Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2019 at 19:56 Quote
What are the chances all the snow is going to miss MM and WBC? I’m itching to get out on skinny tires, not free until Saturday...

O+
Posted: Jan 3, 2019 at 20:47 Quote
saskskier wrote:
What are the chances all the snow is going to miss MM and WBC? I’m itching to get out on skinny tires, not free until Saturday...

It's weather, so who knows for sure...but despite the looming grey wall to the west today, typically these kind of systems leave the foothills windy and dry.

Sunset ride today at Paskapoo. Took in most of the trails in the park on a 10 km route. Fun riding, on grippy solid snow for the most part, enough icy stuff to appreciate studs- caution on the steep upper part of Grunty Eek

Posted: Jan 3, 2019 at 23:31 Quote
syeve wrote:
Cro-Mag wrote:
chriscarrier wrote:

Definitely not a soft closure. We want to try to maintain a good relationship with AEP, Shell, and Husky. If you see anyone shuttling Moose road when the gate is closed, or Husky road at any time, kindly ask them to stop. If you aren't comfortable with that feel free to send an email to info@mmbts.com and we can let AEP know. Cheers

Or just let them do their thing and don't stress and be all mountain biker about it.......our access is limited by so many gated roads that could give us more acces to a wide variety of terrain..... people should be testing the government on their foolish restrictive policies....

or they had a key and were part of the mmbts trail domination and were doing "trail recon" to update the systems information....

CM!

I can never tell if you are serious, but defn NOT trail recon, some trail runners in the parking lot saw them drive around the gate.

No jokes.....

CM!

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2019 at 17:31 Quote
Pnuema-Family Guy from Ings this afternoon, via the west end SS- Ninja shortcut.
Easy riding up Pnuema- a mix of mostly summer dry, or dirt with a light dusting of snow. Family guy almost all bone dry. A few patches of firm snow and short icy bits scattered along all the trails.
Creaking and groaning trees from the strong winds made the climb up Pneuma a bit un-nerving at times. Surprisingly though- no downed trees to report.

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2019 at 18:17 Quote
On the other side one tree down on Seeya about 3 feet up that requires a limbo dismount and Brothers no trees down and some ice here and there but nothing to warrant ice spikers.

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2019 at 18:59 Quote
Ridgeback - dusty or icy
Bobcat - ice at the bottom, soft dust the rest of the way up
Mama - same
Snagmore - same again

I have to think that ride was do able with no studded tires, if one had their wits about them.

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2019 at 15:43 Quote
Razors Edge is 70% clear of snow and Prospectors 95%. Two trees down on Razors connection from Quaite which is mostly snow but groomed. Razors I was only tracks but snow of little consequence and studs not needed. Both rides satisfaction guaranteed.

O+
Posted: Jan 6, 2019 at 20:54 Quote
A metre at the Lake and the trails are STILL dry...crazy awesome times!

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 13:23 Quote
Paskapoo was in excellent shape at the noon hour today- hard packed snow, studs definitely an asset.

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 15:32 Quote
Any thing around Calgary can ride with no studs? Got my new trail bike and would love to get it out before spring on some dirt

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 15:33 Quote
boostin wrote:
Any thing around Calgary can ride with no studs? Got my new trail bike and would love to get it out before spring on some dirt

Head to Moose. All the Southwest trails are dirt top to bottom.

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 16:59 Quote
joshua22 wrote:
boostin wrote:

Head to Moose. All the Southwest trails are dirt top to bottom.

Awesome, I was not sure if they had any snow out there this week but sounds like a fun time

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2019 at 17:01 Quote
Jean Guy and Billy Dog (Billy Jeans?) still dry, loose, and fun as all hell as of today. The trails have done nothing but get better over the last 3 weeks or so.

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 16:46 Quote
shlotch wrote:
Jean Guy and Billy Dog (Billy Jeans?) still dry, loose, and fun as all hell as of today. The trails have done nothing but get better over the last 3 weeks or so.

Here’s to kickin up dust in mid Jan!! Both moose and PM. Couple sniper ice spots in places. We saw a few wrecks today. Hope everyone is ok.

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2019 at 6:36 Quote
kenny99 wrote:
Here’s to kickin up dust in mid Jan!! Both moose and PM. Couple sniper ice spots in places. We saw a few wrecks today. Hope everyone is ok.

Saturday on Ranger-Snakes and Ladders-Ridgeback-Bobcat-Strange Brew. So much is dry out there, that I had been tempted to switch out to summer tires. But was simply too lazy to bother. Good thing, as the studs saved my bacon at least once- there is more ice than meets the eye in some spots. Generally found lower down. Ladders climb still has a few remnant drifts with a narrower packed track, but was fine on skinnies.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.094507
Mobile Version of Website