Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 4:20 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
Almost expected Von Rock to show up!
Late to the party, but I don't mind the Lusk climb. Generally pretty easygoing with the exception of the one push section not far below Cox junction. Yes to continuing up and back to the summit of JP before Cox as well, most riders should expect one short push. Another plan that I like is the Jumpingpound Ridge "lollipop", which is up Lusk to JP summit, down the south JP ridge, 3km of gravel road north and up Summit trail, then down to Lusk. Or if you're feeling frisky- do Cox instead of descending to Lusk. Like most riders it seems- I haven't gone up the south trail since the mid 2000's- it was always a bit of a technical sufferfest which was made much worse by the 2005 deluge. Kudos to anyone who can clean that climb now.

Thanks for chipping in.

Haven't ridden the south climb since about 2010, when I discovered the Summit climb.

Interesting route suggestions. I'll always want to include the Cox descent when I'm in that area and I don't know that I have the energy for adding a second ascent of Jumpingpound Ridge to an already big ride!

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 9:06 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
aka-bigsteve wrote:
Almost expected Von Rock to show up!
Late to the party, but I don't mind the Lusk climb. Generally pretty easygoing with the exception of the one push section not far below Cox junction. Yes to continuing up and back to the summit of JP before Cox as well, most riders should expect one short push. Another plan that I like is the Jumpingpound Ridge "lollipop", which is up Lusk to JP summit, down the south JP ridge, 3km of gravel road north and up Summit trail, then down to Lusk. Or if you're feeling frisky- do Cox instead of descending to Lusk. Like most riders it seems- I haven't gone up the south trail since the mid 2000's- it was always a bit of a technical sufferfest which was made much worse by the 2005 deluge. Kudos to anyone who can clean that climb now.

Thanks for chipping in.

Haven't ridden the south climb since about 2010, when I discovered the Summit climb.

Interesting route suggestions. I'll always want to include the Cox descent when I'm in that area and I don't know that I have the energy for adding a second ascent of Jumpingpound Ridge to an already big ride!

Truth be told- despite thinking about it, I have yet to combine the JP lollipop with Cox. It's the thought of then having to grind back up the gravel from Dawson at the end that gets me. The descent to Lusk, while wide and mostly easy, is fast and more fun than many give it credit for. Some of those corners would be great with berms added!

Posted: Jul 30, 2019 at 19:36 Quote
[Quote="aka-bigsteve"][Quote="R-M-R"]
aka-bigsteve wrote:
Some of those corners would be great with berms added!

You know what "U should" do.....

CM!

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 4:44 Quote
Snow cover everywhere! If it doesnt warm up too much, the packed trails in a few days will be ridable. Fish Creek, Benchlands, Bowmont, are all good snow rides. We are at the mercy of the hikers and dog people to pack em down over the next few days.
Moab & Fruita are still good. Sedona is good too. Costa Rica is pretty wet right now!

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 7:29 Quote
Groov1r wrote:
Snow cover everywhere! If it doesnt warm up too much, the packed trails in a few days will be ridable. Fish Creek, Benchlands, Bowmont, are all good snow rides. We are at the mercy of the hikers and dog people to pack em down over the next few days.
Moab & Fruita are still good. Sedona is good too. Costa Rica is pretty wet right now!

Must have gone deep with the edibles before writing this one

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 9:00 Quote
Groov1r wrote:

I’m out Of town right now... this is cruel

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 at 9:52 Quote
VPS13 wrote:
Groov1r wrote:

Must have gone deep with the edibles before writing this one

lollol

Posted: Aug 2, 2019 at 8:01 Quote
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0l6NiJnmNs/

We all know thieves are scum but this is brutal...

"Friends in the Calgary area, please keep an eye out for this heavily modified/adaptive V10 owned by @good_n_you and STOLEN off the back of his van in Calgary AB on Monday.

All stolen bikes are important to their owners, but this one is just a bit more important due to its uniqueness and the freedom it provides to Ryan."

Posted: Aug 4, 2019 at 12:18 Quote
I rode Quirk Creek/ Wildhorse yesterday. No issues except that parts of the South end of the Quirk Creek road are being reclaimed requiring a walk through the forest beside the road for a few hundred metres. Wildhorse is such a fun trail, one of the best old-school downhills.

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 at 10:23 Quote
garyfischer wrote:
I rode Quirk Creek/ Wildhorse yesterday. No issues except that parts of the South end of the Quirk Creek road are being reclaimed requiring a walk through the forest beside the road for a few hundred metres. Wildhorse is such a fun trail, one of the best old-school downhills.

Interesting , might have to give this one a go !
Thanks

Posted: Aug 12, 2019 at 11:58 Quote
Hearing this about Wildhorse makes me wonder about Forget Me Not rounder. Anybody been on that since the floods?I know it's not the type of riding most want to di these days, but part of me misses the old Kcountry epics.

Posted: Aug 13, 2019 at 6:14 Quote
TOLOCOMan wrote:
Hearing this about Wildhorse makes me wonder about Forget Me Not rounder. Anybody been on that since the floods?I know it's not the type of riding most want to di these days, but part of me misses the old Kcountry epics.

Rode this a few years ago. No flood issues. Still a beat down, even with a modern bike.

Posted: Aug 17, 2019 at 7:02 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:

Nooooooooo!

Posted: Aug 17, 2019 at 15:32 Quote
billbek wrote:

Nooooooooo!

Not to worry, those white slopes on upper Moose were all burnt off by 10:30. But it serves as a reminder that we will be lucky if we have 2 1/2 good months left in the 2019 dirt season.
Ranger-Snakes-Mama-Snag-Daddy-Strange etc. at mid-day. Good riding: 95% damp but firm, innumerable small puddles to splash through.

Active Forum Threads
2 mins ago - Pig ugliest AM/Enduro/XC/DH bikes out there if yours is a pig post it!
18 mins ago - Official Vernon Riders Thread
26 mins ago - Taking a bike camp
28 mins ago - Aggresive Hardtails Post Em !
29 mins ago - The Word Association Game
32 mins ago - DVO appreciation and support thread (AKA the Ced Thread) - Pics, ride reports and discussion
47 mins ago - RATE MY RIDE XC/AM - RATE THE BIKE posted above you.
51 mins ago - Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
52 mins ago - YT Capra Owners
1 hours ago - Show your all mountain bike
1 hours ago - Jeffsy 29er Thread
1 hours ago - Anyone want to link up at Trumbull Pequonnock Sunday Mornings?
1 hours ago - The All Mountain Rat Bike Thread [Hardtails only]
1 hours ago - The Sexiest AM/FR/Enduro Hardtail Thread (Please read the opening post)
1 hours ago - Dartmoor Bikes Owners Group
2 hours ago - Formula Cura 4 vs Hope T3 V4 vs Shimano XTR BR-M9120
2 hours ago - Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
2 hours ago - Post Your Trek Remedy, Scratch, or Slash!
2 hours ago - Advise needed => 29" carbon wheel set for XC races and training rides
2 hours ago - Hightower and Cane Creek (db-inline and dbAir cs)
3 hours ago - Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
3 hours ago - Should I go from 32t crank to 30t or 28t?
3 hours ago - 100 (or more) days of biking in 2019
3 hours ago - Searching for a Transition Bottlerocket (pink), size S
3 hours ago - Old Riders....But not "Old School"

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020906
Mobile Version of Website