Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 9:33 Quote
Keep your 6ft on the trails and I dont see the issue ?

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 11:29 Quote
Silliker269 wrote:

Easier said than done, though. People hang out and chat in the parking lot, I get stuck behind people who won't yield for a pass (and have been hit by a few snot rockets over the years), and the reduced access to trails makes the remaining ones look like a conga line.

I agree with you in an ideal situation, but this isn't ideal and I'm not sure what's the right approach.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 14:00 Quote
Silliker269 wrote:

If only it were that easy but you know it's the whole argument of keeping some semblance of order. What gives you and me the right or privilege to go out into the VAST wilderness and ride while others have to stay home?

You should see how bad it is with surfing right now, pretty much the whole planet has banned access to beaches and surfing. A few are trying to skirt the law but there's been a few cases gone awry; a surfer shot at by police in Costa Rica, surfers getting arrested in LA, etc. Admittedly if I currently had the funds I would have escaped to Indonesia and holed up on a West Sumatran island somewhere and paid off the local law enforcement at their affordable going rate.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 14:55 Quote
Silliker269 wrote:
As speed goes up so does distance to follow.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 15:18 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
aka-bigsteve wrote:
legally and responsibly accessed

Speaking of which, I'm unclear on what summer trails will be legal - and realistic - to access.

Without going on a full-scale road ride before and after my dirt ride, what trails are going to be legal and practical this summer?

Hard to say at this point. Just back from another foothills trail and meadow skipping xc ski tour. Again- encountered nobody. If things get busy this weekend, causing issues for locals, roads or distancing- I anticipate a clampdown, even though the entry spots that I have used to ski this week are perfectly legal. If not now -once the weather turns, trails start to shape up, and crowds appear- then. The first casualty will be the city trails once they begin to dry, as they get overwhelmed by pent up demand while not really ready for prime time. I'm guessing that we are in for another two months of limited access, but who really knows?

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 16:12 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
aka-bigsteve wrote:
legally and responsibly accessed

Speaking of which, I'm unclear on what summer trails will be legal - and realistic - to access.

Without going on a full-scale road ride before and after my dirt ride, what trails are going to be legal and practical this summer?

Hard to say at this point. Just back from another foothills trail and meadow skipping tour. Again- encountered nobody. If things get busy this weekend, causing issues with locals, roads or distancing- I anticipate a clampdown, even though the entry spots that I have used to ski this week are perfectly legal. If not now -once the weather turns, trails start to shape up, and crowds appear- then. The first casualty will be the city trails once they begin to dry, as they get overwhelmed by pent up demand while not really ready for prime time. I'm guessing that we are in for another two months of limited access, but who really knows?

Should see a fair amount of dirt jumps popping up all over then Smile

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 18:52 Quote
Silliker269 wrote:

Ride solo or with people from your own household, avoid others by at least 2 meters on the trail, which is doable but damn near impossible if you pass by someone on singletrack, ride around your home community and don't travel, don't try to be rad or set any strava records, stay home if you are feeling ill at all, and if the parking lot is busy, go somewhere else. It actually isn't that hard to follow these asks and still have fun responsibly. The problem is a handful of people who try to outsmart the system or downplay the seriousness of the covid situation and effectively force the government to govern to the lowest common denominator.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 19:05 Quote
Tneault wrote:
avoid others by at least 2 meters on the trail, which is doable but damn near impossible if you pass by someone on singletrack

We should consider the spirit of the rule, not the letter of the rule.

2 m is not a magic number, above which we're safe and below which we are certain to contract COVID-19. The guideline comes from two factors:

• Far enough to not absentmindedly touch the other person.
• A probabilistic calculation based on a certain factor of reduction in exposure to droplets.

2 m is not sufficient if a person is expelling abnormal amounts of material (spitting, coughing, snot rockets, etc.) and / or the period of exposure is high and / or the air circulation is especially poor. 2 m is more than adequate in some cases, especially if people are expelling low amounts of material and air circulation is high (excluding a breeze blowing directly from one person to another).

If the person being passed promptly stops to allow the pass and doesn't expel droplets during the pass, this should be a particularly low-risk encounter, even if the 2 m separation is momentarily breached.

Posted: Apr 3, 2020 at 21:27 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Tneault wrote:
avoid others by at least 2 meters on the trail, which is doable but damn near impossible if you pass by someone on singletrack

We should consider the spirit of the rule, not the letter of the rule.

2 m is not a magic number, above which we're safe and below which we are certain to contract COVID-19. The guideline comes from two factors:

• Far enough to not absentmindedly touch the other person.
• A probabilistic calculation based on a certain factor of reduction in exposure to droplets.

2 m is not sufficient if a person is expelling abnormal amounts of material (spitting, coughing, snot rockets, etc.) and / or the period of exposure is high and / or the air circulation is especially poor. 2 m is more than adequate in some cases, especially if people are expelling low amounts of material and air circulation is high (excluding a breeze blowing directly from one person to another).

