Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 9:50 Quote
"Your average ebike customer is an older dude who's fitness is decreasing, very few of them know that you can hack them. The people who do often choose not to so that their warranty is kept in tact.

Most of these people use ebikes as a tool to keep them enjoying the sport as their legs get weaker. I think they are important to our sport and will help advance bike technologies and will ultimately improve support for trails by the general public."

Whilst I agree with the above and in 10 years time when I'm hoping to keep up with my then 16 year old son I'll probably be at the front of the queue I do have reservations.

Namely my biggest fear being that (and this is a great example of it) the powers that be decide that it's too hard for them to distinguish between pedal bikes, "legal" E-bikes and "illegal" E-bikes like the one above and just decide to ban them all.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 9:58 Quote
sweaman2 wrote:
"Your average ebike customer is an older dude who's fitness is decreasing, very few of them know that you can hack them. The people who do often choose not to so that their warranty is kept in tact.

Most of these people use ebikes as a tool to keep them enjoying the sport as their legs get weaker. I think they are important to our sport and will help advance bike technologies and will ultimately improve support for trails by the general public."

Whilst I agree with the above and in 10 years time when I'm hoping to keep up with my then 16 year old son I'll probably be at the front of the queue I do have reservations.

Namely my biggest fear being that (and this is a great example of it) the powers that be decide that it's too hard for them to distinguish between pedal bikes, "legal" E-bikes and "illegal" E-bikes like the one above and just decide to ban them all.
The more people we have on bikes, electric or not means we have a larger number of people to advocate for trail use and who will likely slow up to help on trail days.

Things without cranks and pedals should be immediately be black balled. If it comes down to it registration for electric bikes may be useful...

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 10:01 Quote
Pretty humiliating to be seen in Fish Creek on one of those if you ask meFacepalm Never mind illegal.....

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 14:19 Quote
sweaman2 wrote:

I dunno about you guys, but I haven't seen the 'older dude with declining fitness' example play out that much in practice. While it's certainly an appealing feature of what an ebike use could be (and maybe it'll allow me to keep riding one day down the road), my small-sample, anecdotal experience hasn't seen a whole bunch of this.

In contrast, while I've seen quite the increase in ebike usage in both our local areas (particularly in the Elbow Valley) and also during trips further west (such as North Vancouver and Squamish), it is typically groups of normal, young people. People who could be perfectly served with a 'normal' bike.

Just curious about what others have experienced.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 17:17 Quote
shlotch wrote:
sweaman2 wrote:

I dunno about you guys, but I haven't seen the 'older dude with declining fitness' example play out that much in practice. While it's certainly an appealing feature of what an ebike use could be (and maybe it'll allow me to keep riding one day down the road), my small-sample, anecdotal experience hasn't seen a whole bunch of this.

In contrast, while I've seen quite the increase in ebike usage in both our local areas (particularly in the Elbow Valley) and also during trips further west (such as North Vancouver and Squamish), it is typically groups of normal, young people. People who could be perfectly served with a 'normal' bike.

I've run into two older gentlemen out Moose way, they were enjoying the pedal up the road, heading down family guy. Both had previously sold all their bike gear due to knee issues that extensive pedaling created weeks of aggravation. They demo'd the e-bikes and had that season (2018 summer?) bought their own Without the pedal assist they said their biking days were long done. I think between the two of them they had something like 30+ years experience riding, so they were stoked to be able to get even on one trail a weekend. These guys, or situations like theirs, are where my I give a plus to E-bikes... but that's about as for as I go. Gotta remember all those guys that pioneered things are not spring chickens anymore! These bike will get a lot of 'old-school' back on the dirt again.

Those bikes in the links earlier posted though.... NOT what should be on a trail... those are moto all the way. They can battle the gravel bike crowds on the fire roads with the dirt bikes.

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 19:58 Quote
adriemel83 wrote:
shlotch wrote:
sweaman2 wrote:

I've run into two older gentlemen out Moose way, they were enjoying the pedal up the road, heading down family guy. Both had previously sold all their bike gear due to knee issues that extensive pedaling created weeks of aggravation. They demo'd the e-bikes and had that season (2018 summer?) bought their own Without the pedal assist they said their biking days were long done. I think between the two of them they had something like 30+ years experience riding, so they were stoked to be able to get even on one trail a weekend. These guys, or situations like theirs, are where my I give a plus to E-bikes... but that's about as for as I go. Gotta remember all those guys that pioneered things are not spring chickens anymore! These bike will get a lot of 'old-school' back on the dirt again.

Those bikes in the links earlier posted though.... NOT what should be on a trail... those are moto all the way. They can battle the gravel bike crowds on the fire roads with the dirt bikes.

