Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 16:27 Quote
Thanks for the update, Steve! I always forget how well Paskapoo avoids the freeze & thaw cycles.

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 18:34 Quote
Oh man, I wish I still had skinny studs

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 18:51 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
kenny99 wrote:
Yes some areas are approaching dirt season again...

Go on ...

Plenty of (frozen) dirt Monday on Boundary-Snag-Daddy-Strange-Snowy-West Crystal, along with packed snow. But- also a fair bit of ice. Excellent riding on studded skinnies!
Same mix of conditions on Jumpingpound Loop.
In the city- superb riding was had yesterday in 12 Mile Coulee ( a few icy patches) and this afternoon in Paskapoo (packed snow, no need for studs)

Excellent, had to skip our Wednesday night ride so I’m heading down to Paskapoo for a quick hour right now.

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 7:09 Quote
leftypumpkin wrote:
aka-bigsteve wrote:
In the city- superb riding was had yesterday in 12 Mile Coulee ( a few icy patches) and this afternoon in Paskapoo (packed snow, no need for studs)

Excellent, had to skip our Wednesday night ride so I’m heading down to Paskapoo for a quick hour right now.

And just to follow this up - yeah conditions in Paskapoo are pretty much primo right now - smooth, grippy, only a few roots still showing through, only one spot showing dirt (about 50' at the east end in the wide open meadow).

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 at 18:57 Quote
Did a quick lap at Elbow Valley and Snagmore between work and getting home for dinner. Would be good on just about any bike with studded tires. Mix of very packed snow, ice, and dry velcro dirt.

Posted: Nov 28, 2020 at 9:54 Quote
Anybody know what moose is like recently?

Also random question does anybody ride in Brown and Lowery park? Just wondering cause its close by.

Posted: Nov 28, 2020 at 16:44 Quote
Guy Lafleur (aka the trail formerly known as Quebexican) and Bow corridor link were fantastic today with skinny non-studded tires. The only bits of ice were around the west end of Lafleur and a bit around McGillvary creek parking lot. The rest was frozen Velcro dirt. Not the most exciting trails but it was great to ride something without the fear of death ice. Anyone try out Prospector? Looked bone dry from across the valley but looks can be deceiving...

Posted: Nov 28, 2020 at 16:46 Quote
13en wrote:

Also random question does anybody ride in Brown and Lowery park? Just wondering cause its close by.

Here is a link: https://albertaparks.ca/media/5750243/brown-lowery-pp-park-notes.pdf

Posted: Nov 28, 2020 at 17:16 Quote
Ridden today:

Ridgeback - icy or nice dry dirt
Bobcat - icy or nice dirt, many blowdowns
Strange - icy or nice dirt
Sucre Papi - snow cover, ice, dirt
Snagmore - best of the bunch, mostly dry, some packed snow

The number of blowdowns in the RB/Bobcat area was incredible, given it was only windy for 2 or 3 hours last night. I pulled off as many as I could but didn't think to bring my saw so there are a few left that might need cutting up. I only mo ed what I could move solo.

Posted: Nov 28, 2020 at 17:43 Quote
High Rockies is good from Penisula to Black Prince Access. Fat tires no studs needed. Pretty well tracked except a few open areas.

Posted: Nov 28, 2020 at 19:01 Quote
13en wrote:

Was up at 7-27 and stopped to hike down to Billy Dog - there was one set of tracks down that looked ok in the first 100 feet or so that I could see. On the 7-27 side, the access road was icy under 1" of snow.

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 5:38 Quote
I've been out to Brown-Lowery a bit just for hiking; I wouldn't think they'd be much for biking. Kind of old school cutline trails mixed in with old quad trails with marginal elevation gain. They have a no biking sign there at the trailhead so the heat probably isn't worth it. Otherwise it's got some nice views to the West and if you like tromping through the woods.

Posted: Nov 29, 2020 at 9:24 Quote
Oh ok i wasnt looking for amazing trails just something better that the road. Yeah I figured biking was most likely frowned upon there. Thanks

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 16:52 Quote
Rode 727 and family guy last night and today. Family guy was a mess patch of deep hard snow, 727s not bad mostly dirt and a LOT of ice. Quite sketchy on my summer skinnies. All the people cutting down there Christmas tree made a mess there was a few trees across that i cleared and sticks and brush everywhere. Also after the set of 3 jumps of 727 it is very very slick learn from my mistakes and walk around

Posted: Nov 30, 2020 at 17:06 Quote
Another great November ride this morning! Snowshoe Hare-Braggin-Reconnect-Long Distance North out and back-Disconnect-Telephone. LD North beyond Disconnect, and Tele, are predominately fast packed snow. The remainder- as found on the rest of the WBC network recently- have more dirt or hard grey ice than snow. Totally skinny friendly. Studs are pretty much a must have.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012830
Mobile Version of Website