If the person being passed promptly stops to allow the pass and doesn't expel droplets during the pass, this should be a particularly low-risk encounter, even if the 2 m separation is momentarily breached.

Right! The virus doesn't know what 2m is.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 12:16 Quote
Superb riding at the 'poo this morning. Packed dry snow over a hard base, excellent for fat or thin. Studs definitely an asset in a few spots, but you could get by without. Mud thawing out on exposed hillsides by 11.

Posted: Apr 4, 2020 at 14:11 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
Superb riding at the 'poo this morning. Packed dry snow over a hard base, excellent for fat or thin. Studs definitely an asset in a few spots, but you could get by without. Mud thawing out on exposed hillsides by 11.

Second this, rode it at lunch time and the packed snow was very grippy. Only spot I saw ice poking through from underneath was one of the single track downhill corners lower down where bikes had started skidding the snow off (its the only spot climbing that I spun enough and had to get off to push, all the other climbs had tons of traction).

Only a handful of mud sections (maybe 5 or 6) and most of those were less than 1" deep.

I found it busy (over a dozen other bikers, more than the hikers/walkers), but that is compared to my regular weekday rides down there. No where did I end up following another bike and all my trail interactions were on the double track sections, not the single track.

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 8:41 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Cro-Mag wrote:
I believe this land is ours and we pay for this access with our taxes

I agree it should be that way, but if something isn't included in the government's budget, then you didn't pay for it. It all depends on what was in the budget. My understanding is the provincial government is proposing partnerships with local organizations and / or businesses to manage the land, in which case some areas may no longer be funded by taxes (not clear on this).

Does the GBCTA proposed fee apply to anyone who wants to access these lands or does it apply to those who want to access enhanced services within the lands, such as groomed trails? I've read their statement and I assume the latter, though I'm not certain. If it applies to only those using enhanced services, then your access to the land without additional fee is not affected.
Ok let's be real here, this land is our land and we pay for this access with our taxes. Fair point that we pay taxes but it that does not create new trails, maintain trails and now it doesn't pay for grooming of the XC trails. Since the population in Alberta will probably spend a lot of quality time in the province for the foreseeable future, why don't we pull our head out of our asses and realize that the only way for us to improve our current situation will be to increase revenue. You can either tax the whole province or you can start making people pay to play. Not every area would be easy to have a gate and sell passes but between K Country thru highway 40, highway 66 and the West Bragg Creek area, they are all one road in and one road out (well except for highway 40 south!)

I too would love that our provincial government could pay for everything, pipeline, education, health, tourism industry but we have to be realistic that there will be choice to be made as to how the provincial budget get spent and if our provincial government is choosing to put their money somewhere else, we will have to get off the champagne taste of yesteryears and realize that we have a beer budget so if we want our craft beers, we should pay for it.

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 9:12 Quote
jerome wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
Cro-Mag wrote:
I believe this land is ours and we pay for this access with our taxes

I agree it should be that way, but if something isn't included in the government's budget, then you didn't pay for it. It all depends on what was in the budget. My understanding is the provincial government is proposing partnerships with local organizations and / or businesses to manage the land, in which case some areas may no longer be funded by taxes (not clear on this).

Does the GBCTA proposed fee apply to anyone who wants to access these lands or does it apply to those who want to access enhanced services within the lands, such as groomed trails? I've read their statement and I assume the latter, though I'm not certain. If it applies to only those using enhanced services, then your access to the land without additional fee is not affected.
Ok let's be real here, this land is our land and we pay for this access with our taxes. Fair point that we pay taxes but it that does not create new trails, maintain trails and now it doesn't pay for grooming of the XC trails. Since the population in Alberta will probably spend a lot of quality time in the province for the foreseeable future, why don't we pull our head out of our asses and realize that the only way for us to improve our current situation will be to increase revenue. You can either tax the whole province or you can start making people pay to play. Not every area would be easy to have a gate and sell passes but between K Country thru highway 40, highway 66 and the West Bragg Creek area, they are all one road in and one road out (well except for highway 40 south!)

I too would love that our provincial government could pay for everything, pipeline, education, health, tourism industry but we have to be realistic that there will be choice to be made as to how the provincial budget get spent and if our provincial government is choosing to put their money somewhere else, we will have to get off the champagne taste of yesteryears and realize that we have a beer budget so if we want our craft beers, we should pay for it.

Or get the skills and brew your own craft!

CM!

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 9:16 Quote
Cro-Mag wrote:
jerome wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

CM!
not everybody can make craft beer and not everybody can build trails or maintain them.

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 9:50 Quote
jerome wrote:
Cro-Mag wrote:
jerome wrote:

CM!
not everybody can make craft beer and not everybody can build trails or maintain them.

Then they can put their feet up suck on luckies, netflix and chill. Ridiculous to pay for access to our public lands. If some rich folks want people to take care of their recreational needs right now maybe they should rethink how their money is being spent in this time.

CM!

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009636
Mobile Version of Website