Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 11:25 Quote
Sledding clubs are the same, groomed trails up to the alpine don't exist without memberships, donations and trail fees. People are more than happy to step up and pay to have quality groomed trails even though there are plenty of un-groomed free alternatives as well.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 18:32 Quote
d-man wrote:
aka-bigsteve wrote:
Cro-Mag wrote:

Trails have been made for free and maintained for free before.....get out there and work, quit sitting in your office chairs and flinging money around on our computers like it means something.....

CM!

Our resident curmudgeon has spoken! To tell you the truth- I'm feeling a bit curmudgeonly myself lately.
I'm very familiar with user maintainance of bike trails, however xc ski trails are a different matter altogether (as I'm sure you know).
Read the GBCTA statement...
Poor xc skiers might have to break some trail themselves. People losing jobs and going bankrupt and you're worried about free ski trails? Wow never ceases to amaze me on people priorities.

I don't believe that Steve said he wanted the ski trails groomed for free. Most younger people realize that they would like to pay a user fee but there are very vocal group of people that feel it should be free. Grooming does make the sport more enjoyable as you get to kick and glide as opposed to trudge the whole day. Canmore Nordic Centre does not charge enough for their passes in my opinion and it would be great to see a trail access fee that covered grooming in the parks and also went to fund trail improvements on the summer trails also. I don't know why a guy that lives in Invermere has such a strong opinion about what goes on in Alberta??

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 18:38 Quote
There's also the question of what's free and what's not. Access to public land can be free, but access to groomed trails may not be free.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 19:20 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
There's also the question of what's free and what's not. Access to public land can be free, but access to groomed trails may not be free.

I know when I went to ski in Gatineau years ago, trails were free, but parking was very expensive and no parking on roads at any time. It was the same for hiking in the summer actually.

User fees are a slippery slope as a lot of the money collected goes to collecting the fees. Should the ring road be like the 401, a toll road? I think so!

A friend sent me some nice looking pictures of great winter conditions from the East Slopes today so still good fat biking to be had on north facing slopes.

Posted: Apr 1, 2020 at 20:03 Quote
R-M-R wrote:

The yuppie trail association of "generation expectation" is recommending the following....

"The approach recommended by the GBCTA is a province wide vehicle access fee for all provincial land, whether in a Park or on public land. The fee could be daily, weekly or annually, with a variety of payment options including online or as part of the vehicle licence registration process. The GBCTA believes this is the most effective and efficient approach with the greatest ease for enforcement. "

I believe this land is ours and we pay for this access with our taxes......suggesting the double dip approach is no solution to the issue, peoples lack of work and willingness to get their hands dirty without some organized hot dog munching prize giveaway fest and their idea that trails should just be there for them to use at their pleasure and in tip top shape is the issue.

CM!

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 6:40 Quote
Cro-Mag wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

The yuppie trail association of "generation expectation" is recommending the following....

"The approach recommended by the GBCTA is a province wide vehicle access fee for all provincial land, whether in a Park or on public land. The fee could be daily, weekly or annually, with a variety of payment options including online or as part of the vehicle licence registration process. The GBCTA believes this is the most effective and efficient approach with the greatest ease for enforcement. "

I believe this land is ours and we pay for this access with our taxes......suggesting the double dip approach is no solution to the issue, peoples lack of work and willingness to get their hands dirty without some organized hot dog munching prize giveaway fest and their idea that trails should just be there for them to use at their pleasure and in tip top shape is the issue.

CM!
So they want every single vehicle registered in the province to pay for access to public lands so they can have grooming instead of just charging $20 per skier? Hahahahahaha Whoever thought of this must be ex government finance Dept....

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 7:07 Quote
Cro-Mag wrote:
I believe this land is ours and we pay for this access with our taxes

I agree it should be that way, but if something isn't included in the government's budget, then you didn't pay for it. It all depends on what was in the budget. My understanding is the provincial government is proposing partnerships with local organizations and / or businesses to manage the land, in which case some areas may no longer be funded by taxes (not clear on this).

Does the GBCTA proposed fee apply to anyone who wants to access these lands or does it apply to those who want to access enhanced services within the lands, such as groomed trails? I've read their statement and I assume the latter, though I'm not certain. If it applies to only those using enhanced services, then your access to the land without additional fee is not affected.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 8:46 Quote
One thing that we can all agree on is that if xc skiers want special treatment, in the form of regular grooming on trails where access by other user groups is discouraged- they should be prepared to pay for that privilege.
And most are willing to pay extra, but it seems like Alberta Parks, who take their marching orders from the AEP minister, are not even willing to consult with skiers to make that happen.
As I mentioned initially- cutting xc trail grooming just seems like a knee jerk reaction without any long term vision.

Riding conditions? Walked the dog in Bowmont on Tuesday- trails looked decent for riding with studs- a skiff of new over bumpy ice or frozen dirt. I'm feeling too wimpy to actually head out there for a ride this morning, though.
In the foothills yesterday: 5-7 cm of new snow, breaking trail for the most part and social distancing (saw nobody) on a route legally and responsibly accessed in the PLUZ.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 8:49 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
legally and responsibly accessed

Speaking of which, I'm unclear on what summer trails will be legal - and realistic - to access.

Without going on a full-scale road ride before and after my dirt ride, what trails are going to be legal and practical this summer?

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 10:04 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Cro-Mag wrote:
I believe this land is ours and we pay for this access with our taxes

I agree it should be that way, but if something isn't included in the government's budget, then you didn't pay for it. It all depends on what was in the budget. My understanding is the provincial government is proposing partnerships with local organizations and / or businesses to manage the land, in which case some areas may no longer be funded by taxes (not clear on this).

Does the GBCTA proposed fee apply to anyone who wants to access these lands or does it apply to those who want to access enhanced services within the lands, such as groomed trails? I've read their statement and I assume the latter, though I'm not certain. If it applies to only those using enhanced services, then your access to the land without additional fee is not affected.

Roads are budgeted, public is public land.

CM!

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 21:28 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
aka-bigsteve wrote:

Speaking of which, I'm unclear on what summer trails will be legal - and realistic - to access.

Without going on a full-scale road ride before and after my dirt ride, what trails are going to be legal and practical this summer?

I believe that is to be determined as time passes and see how this all develops in our local communities.

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 21:37 Quote
VPS13 wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
aka-bigsteve wrote:

I believe that is to be determined as time passes and see how this all develops in our local communities.
^^ This. My understanding is that warm wither has a massive impact on a corona virus' ability to survive outside the body and that somewhere around 26 degrees this falls of greatly. I'm hoping that once we see warmer weather this thing will go away. I really need bikes this year after the winter i've had :c

Posted: Apr 2, 2020 at 22:27 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
VPS13 wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

^^ This. My understanding is that warm wither has a massive impact on a corona virus' ability to survive outside the body and that somewhere around 26 degrees this falls of greatly. I'm hoping that once we see warmer weather this thing will go away. I really need bikes this year after the winter i've had :c

We see a very few number of days above these temps.....specially in the hills..... sounds like everyone should be out on their own building their own trail this summer.........can you imagine what we'd have to ride once this is all cleared up?

CM!

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 6:57 Quote
Cro-Mag wrote:

We see a very few number of days above these temps.....specially in the hills..... sounds like everyone should be out on their own building their own trail this summer.........can you imagine what we'd have to ride once this is all cleared up?

CM!

Hundreds of partially/half built trails.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 8:21 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
aka-bigsteve wrote:

I'd say that Canmore will be super busy this summer. Only place I can think of where you can park on the street and not have to deal with closed trail head parking lots and still be close to trails.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009672
Mobile Version of Website