Man you guys are all such babies......let people have fun.......we don't need the Ontario fun police showing up......get a bike and tear it up that's what its always been about.... stop being such pussies.....more evidence to support my claim that mountain bikers are lame!

CM!

Posted: Jan 28, 2020 at 22:48 Quote
shlotch wrote:
sweaman2 wrote:

Every one we sold at 22x prior to my departure had been sold to somebody 50+ who had old injuries that where beginning to cause mobility issues.

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 7:58 Quote
Curious if the o/p stopped and educated the e biker or just looked the other way and them proceeded to jump on the phone to bitch about it?

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 9:34 Quote
Cro-Mag wrote:

Man you guys are all such babies......let people have fun.......we don't need the Ontario fun police showing up......get a bike and tear it up that's what its always been about.... stop being such pussies.....more evidence to support my claim that mountain bikers are lame!

CM!

More moto- yes, that's what we need.
Although it's not my thing, I don't get worked up by low powered, pedal assist e-bikes, used by those who need the help.
Funny thing is though- mostly I see healthy looking people roughly half my age (I'm 64) riding e-bikes on local trails.
Last spring in Bowmont, I encountered an outdoor ed class of teens, all on e-bikes. Made me feel a bit sad actually.
Is that the future of biking, and outdoor activity and fitness in general?

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 9:45 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
Cro-Mag wrote:

CM!

Although it's not my thing, I don't get worked up by low powered, pedal assist e-bikes, used by those who need the help.
Funny thing is though- mostly I see healthy looking people roughly half my age (I'm 64) riding e-bikes on local trails.
Last spring in Bowmont, I encountered an outdoor ed class of teens, all on e-bikes. Made me feel a bit sad actually.
Why is it sad? What is sad is your elitest opinion that you have to "earn your turns" at least the kids were outside not behind a screen.
I garuntee once you ride one you will buy one.
I rode 30km on my bafang fat bike conversion, average 13 km/hr and my legs were pretty worked.

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 9:57 Quote
I ride trails 100x a year and still havent seen an e-bike on the trails. (Other than Revy mountain resort rentals). I suppose I'm usually trying to avoid people / trail traffic.

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 10:39 Quote
d-man wrote:
aka-bigsteve wrote:
Cro-Mag wrote:

CM!

Why is it sad? What is sad is your elitest opinion that you have to "earn your turns" at least the kids were outside not behind a screen.
I garuntee once you ride one you will buy one.
I rode 30km on my bafang fat bike conversion, average 13 km/hr and my legs were pretty worked.

So are you saying we should encourage a population that's even less fit, that doesn't learn that hard work can be rewarding, and where everyone gets a gold star?

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 10:42 Quote
Anybody have any intel on High Rockies trail conditions for fat biking (currently)? Friends said WBC is deteriorating to ice. Prairie View is all time if you haven't heard. Went for it twice on weekend it was so good!!

Maybe ski hills will get some more snow (fingers crossed). If not, may need to be a bit more creative for a fat bike ride this weekend.

Eastlands is still awesome as of last night. Packed snow if anyone is wondering. No ice yet other than a few natural ice flows.

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 11:27 Quote
kenny99 wrote:
Anybody have any intel on High Rockies trail conditions for fat biking (currently)? Friends said WBC is deteriorating to ice. Prairie View is all time if you haven't heard. Went for it twice on weekend it was so good!!

Maybe ski hills will get some more snow (fingers crossed). If not, may need to be a bit more creative for a fat bike ride this weekend.

Eastlands is still awesome as of last night. Packed snow if anyone is wondering. No ice yet other than a few natural ice flows.

PVJP needs a fatty or just + studs?

Posted: Jan 29, 2020 at 12:06 Quote
husstler wrote:
kenny99 wrote:

PVJP needs a fatty or just + studs?

A bunch of people went without studs on saturday and seemed fine. My buddy didn't have studs on sunday and was fine on the whole ride until we crossed the ice. It was a bit windy out and he had a helluva time trying to move on the ice and the wind blew him over a few times. It was quite comical to my wife and I lol . Coles notes - I think you'd be totally fine without studs until you go across the ice. Which maybe you don't want to anymore as it's been a bit warmer. The ice is quite deep but I'm not gonna recommend anyone going across it - unless someone knows the true depths and safety of it. The trail is perfect packed snow!! I think it's even better in the winter on a fat bike than it is in the summer. IMO.

I just re-read your question.....There was one guy on a skinny with studs and he did ok. He was making a bit of a skinny rut but I think you'd be ok on a plus with studs.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009261
Mobile Version of Website