Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 14:07 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
danny wrote:
It's a steep ass grind. It does cut time out, I usually end up walking a lot if I go that way as I don't enjoy steep ass grinds.

R-M-R wrote:
Request: info on the Lusk Pass climb.

A friend has proposed riding Jumpingpound Ridge and Cox Hill via climbing Lusk Pass, instead of Summit Trail, then out-and-back on Jumpingpound Ridge before proceeding to Cox.

Sounds like a reasonable way to minimize time on the road and maximize views, but we're unfamiliar with the Lusk climb. Anyone have thoughts on this plan?

Thanks!

Old-school trail questions bring out old-school riders Wink

Would you say Lusk is better or worse than Summit?

Harder then Summit, (as Danny said, steep arse climb) but it gets you to onto the JP trail so you skip the 2 alpine meadows on JP. Hope that makes sense! More direct and cuts time down if you are time crunched.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 14:09 Quote
quinner wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
danny wrote:
It's a steep ass grind. It does cut time out, I usually end up walking a lot if I go that way as I don't enjoy steep ass grinds.

Harder then Summit, (as Danny said, steep arse climb) but it gets you to onto the JP trail so you skip the 2 alpine meadows on JP. Hope that makes sense! More direct and cuts time down if you are time crunched.

Thanks, Nick! We would actually ride JP as an out-and-back, covering the meadows twice. Not time-crunched, just riding with a guy who's very averse to pedaling the road!

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 14:46 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
billbek wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

Up 7-27? Confused

Won't be doing that again....

Beer

I can testify today that 7-27 is waaay more fun going down.

Long day for an old guy. Started out on Family Guy. Weather was iffy when I left the Ing's mine parking lot and started raining once I was by Billy Dog by a few hundred meters. Wasn't sure if the rain was to stay so headed back to the lot.

Drove over to the Moose parking lot and the weather brightened up so rode up Pnuema to the bench by the lease and did 7-27 and out on SS and busted my tired ass back to Moose on the highway. Not ideal but it worked. Didn't encounter anyone climbing 7-27 on my decent..... Big Grin

There must have been a fair amount of water fall overnight. There was more puddles and standing water than two days ago. Still not bad but ideally a couple of dry days will help.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 15:04 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
quinner wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

Thanks, Nick! We would actually ride JP as an out-and-back, covering the meadows twice. Not time-crunched, just riding with a guy who's very averse to pedaling the road!
Damn those Road hating people eh!

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 15:42 Quote
quinner wrote:
Damn those Road hating people eh!

I like roads on my road bike, but Powderface Trail on a burly bike isn't my favourite. If Lusk turns out to be a decent climb, this could be a good alternative. Who doesn't like spending more time on an alpine ridge, right?

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 15:56 Quote
billbek wrote:
I feel like this begs the question to start a productive/meaningful dialogue, what drove you to climb 7-27 in the first place? And what could be improved to prevent this in the future for other users?

There's a sign at the bottom (can't remember what it says exactly) suggesting its a one-way downhill trail. Is it not visible? Also, did the jumps and berms and not clue you in on it being a DH flow trail?

Discuss

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 16:04 Quote
Since were on the topic of JP/Cox, what is the current condition of the South Trail? Is anybody riding it anymore? I can't remember if it was post flood or even before when it was eroded/destroyed and I don't imagine anything has changed/improved since but thought I would ask anyway.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 16:24 Quote
robnow wrote:
billbek wrote:
I feel like this begs the question to start a productive/meaningful dialogue, what drove you to climb 7-27 in the first place? And what could be improved to prevent this in the future for other users?

There's a sign at the bottom (can't remember what it says exactly) suggesting its a one-way downhill trail. Is it not visible? Also, did the jumps and berms and not clue you in on it being a DH flow trail?

