Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 10:53 Quote
So back to conditions, can we all agree that this year spring has been terrible? I was just looking back through my past years on strava to see when I was riding dirt and where, and for the past 6 years by the first week of april most of the city trails were snow free and dry, and a lot of time some of the stuff in the mountains were good to go. This year it ain't going to happen for at least another 2-3 weeks. Look at the long range forecast and it's well below seasonal and we have more snow coming. Add in all this COVID nonsense, and I'm starting to loose it. I got the time to ride these days but nothing to ride and can't go anywhere too ride. Gotta vent to someone besides my wife because she's sick of it, lol.

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 15:15 Quote
Nothing to be done about it! If I'm stuck working from home til the summer though, means lots of time for MTB breaks.

Posted: Apr 7, 2020 at 18:13 Quote
SpecializedFTW wrote:
brucie1 wrote:
SpecializedFTW wrote:

Bingo.

It’s no different that crown land camping where there are minimal facilities compared to provincial park camping where you’re paying for facilities. Most other activities that have a consistent need for government money (I’m not talking about grants where applications need to be made and funding is not guaranteed but rather situations where money is earmarked and budgeted for a specific purpose) have some sort of user fee attached. Why are cross country skiers seemingly unable or unwilling to pay to have they things they use maintained?

They are not all opposed stop painting all with the same brush. When Ralph K tried the same they would not allow a charge to be implemented so we are full circle.

I don’t see Cross Country skiers challenging these people publicly who are dead set against having to pay for the facilities they use.

Because they are spending their time and effort trying to make a point with the government to not go ahead with items in budget. I don't really see why we shouldn't be paying for the service of track setting and I care less about how it affects your right to access mtb trails.

Posted: Apr 8, 2020 at 8:16 Quote
hizzity wrote:
So back to conditions, can we all agree that this year spring has been terrible? I was just looking back through my past years on strava to see when I was riding dirt and where, and for the past 6 years by the first week of april most of the city trails were snow free and dry, and a lot of time some of the stuff in the mountains were good to go. This year it ain't going to happen for at least another 2-3 weeks. Look at the long range forecast and it's well below seasonal and we have more snow coming. Add in all this COVID nonsense, and I'm starting to loose it. I got the time to ride these days but nothing to ride and can't go anywhere too ride. Gotta vent to someone besides my wife because she's sick of it, lol.

Couldnt agree more man , the worst in years !! Still got the damn spikers on and it looks like they are not coming off for a while. Its a new bike year as well !! Really Mad

Posted: Apr 8, 2020 at 11:07 Quote
Paskapoo riding nicely on Spikers this morning. Soft snow over hard base. Sunniest spots transitioning to slush/mud by noon.

Posted: Apr 8, 2020 at 11:32 Quote
FYI, Im sure we all saw this coming with the long weekend approaching.

"BC Parks is immediately closing the entire BC Parks system, including all parks, protected areas, conservancies, recreation areas, and ecological reserves. All camping (front and backcountry) is now banned until May 31st, 2020. This action is being taken in response to the call for increased action to address the COVID-19 pandemic."

http://bcparks.ca/covid-19/

Posted: Apr 8, 2020 at 11:59 Quote
VPS13 wrote:

"BC Parks is immediately closing the entire BC Parks system, including all parks, protected areas, conservancies, recreation areas, and ecological reserves. All camping (front and backcountry) is now banned until May 31st, 2020. This action is being taken in response to the call for increased action to address the COVID-19 pandemic."

May 31st ?? Madder

Posted: Apr 8, 2020 at 12:02 Quote
Silliker269 wrote:
May 31st ?? Madder

And it's likely to be extended if the COVID-19 situation hasn't significantly improved by then, which seems unlikely.

