Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Mar 21, 2021 at 6:54 Quote
fstfrd15 wrote:
Out there this morning. Race of Spades is prime for fat bike with studs, lots of hard snow and ice, very little dirt. Billy Dog shows dirt at the entrance then turns to death ice pretty quick with some patches of dirt. Didn't ride Loamzilla but can't see it be much different.
ahhh, so i guess that guy was saying it was dry for fat biking still. ppl need to be more specific...

Posted: Apr 3, 2021 at 9:51 Quote
Does anyone have any Beta on moose area? I hope that billy dog / toothless would be good to go soon.

Posted: Apr 3, 2021 at 10:24 Quote
TheInsideLine wrote:
Does anyone have any Beta on moose area? I hope that billy dog / toothless would be good to go soon.

The area got So Much Snow recently. I wouldn't be overly optimistic, but I'd be happy to be wrong.

Posted: Apr 3, 2021 at 12:11 Quote
Word is 5” on Husky still. Not sure about moose

Posted: Apr 5, 2021 at 10:13 Quote
Had a couple great days testing out the new ride in bowmont, just a couple mud pits to be avoided, otherwise it was dusty

Posted: Apr 5, 2021 at 11:24 Quote
arrowheadrush wrote:
Had a couple great days testing out the new ride in bowmont, just a couple mud pits to be avoided, otherwise it was dusty

I went there yesterday before lunch and it turned to a disaster with that wet snow. Once the snow started, I proceeded back to the paved path and rode back. Complete mess - super soft, etc.

That being said, I had a nice dry and dusty ride on Thursday after work. Zero mess to clean up.

Posted: Apr 5, 2021 at 17:45 Quote
Bowness was all fine today except waterfall valley (East side) which was far worse than even Saturday.

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 14:27 Quote
d-man wrote:
RocketSocks wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
1. Most DH bikes were not 50 lbs. Up there, but few hit 50 and very few were over.
2. e-bikes can be well over 50 lbs.

Maybe there's some other reason, such as concerns over customers being able to reliably load e-bikes at the necessary rate. In any case, I suspect it's weight.

My 06 Giant ReignX was 48lbs (66, dh wheels & tires), my ebike is 52lbs (alloy, Enduro spec, full size motor and battery). Most recent e-mtbs are in the low 50's for weight with an increasing number being under 50.

Either way if it is weight than say that not "no e-bikes" as that is not a reliable indicator of weight its like saying no bikes with dual crown forks because some are heavy...

If they built a climbing trail or let me climb the road I'd be there a few times a year otherwise I'll end up elsewhere :shrug:

Call or email and let them know. Bikers need to make more noise instead of just being happy with what they are given.

Seems they listened, this is from here: https://www.panoramaresort.com/explore/mountain-bike-park

bigquotesE-bikes and heavy bikes - is your bike too beefy for the chairlift?
The Mile One chairlift system currently cannot accommodate bikes which weigh more than 45 lbs. The greatest concern is E-Bikes and old generation downhill bikes. All E-bikes must be weighed and approved by a bike technician at Mountain Outfitters before it can be loaded on the chairlift.

Bikes that have been approved for use will display a Monster hologram sticker on the handlebar and are able to be loaded onto the chairlift. If a Lift Attendant is concerned about the weight of a bike, they may direct a guest to Mountain Outfitters to have their bike weighed and approved.

If your bike is over 45 lbs, you can still ride the Bike Park but you will need to take an uptrack instead of the chairlift. You still need to purchase a Bike Park ticket or pass so see our Guest Services team and they will give you access to the uptrack and Bike Park.

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 21:03 Quote
photogx wrote:
d-man wrote:
RocketSocks wrote:

My 06 Giant ReignX was 48lbs (66, dh wheels & tires), my ebike is 52lbs (alloy, Enduro spec, full size motor and battery). Most recent e-mtbs are in the low 50's for weight with an increasing number being under 50.

Either way if it is weight than say that not "no e-bikes" as that is not a reliable indicator of weight its like saying no bikes with dual crown forks because some are heavy...

If they built a climbing trail or let me climb the road I'd be there a few times a year otherwise I'll end up elsewhere :shrug:

Call or email and let them know. Bikers need to make more noise instead of just being happy with what they are given.

