Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Apr 9, 2021 at 18:45 Quote
husstler wrote:
d-man wrote:
13en wrote:

hey thats what yall get for riding e bikes! why are u even at the bike park.
i dont see a problem with more snow.

place round here just need to build a bike park in the first place, count yourself lucky u got one
I have a DH bike for the park and I'll pedal my Ebike up if I'm going to the top. But there are quite a few older bikes that will not make the weight limit.
No issues with more snow either, just a comparison as to how little they invest in the summer operation. The staff overall have done a great job to make the park what it is but it could be the top destination with some real money invested.

Cant you take the battery off on a bunch of ebikes? I'm thinking toss it in a backpack and reinstall at the top.
I can and have a 3d printed cover so I can use the bike without the battery. Drops 12ish lbs.

Posted: Apr 9, 2021 at 19:08 Quote
13en wrote:
d-man wrote:
jerome wrote:

yeah I remember my Banshee Scream with Monster was 52 pounds and we pedaled a lot in those days!
Yep 2001 Team DH with shiver, intense tires was 52lbs, pedalled it around Edmonton urban assault daily.
This bs started because one patroller didn't want to lift bikes off the rack.
Instead of being pro active and upgrading the racks to roll on style they take the cheap easy way out at tell customers no.
But hey they got another $900k in grant money for snowmaking.... that's more money than they have ever invested in all the years combined for the bike park.

hey thats what yall get for riding e bikes! why are u even at the bike park.
i dont see a problem with more snow.

place round here just need to build a bike park in the first place, count yourself lucky u got one

You sound like one of those pussies......you don't know shit! Must be born in the mid 90's to talk shit like that. My wife used huff big bikes all day on that life. Sorry the ski patroller was that soft.

CM!

Posted: Apr 9, 2021 at 20:36 Quote
Just have to take it down the road a bit, Kicking Horse gondola doesn't discriminate against all those folks who are still ripping the portly rides from the early 2000s Beer

Posted: Apr 10, 2021 at 6:41 Quote
VPS13 wrote:
Just have to take it down the road a bit, Kicking Horse gondola doesn't discriminate against all those folks who are still ripping the portly rides from the early 2000s Beer

or take it up the road and go shuttle Swansea, Mount 7

there are plenty of options!

Posted: Apr 10, 2021 at 7:56 Quote
Invermere area is now covered in snow.

Posted: Apr 10, 2021 at 8:32 Quote
2 more weeks of winter, D?

Did someone come out of their house and see their shadow?!

Posted: Apr 10, 2021 at 13:13 Quote
husstler wrote:
2 more weeks of winter, D?

Did someone come out of their house and see their shadow?!
Nah be good to go tomorrow melting fast. Needed the moisture, kloosifier was bone dry and dusty already.

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 15:55 Quote
Moose Road was in good condition at 8:30 this morning. Shaft showed about 2+ feet of snow up top (we didn't ride it). Race of Spades had about a foot just off the road, but rode pretty good on the upper half. Lower half had lots of sneaky ice (even with studs on the fatbike). In the areas on the exit where the snow had all melted and the sun shine was hitting it, the dirt had started to get squishy by 11am so ride early.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 18:12 Quote
Does anyone know of publicly available elevation profiles for the trails in the sheep valley area (Sandy McNabb, Indian Oils, North Fork, Mesa Butte, etc.)? The majority of the official trails aren't on Trailforks.

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 11:53 Quote
photogx wrote:
Does anyone know of publicly available elevation profiles for the trails in the sheep valley area (Sandy McNabb, Indian Oils, North Fork, Mesa Butte, etc.)? The majority of the official trails aren't on Trailforks.

There’re not on trail forks because they make for pretty crappy riding honestly. The Sheep Valley is mostly horse country, not a lot of the stuff makes for a nice ride. Some of the trails like Mesa Butte prohibit mountain biking. Sandy McNabb and North Fork are extensively used by equestrians. The trails surrounding both really reflect that (compounded with poor maintenance and original construction in general). Indian Oils is the only one you listed that would probably make an alright ride. AllTrails has the elevation for the ones that Trailforks doesn’t have.

I forgot to add, a lot of the trails in the Sheep Valley were heavily damaged by the 2013 and floods and have been repaired to varying degrees because that area isn’t super popular aside from trails right near Sandy McNabb and Sheep River Falls and isn’t a high priority for trail maintenance as a result. Unless the trail descriptions or reports are more recent than 2013 expect them to be wrong.

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 11:01 Quote
Any word on crowsnest? Things were looking on track to dry out soon... did they get snow this week as well?

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 12:14 Quote
Also curious about Crowsnest.

Drove out to Bowmont today for work. Saw some people riding, with fairly clean bikes. Trails there are are looking tacky!

Posted: Apr 20, 2021 at 16:00 Quote
bkooy wrote:
Any word on crowsnest? Things were looking on track to dry out soon... did they get snow this week as well?

They received snow as well, delayed and waiting for melting.

Posted: Apr 21, 2021 at 5:43 Quote
rode Bowmont park/sideshow Bob last night, good fun, dry not very busy when we rode at around 5 pm

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 6:57 Quote
jerome wrote:
rode Bowmont park/sideshow Bob last night, good fun, dry not very busy when we rode at around 5 pm

busier last night, lots of big groups out and very dry (dusty dry)

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009308
Mobile Version of Website