Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
O+
Posted: Apr 3, 2019 at 9:11 Quote
Anyone had a chance to check out Bragg this week?

O+
Posted: Apr 4, 2019 at 16:21 Quote
tmou1t wrote:
Anyone had a chance to check out Bragg this week?

Haven't been, but have heard from someone who went out there to hike that WBC conditions span the whole gamut from dry to sopping wet to snow and ice. Basically- not ready for riding yet. Or hiking for that matter.
WBC Trail Report
On the other hand- conditions were prime in Bowmont this afternoon! I also rode a loop around 12 Mile, staying above the coulee on the bike path, and returning on dry dirt on what is called Tuscany Bluff on Trailforks.
From above it is obvious that the main 12 Mile trail is not ready yet- yes there are many dry segments visible, but also much wetness remaining.
Even if the weather stays warm and dry- it will need another week at least.

O+
Posted: Apr 4, 2019 at 16:36 Quote
Why do people even bother tying to ride bragg in the spring , it was 8 inchs of snow and ice a week ago , just because the city is drying out doesn't meen anything in the foothills or mountain areas is anywhere close to ride ready , same shit every season , merlinistas are going to stomp and rut all of it and wonder why trail crews can't fix any other areas because they are too busy repairing same sections over and over .

O+
Posted: Apr 4, 2019 at 18:46 Quote
Going to try to head out to Invermere to get a bit of dry riding in.

Riding in the mud is just way too much maintenance and really not that much fun.
Hard on the trails and tough on the equipment.

Bowmont wasn't too bad last week but 20 yards down the wrong trail left me with a mud packed front wheel and too much clean up work to do... You should have seen the dirty looks from the walkers as I rode by slinging mud everywhere! Oops!

Going to try to ride Bowmont tomorrow again.

Posted: Apr 5, 2019 at 3:28 Quote
jmercier wrote:
Why do people even bother tying to ride bragg in the spring , it was 8 inchs of snow and ice a week ago , just because the city is drying out doesn't meen anything in the foothills or mountain areas is anywhere close to ride ready , same shit every season , merlinistas are going to stomp and rut all of it and wonder why trail crews can't fix any other areas because they are too busy repairing same sections over and over .

I'd stomp it and put the trail crew to work.....they need it....

CM!

O+
Posted: Apr 5, 2019 at 10:33 Quote
jmercier wrote:

Thank you for explaining mountain conditions, I was unaware.....

Post was just meant to serve as a general question. Thanks for the updates people. Probably a couple weeks away would be my guess.

O+
Posted: Apr 5, 2019 at 18:58 Quote
Bowmont after work today: mostly dusty.

O+
Posted: Apr 6, 2019 at 15:07 Quote
I rode from the Nose Hill Edgemont entrance to the radio mast on 99% dry trails this morning, just walked the occasional wet spot. I imagine the gullies on the North side are still pretty damp.

O+
Posted: Apr 6, 2019 at 15:12 Quote
jmercier wrote:

"merlinistas" lol. This needs to be said , I do recall parts of the trail system were badly rutted last spring.

Posted: Apr 6, 2019 at 16:23 Quote
I'm planning to check out Canmore's north side tomorrow (Cougar Creek). Anyone been there?

If that doesn't work out, Reclaimer is our fallback plan, as it's been dry (enough) for two weeks.

O+
Posted: Apr 6, 2019 at 16:33 Quote
husstler wrote:

Add busy to that- Bowmont felt like the new Merlin this afternoon.
Cautiously ventured into 12 Mile, and surprise! After all the sun and wind, it's pretty much good to go, if you stick to the sunny side, and avoid or walk a handful of short soft wet areas.

RMR! Haven't heard from you here in ages!

Posted: Apr 7, 2019 at 0:27 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
husstler wrote:

Add busy to that- Bowmont felt like the new Merlin this afternoon.
Cautiously ventured into 12 Mile, and surprise! After all the sun and wind, it's pretty much good to go, if you stick to the sunny side, and avoid or walk a handful of short soft wet areas.

RMR! Haven't heard from you here in ages!

I saw you on the trail a while ago and shouted to you, but I don't think you heard me!

O+
Posted: Apr 7, 2019 at 22:41 Quote
Fish Creek was running well on Saturday. Still some mud on the low stuff but surprisingly dry overall.

Posted: Apr 8, 2019 at 4:09 Quote
jmercier wrote:

People are trying to be mavericks these days for trail report Facebook group clout /slash/ one dickwad says “GOOD TO GO!” and people go despite the pushback.

Facebook ruins everything.

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2019 at 11:00 Quote
mungbean wrote:
jmercier wrote:

People are trying to be mavericks these days for trail report Facebook group clout /slash/ one dickwad says “GOOD TO GO!” and people go despite the pushback.

Facebook ruins everything.

Toothless is GOO TO GO! Also Family Guy for climbing was good up to Billy Dog, then out to the road. Heard first hand that Billy Dog and Jean Guy (Builders entrance) are GTG as well.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.020776
Mobile Version of Website