Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
O+
Posted: May 7, 2019 at 12:00 Quote
lazyname wrote:
Pass Powderkeg was perfect yesterday morning, except snow across the last ski run XING on Buck50.

Then headed to Backdoor to Big Bear to Super Trooper. Big Bear had some lingering snow post hole XINGs near top of climb and first 3rd of descent. Usually only about 5m long, but I probably dismounted 10 times on top part of climb and 10 times on part of descent. Rest was typical dusty, crunchy. No mud. Super trooper was good, 1 big tree down.

There were some moto brap marks on corners, and steeps on big bear. Maybe hopefully maintenance related.

Is this report from Saturday or Sunday? did they get hit with any snow on the weekend? Wondering if things will be g2g for this Friday.

Also wondering about Fish creek bike park if anyone knows what that looks like.

Thanks in advance!

Posted: May 7, 2019 at 15:47 Quote
It was Saturday AM. Looking at forecast I would expect any new snow to be gone (unless it really dumped).

The snow pockets on Big Bear I described I would expect to be stubborn and take a while to disappear. Little North facing crannies, similar to the spots on Cox that linger.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 6:54 Quote
Prospector is rideable. The dirt is pretty much dry except for that one long stretch on the climb that is usually the last to dry out. Maybe 100 metres of mud so we walked around that. A little skiff of snow making things slippery on that last techy little climb. All the rest is great.

They've fenced off the creek and the bridge at the bottom for construction so you have to park at the Legion and ride through the town up to highest street then a left to that paved trail. No biggie. Just so you know - it'll save you some touring around on how to get in to the trail.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 7:51 Quote
kenny99 wrote:
Prospector is rideable. The dirt is pretty much dry except for that one long stretch on the climb that is usually the last to dry out. Maybe 100 metres of mud so we walked around that. A little skiff of snow making things slippery on that last techy little climb. All the rest is great.

They've fenced off the creek and the bridge at the bottom for construction so you have to park at the Legion and ride through the town up to highest street then a left to that paved trail. No biggie. Just so you know - it'll save you some touring around on how to get in to the trail.
Can't park in the bike parking across the street from the school anymore?

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 7:53 Quote
seanondemand wrote:

You can park there, but access across the riverbed is cut off by construction.

O+
Posted: May 9, 2019 at 12:09 Quote
Thursday morning ride, taking in most of the Bowmont and Paskapoo trails.
Only notable mud wallow was on Sideshow, at the usual spot below the dirt jump zone.
The few short greasy patches in Paskapoo are probably dry by now. Overall- great riding on firm dry trails!

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 15:08 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
seanondemand wrote:

You can park there, but access across the riverbed is cut off by construction.

And it'll add 5 km to your ride going around that fence lol

O+
Posted: May 10, 2019 at 12:04 Quote
Anyone know how Prairie View + Jewell Pass might be? High chance of snow?

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 12:13 Quote
Passed by on the way to Canmore. Looks to be a bunch of snow up top.

Nordic Centre is pretty much grease free (couple spots and and a bunch of the xc ski crossings) with nice tacky dirt. Just rode EKG and Odyessy.

Posted: May 10, 2019 at 12:34 Quote
WayneGretzky wrote:

Also I think access might still be shutdown from Barrier lake due to construction

O+
Posted: May 10, 2019 at 12:44 Quote
WayneGretzky wrote:

Almost certainly still snowy/wet. Early morning on May 5- the Barrier area had about 12 cm new snow overnight as I drove HWY 40 on the way to get in one final powder day of the season. Also- Barrier access has been under a construction closure for a while with rumours of tickets being handed out for violators- suspect that still may be the case.

O+
Posted: May 10, 2019 at 19:07 Quote
I thought the parking was closed but you can still access the trails.

aka-bigsteve wrote:
WayneGretzky wrote:

Almost certainly still snowy/wet. Early morning on May 5- the Barrier area had about 12 cm new snow overnight as I drove HWY 40 on the way to get in one final powder day of the season. Also- Barrier access has been under a construction closure for a while with rumours of tickets being handed out for violators- suspect that still may be the case.

O+
Posted: May 10, 2019 at 20:25 Quote
The impression I got (purely driving past) was that there is no access at all.

O+
Posted: May 10, 2019 at 23:34 Quote
Fish creek was great tonight

O+
Posted: May 11, 2019 at 17:29 Quote
Toothless saturday afternoon wet but a great ride .

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.075316
Mobile Version of Website