Discuss

If you read back, I was trying to follow the old Ridley's course from the 80s and I hadn't been up there in 10 or so years.
I just remember that it was the first right from SS and took the wrong trail by mistake. I saw the trail marker, but didn't stop to read it. Trail identification could go a long way @ moose. The place is honeycombed with trails that I don't remember because they were not there in previous years.
Directional signs would be useful. Something like a small DH sign that can be seen while ascending that could be similar to the TFF signs.
The bottom of 7-27 is really not all that bad and once on trail stubborn people hate to give up on it....

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 7:56 Quote
I haven't ridden the South trail for a long time, as I believe it offers nothing / no extra Alpine. Summit always makes most sense to me because it has the highest starting elevation, so you make easy gains on the road. I find the road a relaxing and enjoyable warm up with nice views.

I don't understand someone complaining about pedaling the road on an Enduro bike versus the climbs on Lusk / Summit / Cox. (lock your suspension, put your seat up and rip it).

That said, climbing Lusk and doubling down on JP ridge both ways seems like a decent way to get bonus Alpine time.

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 8:15 Quote
robnow wrote:
Since were on the topic of JP/Cox, what is the current condition of the South Trail? Is anybody riding it anymore? I can't remember if it was post flood or even before when it was eroded/destroyed and I don't imagine anything has changed/improved since but thought I would ask anyway.

I "rode" (hiked a lot) of the south trail a couple years ago, after the flood, and it did not seem to be flood damaged. Still sucks more than the summit trail, and you lose so much elevation on the road. That being said, I'm sure you could climb it hassle-free.

Posted: Jul 25, 2019 at 15:48 Quote
We used to add in South Trail as an out and back...so up Summit, south on South Trail as it had a fun downhill (although those standards may have changed, kind of like how Moosepackers DH was once considered a thingWink ), climb back up and continue back on JP and Cox. The traverse sucked as it was rocky (similar to top of Summit) but modern enduro bikes have changed that.

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 at 16:55 Quote
robnow wrote:
billbek wrote:

Discuss

It's a "Do Not Enter" sign at bottom of 7-27 where it meets with Sulphur Springs.

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 6:57 Quote
dilusion56 wrote:
robnow wrote:

I "rode" (hiked a lot) of the south trail a couple years ago, after the flood, and it did not seem to be flood damaged. Still sucks more than the summit trail, and you lose so much elevation on the road. That being said, I'm sure you could climb it hassle-free.

I love the south trail, but can't contrast it with the other climbs as I've never done them. First time I did the south trail I liked it so much I've never bothered to try the other ascents. Last fall it was as fun as ever.

It starts with a long and hard steep section that gets progressively more technical, only the best can clean this. Once up on the ridge, the remaining climb to Jumpingpound is really fun. It's an easier gradient but full of rocks and roots with multiple line choices.

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 20:03 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
danny wrote:

R-M-R wrote:
Request: info on the Lusk Pass climb.

A friend has proposed riding Jumpingpound Ridge and Cox Hill via climbing Lusk Pass, instead of Summit Trail, then out-and-back on Jumpingpound Ridge before proceeding to Cox.

Sounds like a reasonable way to minimize time on the road and maximize views, but we're unfamiliar with the Lusk climb. Anyone have thoughts on this plan?

Thanks!

Almost expected Von Rock to show up!
Late to the party, but I don't mind the Lusk climb. Generally pretty easygoing with the exception of the one push section not far below Cox junction. Yes to continuing up and back to the summit of JP before Cox as well, most riders should expect one short push. Another plan that I like is the Jumpingpound Ridge "lollipop", which is up Lusk to JP summit, down the south JP ridge, 3km of gravel road north and up Summit trail, then down to Lusk. Or if you're feeling frisky- do Cox instead of descending to Lusk. Like most riders it seems- I haven't gone up the south trail since the mid 2000's- it was always a bit of a technical sufferfest which was made much worse by the 2005 deluge. Kudos to anyone who can clean that climb now.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011203
Mobile Version of Website