Seems they listened, this is from here: https://www.panoramaresort.com/explore/mountain-bike-park

The Mile One chairlift system currently cannot accommodate bikes which weigh more than 45 lbs. The greatest concern is E-Bikes and old generation downhill bikes. All E-bikes must be weighed and approved by a bike technician at Mountain Outfitters before it can be loaded on the chairlift.

Bikes that have been approved for use will display a Monster hologram sticker on the handlebar and are able to be loaded onto the chairlift. If a Lift Attendant is concerned about the weight of a bike, they may direct a guest to Mountain Outfitters to have their bike weighed and approved.

If your bike is over 45 lbs, you can still ride the Bike Park but you will need to take an uptrack instead of the chairlift. You still need to purchase a Bike Park ticket or pass so see our Guest Services team and they will give you access to the uptrack and Bike Park.

WTF? Seriously? My Balfa weighed more then that! Isn't lift access geared for downhill bikes? Punters have taken over the world! Pussies!

CM!

Posted: Apr 9, 2021 at 7:37 Quote
Cro-Mag wrote:
photogx wrote:
d-man wrote:

WTF? Seriously? My Balfa weighed more then that! Isn't lift access geared for downhill bikes? Punters have taken over the world! Pussies!

CM!
yeah I remember my Banshee Scream with Monster was 52 pounds and we pedaled a lot in those days!

Posted: Apr 9, 2021 at 9:34 Quote
jerome wrote:
Cro-Mag wrote:
photogx wrote:

CM!
yeah I remember my Banshee Scream with Monster was 52 pounds and we pedaled a lot in those days!
Yep 2001 Team DH with shiver, intense tires was 52lbs, pedalled it around Edmonton urban assault daily.
This bs started because one patroller didn't want to lift bikes off the rack.
Instead of being pro active and upgrading the racks to roll on style they take the cheap easy way out at tell customers no.
But hey they got another $900k in grant money for snowmaking.... that's more money than they have ever invested in all the years combined for the bike park.

Posted: Apr 9, 2021 at 12:03 Quote
d-man wrote:
jerome wrote:
Cro-Mag wrote:

CM!
Yep 2001 Team DH with shiver, intense tires was 52lbs, pedalled it around Edmonton urban assault daily.
Instead of being pro active and upgrading the racks to roll on style they take the cheap easy way out at tell customers no.
But hey they got another $900k in grant money for snowmaking.... that's more money than they have ever invested in all the years combined for the bike park.

hey thats what yall get for riding e bikes! why are u even at the bike park.
i dont see a problem with more snow.

place round here just need to build a bike park in the first place, count yourself lucky u got one

Posted: Apr 9, 2021 at 16:31 Quote
13en wrote:
d-man wrote:
jerome wrote:

place round here just need to build a bike park in the first place, count yourself lucky u got one
I have a DH bike for the park and I'll pedal my Ebike up if I'm going to the top. But there are quite a few older bikes that will not make the weight limit.
No issues with more snow either, just a comparison as to how little they invest in the summer operation. The staff overall have done a great job to make the park what it is but it could be the top destination with some real money invested.

Posted: Apr 9, 2021 at 17:29 Quote
I was out today looking for something to do so I went for a walk with my dog. The trails accessible from the Fullerton Loop/Allen Bill lot are still far from ready for bikes. Parts of Snagmore are summertime dry, but there are also parts under water or covered in ice.

The Elbow Valley trail is either ice, under water, or 1" of peanut butter mud on a frozen substrate.

Few more weeks.

Posted: Apr 9, 2021 at 17:30 Quote
d-man wrote:
13en wrote:
d-man wrote:

I have a DH bike for the park and I'll pedal my Ebike up if I'm going to the top. But there are quite a few older bikes that will not make the weight limit.
No issues with more snow either, just a comparison as to how little they invest in the summer operation. The staff overall have done a great job to make the park what it is but it could be the top destination with some real money invested.

Cant you take the battery off on a bunch of ebikes? I'm thinking toss it in a backpack and reinstall at the top.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009869
Mobile Version of Website