Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Oct 18, 2019 at 17:23 Quote
die-tze wrote:
Reasonably new to Calgary area riding. Are there any other trails that are similar to Reclaimer? (i.e. shuttleable/road accessible, minimal pedalling sections,etc)

Moose mountain is your best bet......other than that we have been shut out in this part of the province

CM!

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 at 23:00 Quote
Cro-Mag wrote:
die-tze wrote:
Reasonably new to Calgary area riding. Are there any other trails that are similar to Reclaimer? (i.e. shuttleable/road accessible, minimal pedalling sections,etc)

Moose mountain is your best bet......other than that we have been shut out in this part of the province

CM!

I have definitely heard of moose. I’m sure it’s a bit late to be making plans for tomorrow, but if there’s anyone going out there on a Saturday before winter starts, I’d love to come with! In the meantime Canmore will be excellent.

Posted: Oct 18, 2019 at 23:53 Quote
die-tze wrote:
Cro-Mag wrote:
die-tze wrote:

CM!

I have definitely heard of moose. I’m sure it’s a bit late to be making plans for tomorrow, but if there’s anyone going out there on a Saturday before winter starts, I’d love to come with! In the meantime Canmore will be excellent.

Check out the Moose Mountain Shuttle group, Ride the Rockies Trail Report: Calgary and Area and the MMBTS Facebook groups for shuttles and (mostly) pretty up to date trail conditions.

Latest Moose report from the president of MMBTS: "Rode family guy to toothless today. As previously mentioned mostly dry with a few puddles and ice in shady areas. Snow becomes thick around the toothless entrance. Trails will likely get worse before they get better as the frost and snow melts over the weekend."

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 10:59 Quote
Good at CNC yesterday. Snowline was closing in at far edge of odyssey. Just a few slimy bits.

Posted: Oct 19, 2019 at 16:56 Quote
The toe, topp notch, star wars, return of the jedi this afternoon.

A little damp due to a recent skiff of snow when i started this afternoon at around 1. Pretty tacky and dry closer to Star wars but then the snow came back and slickened things up.

Big, wet flakes by the time I left at 3:30 but once I passed Canmore, it was dry and sunny again.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 8:33 Quote
Swansea is good to the top. Little bit of mud at top of south park but other than that it's all awesome conditions.

Posted: Oct 22, 2019 at 22:39 Quote
Toothless was mint tonight, a couple rideable snow patches but otherwise dry

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 13:42 Quote
Rode up family guy today on my fat bike - snowy and icy on the bottom (before the first boardwalk) and icy exiting the trees near the power line/cutline, then snowy up the power line crossing to billy dog, otherwise the trail was mostly dry/bare with the odd patches of snow.

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 17:40 Quote
2019 11 17 - Elbow Valley & Sugar Mama: Snow, slush, mud, dry

Scouting hike on Elbow Valley and Sugar Mama today.

• Elbow Valley: Fully covered in ice and slush. It was soft this afternoon, but probably very sketchy early in the day.
• Sugar Mama - bottom to the steep climb after the bridge: Mostly ice.
• Sugar Mama - plateau after the climb to Bobcat: Fairly even distribution of snow, mud, and dry(ish).

Summer tires will sink in and are not recommended, unless early in the morning. Fat tires may be okay, but it's still best for the trail if you wait a while or stick to early mornings.

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 18:18 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
2019 11 17 - Elbow Valley & Sugar Mama: Snow, slush, mud, dry

Scouting hike on Elbow Valley and Sugar Mama today.

• Elbow Valley: Fully covered in ice and slush. It was soft this afternoon, but probably very sketchy early in the day.
• Sugar Mama - bottom to the steep climb after the bridge: Mostly ice.
• Sugar Mama - plateau after the climb to Bobcat: Fairly even distribution of snow, mud, and dry(ish).

Summer tires will sink in and are not recommended, unless early in the morning. Fat tires may be okay, but it's still best for the trail if you wait a while or stick to early mornings.

Thanks for the update.......was debating if we should get out or not but now definately going out for a rip on an ebike with skinny mud spikes......sounds like all time hero conditions!

CM!

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 18:35 Quote
R-M-R wrote:

Pneuma was similar (soft snow/almost slushy with lots of icy patches) from 7-27 down to the cut line and from Sulfur down to the bottom of Moose Mountain road before lunch, pretty easy to punch through if you got off the packed line. Almost completely bare and dry though between the cut line and Sulfur

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 at 19:28 Quote
Cro-Mag wrote:
Thanks for the update.......was debating if we should get out or not but now definately going out for a rip on an ebike with skinny mud spikes......sounds like all time hero conditions!

CM!

The ice is pretty patchy, so things can quickly go from max traction to zero traction.

Much of the trail had the consistency of plasticine. You're going to tear it up a fair bit.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 at 1:23 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Cro-Mag wrote:

CM!

The ice is pretty patchy, so things can quickly go from max traction to zero traction.

Much of the trail had the consistency of plasticine. You're going to tear it up a fair bit.

Sounds sick bro! We love to rip it up that what bikes are all about!

CM!

Posted: Dec 6, 2019 at 11:37 Quote
Hello, I'm a french student at sports management school in Paris. With an other student of my school, we made a marketing case on practice of mountain bike in England. we would like to know if you agree to post our questionnaire on your page and have people respond to it ? (Thank you for your attention and sorry for my English)

https://forms.gle/81fzCiEzo2LUYwP18

Posted: Dec 7, 2019 at 17:35 Quote
Well, not sure how relevant Calgary and area is to England...

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013071
Mobile Version of Website