Let me know if you need suggestions for good road rides Wink

Posted: Apr 8, 2020 at 13:07 Quote
VPS13 wrote:

Alberta parks the same I am sure- there is no way that they will want to relax the closures and unleash the pent-up Maylong madness.
A lot of our foothill riding is not in the parks, but in the PLUZ- trails there are technically still open, but getting harder to access as almost all access points are barricaded, and you can't park on the roadsides.
As I said last week- the city trails are going to get HAMMERED. Until they get closed from being too busy, with people left with no options for outdoor recreation elsewhere.

Posted: Apr 8, 2020 at 15:55 Quote
Oh I'm sure places like Nose Hill and Bowmont will be shut at some point. Kenny thinks mid May for peak infection, still means it has to drop off to the point that its almost gone. So maybe start of July we might see things start to open up again and life back to normal.

aka-bigsteve wrote:
VPS13 wrote:

Alberta parks the same I am sure- there is no way that they will want to relax the closures and unleash the pent-up Maylong madness.
A lot of our foothill riding is not in the parks, but in the PLUZ- trails there are technically still open, but getting harder to access as almost all access points are barricaded, and you can't park on the roadsides.
As I said last week- the city trails are going to get HAMMERED. Until they get closed from being too busy, with people left with no options for outdoor recreation elsewhere.

Posted: Apr 8, 2020 at 20:59 Quote
hizzity wrote:
Oh I'm sure places like Nose Hill and Bowmont will be shut at some point. Kenny thinks mid May for peak infection, still means it has to drop off to the point that its almost gone. So maybe start of July we might see things start to open up again and life back to normal.

aka-bigsteve wrote:
VPS13 wrote:

Steve...less talk man.....people in the know will figure it out.....no need to let people in......sheesh did no one learn you when you were a kid and knew a sweet jump spots Quit talkin and stay home!

CM!

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 7:30 Quote
A lot of this talk is better served at Skierbobs or Nordicgrooming.ca for our purposes this opens up a lot of ungroomed fatbiking options and returns the lands to the truly wild......no hand san man

Posted: Apr 9, 2020 at 8:42 Quote
roundtheworld wrote:
A lot of this talk is better served at Skierbobs or Nordicgrooming.ca for our purposes this opens up a lot of ungroomed fatbiking options and returns the lands to the truly wild......no hand san man

Reality check- deeper snow country than the foothills in the affected areas, especially so on the south half of PLPP, and Shark. Who's going to break trail and compact the snow base for you? AT PLPP- there has been a designated snowshoe route for a number of years over Elk Pass that was also, I believe, open for fat bikes. But guess what- most of it went unused and they stuck to the Elk Pass ski trail, because trailbreaking was such a tough go. Worth noting too that the Ribbon and PLLP ski trail grooming staff (who are also the summer trail crew) have been developing a new network of winter snowshoe/fatbike trails. Which the Ribbon ski trail groomers were machine packing this past winter to facilitate access for fat bikers, amongst others. That will be gone too. Be careful what you wish for.

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 8:28 Quote
Another 20cm of snow inbound for the Pass this weekend. Press reset on any biking off the road anytime soon. People seem to be irrationally freaked out here about the prospects of people from out of town coming this weekend. The same is happening in Fernie and interior BC. The snow will probably keep the folks away.

Posted: Apr 10, 2020 at 8:52 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
roundtheworld wrote:

Reality check- deeper snow country than the foothills in the affected areas, especially so on the south half of PLPP, and Shark. Who's going to break trail and compact the snow base for you? AT PLPP- there has been a designated snowshoe route for a number of years over Elk Pass that was also, I believe, open for fat bikes. But guess what- most of it went unused and they stuck to the Elk Pass ski trail, because trailbreaking was such a tough go. Worth noting too that the Ribbon and PLLP ski trail grooming staff (who are also the summer trail crew) have been developing a new network of winter snowshoe/fatbike trails. Which the Ribbon ski trail groomers were machine packing this past winter to facilitate access for fat bikers, amongst others. That will be gone too. Be careful what you wish for.

There is an underground movement from snowshoers and fatbikers to reclaim these lands affected! With the groomers gone I expect this to continue to gain traction and momentum with lower hot air limits!

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008711
Mobile Version of Website