Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 21:38 Quote
2019 07 22: Baldy Pass, Prairie View, Jewell Pass

Baldy climb: Surprisingly wet, with several sections of standing or flowing water. Stayed clean by going slowly through them; not a big deal, just unexpected.

Baldy descent: Tacky to damp. Nearly perfect, but some roots and rocks were damp enough to require extra precision. Should be fully dry in tomorrow's hot weather.

Prairie View climb: A few puddles. Mostly perfect.

Prairie View descent: Ideal.

Jewell Pass: A few puddles. Mostly perfect.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 8:49 Quote
billbek wrote:
aka-bigsteve wrote:
GambinoSX wrote:
Climbed Family Guy to 727, then up Sulfur Springs and down Ninja Cow and Elbow Valley back to Ing's. Aside from a couple of small puddles on each trail, the conditions were absolutely perfect. Great day out there yesterday. The creek along Ing's parking is all dried up as well.

jmercier wrote:
That loop seems completely backwards

What I have done a few times is up FG, down 727, reload via SS-Pnuema, then back to Ings on FG or SHAFT.

Lol. I was trying to remember the old Ridley's course today. Left from Station Flats and rode up 7-27. Now you might think that after being out for longer than my old one lap times on the course might have been a tip off that I had made a wrong turn. Ended up riding up Family guy and down Ace of Race.
Some muddy spots here and there but all very rideable. Fun day.

Wait a sec - did I read correctly? You rode UP 727? Does anyone else think this is a seriously stupid thing to do?

727 is not Family Guy. There are riders who send that trail really fast with really big airs. I ran into someone else (not literally) climbing it last week and after a "discussion" he turned back.

I'm not the least interested in being a trail cop but come on...

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 9:59 Quote
fargle wrote:
billbek wrote:
aka-bigsteve wrote:

What I have done a few times is up FG, down 727, reload via SS-Pnuema, then back to Ings on FG or SHAFT.

Lol. I was trying to remember the old Ridley's course today. Left from Station Flats and rode up 7-27. Now you might think that after being out for longer than my old one lap times on the course might have been a tip off that I had made a wrong turn. Ended up riding up Family guy and down Ace of Race.

Wait a sec - did I read correctly? You rode UP 727? Does anyone else think this is a seriously stupid thing to do?

727 is not Family Guy. There are riders who send that trail really fast with really big airs. I ran into someone else (not literally) climbing it last week and after a "discussion" he turned back.

I saw that too. Maybe he's mixing up the bottom of Sulphur with 727?

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 13:28 Quote
Morning ride on Ranger-Snakes(down and up)-Daddy-Snag-Boundary. Great conditions, a handful of minor soft spots.
Pleasantly cool in the forest to start, but the heat was full-on by the time I slogged up the loose and rooty pitches in the sun at noon on Boundary. Backyard shade tree and a beer on tap for this afternoon.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 13:33 Quote
fargle wrote:
billbek wrote:
aka-bigsteve wrote:

I know of someone (a canmoron who like many, would typically never go east to ride) who went up 727 by mistake a couple of years ago- he hadn't ridden SS for over a decade and thought that he was going up Pneuma.

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 14:11 Quote
Multiple times I've encountered climbers on 7-27 in the first couple hundred meters above the pneuma intersection. I am guessing it is also the lazy man's choice to duck up that way, when coming up Pneuma... rather than going staying on pneuma another 100m and exiting at the lease.

There is a Strava segment for 7-27 climb!

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 20:24 Quote
Yep. Was fortunate that there wasn't much traffic. One guy and his son coming down.
Did climb the whole darn thing and only got off the bike maybe three times. Was a challenging climb albeit not a lot of fun. It has probably been over 10 years that I had been in that area,
Going back out tomorrow so watch out.....

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 20:33 Quote
billbek wrote:

Up 7-27? Confused

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 20:48 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
billbek wrote:

Up 7-27? Confused

Won't be doing that again....

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 21:06 Quote
billbek wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
billbek wrote:

Up 7-27? Confused

Won't be doing that again....

Beer

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 9:18 Quote
7-27 is a downhill trail wanks , end of story

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 10:37 Quote
Silliker269 wrote:
7-27 is a downhill trail wanks , end of story

It's not, and that's the problem.

1. It's impractical to physically prevent "unconventional" riders from riding the wrong way on a trail. Ideally, every downhill-oriented trail would end on a long, steep slope that discourages climbing, but that terrain doesn't always exist.

2. One of the terms of use for the land is that trails must be multi-use and cannot be one-way. We can't officially ban people from going up the trails on horses, for example. I've met people who loudly and sanctimoniously proclaim the DH trail they're riding up is not a one-way trail and they can do whatever they want, which always leaves me thinking:

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 11:15 Quote
Request: info on the Lusk Pass climb.

A friend has proposed riding Jumpingpound Ridge and Cox Hill via climbing Lusk Pass, instead of Summit Trail, then out-and-back on Jumpingpound Ridge before proceeding to Cox.

Sounds like a reasonable way to minimize time on the road and maximize views, but we're unfamiliar with the Lusk climb. Anyone have thoughts on this plan?

Thanks!

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 13:08 Quote
It's a steep ass grind. It does cut time out, I usually end up walking a lot if I go that way as I don't enjoy steep ass grinds.

R-M-R wrote:

A friend has proposed riding Jumpingpound Ridge and Cox Hill via climbing Lusk Pass, instead of Summit Trail, then out-and-back on Jumpingpound Ridge before proceeding to Cox.

Sounds like a reasonable way to minimize time on the road and maximize views, but we're unfamiliar with the Lusk climb. Anyone have thoughts on this plan?

Thanks!

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 13:37 Quote
danny wrote:
It's a steep ass grind. It does cut time out, I usually end up walking a lot if I go that way as I don't enjoy steep ass grinds.

R-M-R wrote:

Thanks!

Old-school trail questions bring out old-school riders Wink

Would you say Lusk is better or worse than Summit?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011534
Mobile Version of Website