Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 7:10 Quote
A lot of people spending a lot of time complaining.

Maybe need to spend more time stepping up to the plate.

Probably easier to complain though Rolleyes

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 7:17 Quote
If a complaint is valid, it merits consideration. If it's not valid, the complaint should be easy to address and discredit.

Some interesting points were raised, even if they were raised in an unnecessarily confrontational manner.

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 9:54 Quote
mtnmanjake wrote:
A lot of people spending a lot of time complaining.

Maybe need to spend more time stepping up to the plate.

Probably easier to complain though Rolleyes

I build a lot of trail. I endeavour to spend equal time riding and building each week which usually works out to three nights and a Saturday or Sunday. I think it’s really telling that people cannot defend the massive outlay of funds on a single trail without resorting to insults and personal attacks.

I’ll say again what I said earlier, if people want to ride massive bike park style jump lines perhaps they ought to head to the bike park. As for making it pay to ride, there’s zero chance I’ll ever build trail somewhere you need to pay to access it and I do not think I am alone among trail builders in not wanting to build trail that is pay to play.

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 14:34 Quote
Good vibe in here

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 18:51 Quote
Perhaps a brief diversion back to conditions....

Rode JP Cox today. There's still a couple of pretty substantial snow drifts. I'm wondering if they'll melt all the way out.

The usual spot soon after entering the trees has water running down it. They very end is pretty muddy.

The wildflowers are the best I can remember but the bugs are also out in force.

Lots of hikers on the summit trail but only few groups hiking up from Dawson.

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 5:32 Quote
Moose trails were mint yesterday

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 7:40 Quote
cyclehard wrote:
Alot of squabble over moose mountain ,
Community and trail building is always a great thing, but as any mtb who has traveled and riden other trails is other zones , the big thing is that moose seems to be stuck in an old school time warp of what they think trails should be, steep , tech, loam, rut narrow tread. The best trail networks in west Canada and USA all have beautiful climb trails purpose built and trails with dedicated or suggested trail direction and flow.

Moose is not stuck. The mountain has been there for thousands of years, it is not going anywhere. We kept the old school vibe on certain trails, however other trails have seen significant improvement and some steps were taken to broaden the appeal of trails so more people can use them. Moose trails have a distinct DH flavour to them with jumps drops and berms.

It's also interesting to hear you say steep when I think about Shaft, Family Guy, 727, brakeless I don't see the steepness nor the tech

Jean-Guy, Tdub, SLF and Toothless are all original trails and yes they are steep. However, you won't find loam as they have been running for so long that we are down to proper dirt.

In BC the provincial government thru various initiative (for example the Columbia Bassin trust) has provided a lot of grants to smaller communities for them to build dedicated network of trails. Will the Alberta Government step up and provide more funding to our sport??? I don't think they have any money to spare these days so that is why I think the only way to grow and have a better network is really a pay to play approach.

Regarding purpose built and climb trails, we would love to have signs that say DH trail only not uphill traffic but the Alberta Government is not super happy about that they prefer that trails be multi-purpose and 2 ways. We should be able to have signs that says Descending bicycle trail, travel uphill not recommended this year if the Government gives us the green light.

I too have travelled across BC, both bike parks and locals taking me to some great trails. There is a big consensus that trails can be great, come back 20 years after they are built and see if they are still great. Case and point Ranger Summit and Strange brew. Strange brew when it was initially built was incredible. Now it's filled with loose baby heads and all the berms have shrunk over the years.
That is what we are working with here, flash floods, epic rainfall, lots of rocks and an MTB community that thinks trail fairies exist and they magically fix everything without them having to pay for all those pesky tools, drainage culverts, machine to build proper jumps.

I am thrilled that we have reached over 1000 members at MMBTS for 2020 from about 6 or 700 members last year. I think we are doing the right things this year, maintaining existing trails, improving some, finding someone to finish the jump trail, taking over (hopefully) the Prairie network of trails and engaging more and more people to create a better community with what we have here.

People are helping each other with rides, tubes or whatever people need to get them riding.

My only question to you cyclehard is:

Are you part of the problem or part of the solution to improve the riding at Moose?

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 10:06 Quote
I have done my share of trail days in moose and wbc , same with memberships as I have them here and for b.c trail networks, no dispute of people trying to make any trail better just pointing out what moose and husky (i put them together when talking that area ) are lacking compared to other riding zones, moose has had the same problems for 10years , doesn't matter if its 2 way direction you can always put suggested directions to ride and alberta government trail police won't come knocking. Its been pretty clear this year with how many more riders are out now that they need the information.

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 10:20 Quote
I’m not sure Moose needs to be or should be all things to all riders. Think of it like a restaurant...

It’s raw, like sushi. More people than ever are loving it and still some won’t touch it. But you don’t go into a sushi restaurant and ask for pizza. Sure a sushi restaurant could serve every cuisine in the world trying to please everyone, but none of it would be any good, and the flavours they excelled at would be lost too.

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 10:22 Quote
This forum is only for complaints! Whens cro-mag coming back .

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 12:23 Quote
I think this forum should be renamed
Trail Complaints for Calgarians

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 18:55 Quote
I rode a sugar daddy sugar mama lap today and it was great, a few mud holes particularly on bobcat but not a big deal. Lots of people out there! Allen bill parking lot was packed.

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 19:24 Quote
^ same info really but ranger, snakes, bcat, SB

Only puddles were on snakes, and there were just a couple.

Main WBC lot wasn't that busy, which seemed odd to me.

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 22:37 Quote
Got a couple quick, morning laps in at Moose before swapping the bike for a shovel. Conditions were wonderful in the cooler, morning air. Especially enjoyed the climbs up FG. Hadn't been up that way in a while and it is a sight to see - it's become somewhat of a little botanical garden with the lush, colorful array of wildflowers. Really recommend going that way while you can and taking it slow. Whether that means figuratively or literally 'stopping to smell the flowers' is up to you.

No matter where else I get to ride, I'm always grateful to come back to Moose. Even as it grows and evolves, I hope it always keeps that old-school vibe. Thanks to everyone who works to make it what it is!

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 6:51 Quote
Cinnamon bear hanging out on TW where main line and gully reconnect. He was mildly interested in us and wasn’t in a hurry to leave, but didn’t bother us either.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012629
Mobile Version of Website