Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
O+
Posted: Dec 28, 2018 at 16:17 Quote
hizzity wrote:
Anybody rode the High Rockies? Conditions? What to get out there before heading back to work.

Well- the skiing has been great along the Smith-Dorrien, and at PLPP. Less snow towards Canmore along Spray Lakes.
I enjoyed two laps of excellent packed snow riding in 12 Mile this afternoon. Fat, skinny, no studs? It's all good.
That was possibly my last ride of the 2018 season- it's been a good one!

Posted: Dec 28, 2018 at 17:21 Quote
Moose today - Toothless had around 1 cm of new snow, over dry dirt, no ice. Some of the lower roots a little slippery, upper half was great.

O+
Posted: Dec 31, 2018 at 13:58 Quote
A bit more snow on PV/JP today (and a brisk -15C to start). Pretty much snow covered all the way up and down but reasonably firm. Less obvious ice but some sniper roots. Two the group on plus tires didn't have more issues than those on full fat.

O+
Posted: Dec 31, 2018 at 16:38 Quote
sweaman2 wrote:
A bit more snow on PV/JP today (and a brisk -15C to start). Pretty much snow covered all the way up and down but reasonably firm. Less obvious ice but some sniper roots. Two the group on plus tires didn't have more issues than those on full fat.

Would it be rideable/enjoyable on regular 2.5 tires?

O+
Posted: Dec 31, 2018 at 19:56 Quote
Probably rideable on 2.5. Enjoyment may vary.

O+
Posted: Jan 1, 2019 at 16:05 Quote
Stellar Big Grin conditions this morning to kick off the 2019 riding season!
photo
Ranger-Mama-Snag-Daddy-Strange-Boundary. It felt and rode more like April out there. Mostly dirt with a dusting of dry snow- any areas of accumulated snow were firm and fast.
photo

Posted: Jan 2, 2019 at 10:26 Quote
Little bit off topic, but I am assuming that driving around the gate on moose road is frowned upon? I was riding up the road last week and a blue murano came barreling up behind me with a bike on the back. 10 minutes later flew past me going down with no bike. I was going to stop them, but I wasn't sure if the gate closing was a "soft" close, or what.

O+
Posted: Jan 2, 2019 at 12:22 Quote
syeve wrote:
Little bit off topic, but I am assuming that driving around the gate on moose road is frowned upon? I was riding up the road last week and a blue murano came barreling up behind me with a bike on the back. 10 minutes later flew past me going down with no bike. I was going to stop them, but I wasn't sure if the gate closing was a "soft" close, or what.

I think I saw someone trying to get a RAV4 around the side of the gate the other day when I drove by. Was also curious.

My assumption is that driving around the gate is not correct.

O+
Posted: Jan 2, 2019 at 12:41 Quote
husstler wrote:
syeve wrote:

I think I saw someone trying to get a RAV4 around the side of the gate the other day when I drove by. Was also curious.

Definitely not a soft closure. We want to try to maintain a good relationship with AEP, Shell, and Husky. If you see anyone shuttling Moose road when the gate is closed, or Husky road at any time, kindly ask them to stop. If you aren't comfortable with that feel free to send an email to info@mmbts.com and we can let AEP know. Cheers

Posted: Jan 2, 2019 at 12:44 Quote
chriscarrier wrote:
husstler wrote:
syeve wrote:

Definitely not a soft closure. We want to try to maintain a good relationship with AEP, Shell, and Husky. If you see anyone shuttling Moose road when the gate is closed, or Husky road at any time, kindly ask them to stop. If you aren't comfortable with that feel free to send an email to info@mmbts.com and we can let AEP know. Cheers

Perfect, thanks Chris

O+
Posted: Jan 2, 2019 at 14:16 Quote
chriscarrier wrote:
husstler wrote:
syeve wrote:

Good to know, thanks.

Posted: Jan 2, 2019 at 23:05 Quote
chriscarrier wrote:
husstler wrote:
syeve wrote:

Or just let them do their thing and don't stress and be all mountain biker about it.......our access is limited by so many gated roads that could give us more acces to a wide variety of terrain..... people should be testing the government on their foolish restrictive policies....

or they had a key and were part of the mmbts trail domination and were doing "trail recon" to update the systems information....

CM!

Posted: Jan 3, 2019 at 6:55 Quote
Cro-Mag wrote:
chriscarrier wrote:
husstler wrote:

Or just let them do their thing and don't stress and be all mountain biker about it.......our access is limited by so many gated roads that could give us more acces to a wide variety of terrain..... people should be testing the government on their foolish restrictive policies....

or they had a key and were part of the mmbts trail domination and were doing "trail recon" to update the systems information....

CM!

I can never tell if you are serious, but defn NOT trail recon, some trail runners in the parking lot saw them drive around the gate.

Posted: Jan 3, 2019 at 7:12 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
Stellar Big Grin conditions this morning to kick off the 2019 riding season!
photo
Ranger-Mama-Snag-Daddy-Strange-Boundary. It felt and rode more like April out there. Mostly dirt with a dusting of dry snow- any areas of accumulated snow were firm and fast.
photo

Can confirm tup

Ranger Strange definitely can be ridden on a skinny bike. Very little ice and 99% dirt - actually kicking up dust. Snowy owl can still be fat biked. It's still pretty much all snow for much of it (no ice). Pick your poison.

Posted: Jan 3, 2019 at 19:42 Quote
JG is back to Summer conditions (minus 1 meadow XING and 1 Corner). So good I had to do it twice. No blowdown.

7-27 had a touch of snow in the corners for the 1st half, then mint bottom half. Removed broken willow branches at the entrance, 1 hop-able tree right at the bottom. (Sulphur was icy as hell so I went back up 7-27 cautiously and saw no-one).

Windy, but only bothered me on Family Guy at the powerline XING. Its exposed and seems to funnel wind through the Canyon creek valley. Gusty enough it blew me offline a couple times, and felt like it was going to rip my visor off. Other than than than that warm and smelt like spring.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024805
Mobile Version of Website