Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
O+
Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 11:45 Quote
Where I've seen pay to play working, it's not access to public land you're paying for. Its access to groomed and maintained trails that costs users money. There are still free to use fairly unimproved trails that are available.

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 12:25 Quote
husstler wrote:
Where I've seen pay to play working, it's not access to public land you're paying for. Its access to groomed and maintained trails that costs users money. There are still free to use fairly unimproved trails that are available.

Exactly! If someone expects full access to everything on public land, they're going to be upset when they discover ski hills exist in the National Parks.

O+
Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 12:56 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
husstler wrote:

Exactly! If someone expects full access to everything on public land, they're going to be upset when they discover ski hills exist in the National Parks.

... or campgrounds on crown land. Just because I'm a taxpayer doesn't mean I dont have to pay a fee to camp and use the showers and stuff.

O+
Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 13:03 Quote
husstler wrote:

Bingo.

It’s no different that crown land camping where there are minimal facilities compared to provincial park camping where you’re paying for facilities. Most other activities that have a consistent need for government money (I’m not talking about grants where applications need to be made and funding is not guaranteed but rather situations where money is earmarked and budgeted for a specific purpose) have some sort of user fee attached. Why are cross country skiers seemingly unable or unwilling to pay to have they things they use maintained?

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 13:20 Quote
You guys are monkeys and missing the point..... I'll re copy the recommendation from the yuppie trail society and maybe you will get it....

"The approach recommended by the GBCTA is a province wide vehicle access fee for all provincial land, whether in a Park or on public land. The fee could be daily, weekly or annually, with a variety of payment options including online or as part of the vehicle licence registration process. The GBCTA believes this is the most effective and efficient approach with the greatest ease for enforcement"

Vehicle access fee......not trail user fee....I'll be damned if they are gonna tax me to build the roads to access crown land then tag on a tax to help me help yuppies enjoy the trails they didn't make by the sweat of their brow! At a time like this money is much better put into other things, dont take it out of our pockets!!

CM!

O+
Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 13:47 Quote
Cro-Mag wrote:
You guys are monkeys and missing the point..... I'll re copy the recommendation from the yuppie trail society and maybe you will get it....

"The approach recommended by the GBCTA is a province wide vehicle access fee for all provincial land, whether in a Park or on public land. The fee could be daily, weekly or annually, with a variety of payment options including online or as part of the vehicle licence registration process. The GBCTA believes this is the most effective and efficient approach with the greatest ease for enforcement"

Vehicle access fee......not trail user fee....I'll be damned if they are gonna tax me to build the roads to access crown land then tag on a tax to help me help yuppies enjoy the trails they didn't make by the sweat of their brow! At a time like this money is much better put into other things, dont take it out of our pockets!!

CM!

GBCTA is being ridiculous. What they’re advocating is a system similar to what Ontario and Quebec have for provincial parks except they want to extend it to all provincial land. Frankly from what they’ve wrote I’m not convinced they actually no what they wrote because if they’re advocated a user fee for crown land Alberta would be the only jurisdiction in Canada that charges for access to crown land. The approach recommended by GBCTA is so far out in left field.

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 13:48 Quote
Cro-Mag wrote:

It's possible the misinterpretation is on your end.

It seems you've interpreted the GBCTA position as advocating for a universal fee to be paid by all vehicle owners - or at least all vehicles that enter the affected lands. Another interpretation of their proposal is a pass that is applied to a vehicle, much like a ski hill season's pass, that would grant access to the enhanced services, while everyone can still access the rest of the land without supplementary fees.

O+
Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 14:42 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Cro-Mag wrote:

It seems you've interpreted the GBCTA position as advocating for a universal fee to be paid by all vehicle owners - or at least all vehicles that enter the affected lands. Another interpretation of their proposal is a pass that is applied to a vehicle, much like a ski hill season's pass, that would grant access to the enhanced services, while everyone can still access the rest of the land without supplementary fees.

Or like a Parks Canada pass. People have no problem paying for that!

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 15:03 Quote
husstler wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
Cro-Mag wrote:

Some of us dont like being forced to pay for those either Wink

CM!

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 15:10 Quote
husstler wrote:

Maybe. The quality of the analogy depends whether the proposed license applies to all land access in these areas or only to areas with enhanced services.

Cro-Mag wrote:

You're going to pay for it one way or another, it's just a matter of whether it's hidden in your income tax or visible as a user fee.

And you don't like anything, so that's not much of a data point!

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 15:44 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
husstler wrote:

Maybe. The quality of the analogy depends whether the proposed license applies to all land access in these areas or only to areas with enhanced services.

Cro-Mag wrote:

You're going to pay for it one way or another, it's just a matter of whether it's hidden in your income tax or visible as a user fee.

And you don't like anything, so that's not much of a data point!

I like tons of things....love Jesus, my family, my dogs, my horses, eating good steak from the range, beers ice cold, bikes, skis, chainsaws and picks, fires, forests, lakes, rivers, mountains and prairies, oil and gas, forestry, mining. Dislikes...forced payment for access to our land.....imagine what the Indians think.....

CM!

Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 17:26 Quote
seanondemand wrote:
First Nations.

Actually it's now "Indigenous" , we've been retrained and the government has re-branded.....

CM!

O+
Posted: Apr 6, 2020 at 19:09 Quote
SpecializedFTW wrote:
husstler wrote:

Bingo.

It’s no different that crown land camping where there are minimal facilities compared to provincial park camping where you’re paying for facilities. Most other activities that have a consistent need for government money (I’m not talking about grants where applications need to be made and funding is not guaranteed but rather situations where money is earmarked and budgeted for a specific purpose) have some sort of user fee attached. Why are cross country skiers seemingly unable or unwilling to pay to have they things they use maintained?

They are not all opposed stop painting all with the same brush. When Ralph K tried the same they would not allow a charge to be implemented so we are full circle.

O+
Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 9:33 Quote
brucie1 wrote:
SpecializedFTW wrote:
husstler wrote:

Bingo.

They are not all opposed stop painting all with the same brush. When Ralph K tried the same they would not allow a charge to be implemented so we are full circle.

I don’t see Cross Country skiers challenging these people publicly who are dead set against having to pay for the facilities they use.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018101
Mobile Version of Website