PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 8:14 Quote
kenny99 wrote:
I 'heard' prospector is good as well?

It is.

Posted: Apr 24, 2019 at 12:16 Quote
kenny99 wrote:
FG is great from the Billy Dog entrance down, as is Billy Dog, toothless, and shoulda is great too (except one short spot near the top) and the very bottom along the road.

Lots of road climbers out the last few nights. Life is good Beer

I 'heard' prospector is good as well?

Prospector was a little greasy in a few spots last week , dried out this week, forecast in Exshaw is 6 days with snow, so could get sloppy over the weekend, particularly the top end... should drain and dry quick though

Posted: May 1, 2019 at 13:01 Quote
Are Merlin or 727 GTG yet? lol
This is what things look like on May 1, on a morning excursion on the WBC ski trails.
Below, 25-30 cm on Loggers, just north of the junction with Ranger Summit-
Loggers Loop at WBC near Ranger Summit crossing. Snow depth 25-30 cm on May 1.
Fatties have been hard at work on Ranger as seen from Loggers. No idea if packed all the way to top, or just to Snowy junction.
Ranger Summit at intersection with Loggers xc ski trail May 1.
Who's afraid of the big bad wolf? For reference-the ski tips are 62 mm wide.

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 11:17 Quote
Are there wolves in this part of Kananaskis ? Wednesday night riders wolf maybe.

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 14:57 Quote
Fxtim wrote:
Are there wolves in this part of Kananaskis ? Wednesday night riders wolf maybe.
Of course there are? not common per say, but they are definitely out there. Pretty damn big dog if it was a dog, but Id agree they look like wolf tracks.

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 15:39 Quote
Fxtim wrote:

Definitely wolf tracks. There were actually two sets, one a bit smaller than the pictured set, which measured roughly 9 x 11 cm, in a couple of cm of overnight snow first thing Wednesday morning along an otherwise untracked section of trail, where I was the first human that morning. This was the second time this winter that I have encountered 2 sets of wolf tracks at WBC in the early morning, in otherwise completely virgin fresh snow. In May about 6 years ago I photographed an even larger set in the mud while riding Elbow Valley trail, just up from where Family Guy finishes. I sent the photo to K-Country's wildlife biologist who confirmed that it was a wolf. So yes- they are out there!
In other news- conditions were re-set at Bowmont this afternoon- 98% dry! Two minor bits of mud on Sideshow, a larger wet area below the dirt jumps, and one tiny spot at the head of Waterfall Valley.

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 18:34 Quote
Bowmont WAS dry- until this evening's thunderstorm left a cm of hail on my deck in Silver SpringsFrown

Posted: May 2, 2019 at 19:47 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
Fxtim wrote:

Definitely wolf tracks. There were actually two sets, one a bit smaller than the pictured set, which measured roughly 9 x 11 cm, in a couple of cm of overnight snow first thing Wednesday morning along an otherwise untracked section of trail, where I was the first human that morning. This was the second time this winter that I have encountered 2 sets of wolf tracks at WBC in the early morning, in otherwise completely virgin fresh snow. In May about 6 years ago I photographed an even larger set in the mud while riding Elbow Valley trail, just up from where Family Guy finishes. I sent the photo to K-Country's wildlife biologist who confirmed that it was a wolf. So yes- they are out there!
In other news- conditions were re-set at Bowmont this afternoon- 98% dry! Two minor bits of mud on Sideshow, a larger wet area below the dirt jumps, and one tiny spot at the head of Waterfall Valley.

Just a fun fact that wolves, foxes and coyote tracks all have 1 distinct feature that separates them from domesticated dogs. Their rear feet will almost always step in the paw print left behind by their front paw. It's an energy saving tactic that dogs lost because of their domestication.

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 7:30 Quote
Cool wolf facts! Fish Creek was 90% last night with only the most shaded aspects holding snow/slop.

Posted: May 3, 2019 at 17:31 Quote
Bowmont back in great condition this afternoon. That forecast, tho.....

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 12:57 Quote
Swine flu in fernie is pretty much perfect!!

Good to see lots of stoked people out

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 17:15 Quote
Swansea was beautiful today!

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 19:58 Quote
Mount seven was also amazing. Except for the drive home. Wtf Alberta?

Posted: May 4, 2019 at 21:31 Quote
tgreid wrote:
Mount seven was also amazing. Except for the drive home. Wtf Alberta?
Sorry everyone. Just had my winter tires removed this week. All this snow is clearly my fault

Posted: May 5, 2019 at 11:58 Quote
Pass Powderkeg was perfect yesterday morning, except snow across the last ski run XING on Buck50.

Then headed to Backdoor to Big Bear to Super Trooper. Big Bear had some lingering snow post hole XINGs near top of climb and first 3rd of descent. Usually only about 5m long, but I probably dismounted 10 times on top part of climb and 10 times on part of descent. Rest was typical dusty, crunchy. No mud. Super trooper was good, 1 big tree down.

There were some moto brap marks on corners, and steeps on big bear. Maybe hopefully maintenance related.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021822
Mobile Version of Website