Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
O+
Posted: May 31, 2020 at 8:00 Quote
5mm rain in Bragg- debating if its worth the drive out. I bet it's well enough drained closer to Husky? My grass is wet, but the soil is firm underneath and I live in Cochrane.

Tough call. Looking for insight.

O+
Posted: May 31, 2020 at 9:06 Quote
husstler wrote:
5mm rain in Bragg- debating if its worth the drive out. I bet it's well enough drained closer to Husky? My grass is wet, but the soil is firm underneath and I live in Cochrane.

Super hard to tell. There have been so times it’s been pouring at Station Flats (let alone Bragg Creek) and it’s dry at Moose.

O+
Posted: May 31, 2020 at 10:10 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Any Intel on ROS?

Edit: Hus we need to go for a ride

Rode ROS Friday night from the Pneuma junction. All clear of snow. However a lot of the lower features are blocked off and in a serious state of disrepair. No trees currently down at least.

O+
Posted: May 31, 2020 at 11:13 Quote
jsnfschr wrote:
husstler wrote:

Super hard to tell. There have been so times it’s been pouring at Station Flats (let alone Bragg Creek) and it’s dry at Moose.

Husky not bad, greasy from humidity. rain starting now, slightly.

Edit: Now it's sunny! I am so confused!

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 11:46 Quote
Got out to Moose do some laps on Saturday, and holy cow, was it busy out there. Every single parking lot nearby was full, with multiple vehicles parked on the side of the road at each gathering area. Ing's lot was more full than I've ever seen it too.

If you're heading out there, be prepared to see people where you normally wouldn't expect to see people. There was a group of hikers heading down 727 and a guy riding his bike UP 727. There were also lots of groups of hikers on Sulphur Springs, but that was more expected than 727.

As for the trails themselves, we rode Family guy and 727, both of which were in near-mint condition.

Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 13:09 Quote
GambinoSX wrote:
a guy riding his bike UP 727

I rode 7-27 on Thursday and Saturday. Three groups riding up it on Thursday and one guy doing laps up and down on Saturday.

It's probably best to have a kind discussion with them. Acknowledge they're allowed to do it, but kindly point out it's not the safest option for anyone, including them. Try to stay friendly if the response is indignant - after all, they've already displayed a lack of sense and awareness.

The last thing we need is to have the land owners upset because we're telling people they can't hike or ride both ways on the trails, as my understanding is all trails in that area must be multi-use and two-way.

Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 21:49 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
GambinoSX wrote:
a guy riding his bike UP 727

I rode 7-27 on Thursday and Saturday. Three groups riding up it on Thursday and one guy doing laps up and down on Saturday.

It's probably best to have a kind discussion with them. Acknowledge they're allowed to do it, but kindly point out it's not the safest option for anyone, including them. Try to stay friendly if the response is indignant - after all, they've already displayed a lack of sense and awareness.

The last thing we need is to have the land owners upset because we're telling people they can't hike or ride both ways on the trails, as my understanding is all trails in that area must be multi-use and two-way.

Can't wait to haul my horses out there and ride up some trails Wink

CM!

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 20:22 Quote
Climbing 7-27 makes zero sense when pneuma is right there... Seems like theres enough injuries with people riding down 7-27 on their own, throw some uphill traffic in there and all bets are off.

Posted: Jun 2, 2020 at 22:34 Quote
VPS13 wrote:
Climbing 7-27 makes zero sense when pneuma is right there... Seems like theres enough injuries with people riding down 7-27 on their own, throw some uphill traffic in there and all bets are off.
I can see people climbing the ride around to get to the top from pneuma...

In other news ROS was pretty close to hero dirt today with zero we patches.

O+
Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 13:24 Quote
VPS13 wrote:

As I was heading up Pneuma a few days ago, I passed just in front of a guy riding up 727 with a big off leash dog. Not a good idea IMO.

North side Bragg trails almost all dry yesterday with a few minor mud holes. I rode Braggin, Merlin, Recon, Long Distance N both ways, Disconnect both ways, Long Distance south. Braggin and the Merlin uphill are so widened, rutted and haggard looking that they reminded me of a typical old school K-country horse trail! Merlinistas have been pissin' in their own cornflakes!
It was a bit of a relief to get on the uncrowded narrow winding single track of Long Distance north, and the easy but fun long descent to Telephone. Turned around and headed back up LD as I did not want to brave the (potential?) mud pits of Telephone.

Did an enjoyable quick rip through Bowmont-12 Mile this morning. Continuing seepage along the east side of Waterfall Valley- best to avoid that segment on the paved path. 12 Mile running nicely, with only a few wet spots if you take the higher lines.

O+
Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 13:44 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
Merlinistas have been pissin' in their own cornflakes!

comment of the day!

O+
Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 5:57 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
It was a bit of a relief to get on the uncrowded narrow winding single track of Long Distance north, and the easy but fun long descent to Telephone. Turned around and headed back up LD as I did not want to brave the (potential?) mud pits of Telephone.

I did a similar loop last night but much smaller - Demitel to LD North, around Telephone to Reconnect and then LD South. Only two mud holes on Telephone so it is not bad at all. And agreed - I don't ride Bragg as much anymore but appreciated the narrow singletrack on LD North. Parking lot was absolutely jammed last night and we saw 11 people in total - and that incl. a group of 9. It was nice and quiet on that loop.

O+
Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 20:55 Quote
Rained at Moose this evening. Trails got real wet, should be good in the am if the rain stops.

Posted: Jun 5, 2020 at 10:18 Quote
SHAFT is GTG and perfect conditions - a few baby heads rolling around. Tdub also. 7-27 was mint as well and even the sulphur sections were rideable except that one mud pit. Some rain last night as mentioned but if anything it'll help things. There's a small tree across the trail nhalf way down toothless on a fast blind section. Bit of a oh shit when I saw it. We tried to move it but it was a battle so we broke the top off it to get it mostly off the trail. May need a small saw.

Bottom of shaft crossing we walked to the west and crossed the bridge. Toothless crossing was below knee deep.

O+
Posted: Jun 5, 2020 at 11:45 Quote
Reports of thundershowers had me wondering what to expect this morning but rode Jean Guy via ninja cow to pneuma to family guy and you wouldn't know it had rained. Some clouds building as I left at noon.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.025134
Mobile Version of Website