Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: May 12, 2021 at 11:21 Quote
Eastlands (The Poo) is in great shape and all dry if anyone is curious.

Crazy to see if get fairly busy in the evenings but currently limited options to ride.

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 11:42 Quote
Still no trail signage even with CAMBA maintaining it

O+
Posted: May 12, 2021 at 12:01 Quote
I'm not sure how much benefit signage would be though is it's such a rabbit warren you'd be stopping every 30 seconds. The best bet is just to do some exploring and work out favorite loops. Some of the new jumps are worthy of a look before leaping as they seem to be "improved" on a daily basis currently.

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 12:42 Quote
sweaman2 wrote:
I'm not sure how much benefit signage would be though is it's such a rabbit warren you'd be stopping every 30 seconds. The best bet is just to do some exploring and work out favorite loops. Some of the new jumps are worthy of a look before leaping as they seem to be "improved" on a daily basis currently.

Agreed Mark. Best to go with someone that knows or explore. A few downs you don't wanna go up. And a few ups you maybe want to find a better/easier up Beer

Posted: May 15, 2021 at 13:27 Quote
Jumping Pound Loop is mint already

O+
Posted: May 15, 2021 at 23:34 Quote
https://globalnews.ca/news/7861955/bragg-creek-gateway-village-development-approved/

One thing I have never thought before was that Bragg needs a hotel, condo, townhouse development to bring the downtown urbanite lifestyle out of the city. Maybe I'm just nostalgic or old fashioned but this seems like putting chrome spinning rims on a Model T, feels so damn out of place...

Just makes me sad

O+
Posted: May 16, 2021 at 9:00 Quote
VPS13 wrote:
https://globalnews.ca/news/7861955/bragg-creek-gateway-village-development-approved/

One thing I have never thought before was that Bragg needs a hotel, condo, townhouse development to bring the downtown urbanite lifestyle out of the city. Maybe I'm just nostalgic or old fashioned but this seems like putting chrome spinning rims on a Model T, feels so damn out of place...

Just makes me sad
yeah that is sad, first the park fee and now this

Posted: May 16, 2021 at 17:41 Quote
Playing devils advocate here, wouldn’t more medium density housing in Bragg help :

1. Bring more businesses to Bragg area
2. Put more people on the trails - which correlates directly to more money in trails and more helpers?
3. Spur better infrastructure to alleviate increased traffic (roundabout at the main intersection which is always clogged)
4. Create a bit of a Squamish/Pemberton kind of scene ? Those places are getting heavily built up and seem to have very robust riding communities ?

I say more townhomes so we can get a ski lift on moose, or like a tractor shuttle that takes 30 bikes and people per trip

And hopefully another husky down the road. If everyone didn’t have to drive an hour or 45min to get there wouldn’t it get more building happening out there legal or even the other kind ?

13en wrote:
VPS13 wrote:

Just makes me sad

O+
Posted: May 16, 2021 at 17:54 Quote
dihanventer wrote:
Playing devils advocate here, wouldn’t more medium density housing in Bragg help :

2. Put more people on the trails - which correlates directly to more money in trails and more helpers?
3. Spur better infrastructure to alleviate increased traffic (roundabout at the main intersection which is always clogged)
4. Create a bit of a Squamish/Pemberton kind of scene ? Those places are getting heavily built up and seem to have very robust riding communities ?

I say more townhomes so we can get a ski lift on moose, or like a tractor shuttle that takes 30 bikes and people per trip

And hopefully another husky down the road. If everyone didn’t have to drive an hour or 45min to get there wouldn’t it get more building happening out there legal or even the other kind ?

13en wrote:
VPS13 wrote:

Just makes me sad

You did a good job of listing reasons why many people oppose developments like this. The passionate core wants it to themselves for free, as it always has been.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2021 at 19:12 Quote
Rmcfarland wrote:
dihanventer wrote:

13en wrote:

You did a good job of listing reasons why many people oppose developments like this. The passionate core wants it to themselves for free, as it always has been.

Def details the reasons why I oppose it anyways, not necessarily that I want it 'for free', but that I would rather not see a small town which has been very similar form since I was a child, being bastardized into some semi downtown urbanite wealth cespool because a group of a few suits feel its a good business opportunity. No surprise Rockyview County supports it, the potential tax revenue from a huge project like this will line the coffers, I would also venture that some pockets have been lined along the way.

Just feels shady to me how this was seemingly hush hush through the whole process (I live 15 mins away and am in town every other day and this is the first I had heard of it) but no surprise that a bunch of politicians would sell out the landscape in exchange for financial motives.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2021 at 19:41 Quote
In the past 2 years I have seen it in local news, but it's not a front page headline. I think the Cochrane paper covered it at least a few times.

Must be good tax revenue for sure. For Rockyview this is a substantial chunk of change.

O+
Posted: May 18, 2021 at 8:04 Quote
Yellowstone Season 4: Bragg Creek.

How will they stop the development this time? Tune in every week to find out!!

Too bad that instead of a John Dutton, all Bragg has is some ninny standing at the base of Braggin' Rights telling you not to ride your bike if it has rained in the last 30 days.

O+
Posted: May 18, 2021 at 8:53 Quote
Found a pressure gauge on the trail. Let me know if you lost one.

O+
Posted: May 18, 2021 at 10:36 Quote
On a more biking specific item, the government and Friends of Fish Creek has put forward a master plan for the trails in the park, looks like a number of "natural" trails will be closed as part of it. If you ride there be a good idea to review the plan and provide feedback

https://www.alberta.ca/fish-creek-provincial-park-trails-engagement.aspx

O+
Posted: May 18, 2021 at 20:19 Quote
photogx wrote:
On a more biking specific item, the government and Friends of Fish Creek has put forward a master plan for the trails in the park, looks like a number of "natural" trails will be closed as part of it. If you ride there be a good idea to review the plan and provide feedback

https://www.alberta.ca/fish-creek-provincial-park-trails-engagement.aspx

As one who lives close by Fish and spend a lot of time there on the bike and with the family, I say the changes are welcome. It does look like they will crack down an a bunch of the fun steep little runs, and that sucks. A lot of the other trails to be closed are useless short connectors that get beaten in over the years. But they will build some new trails and even mention building TTF's. Looks like some new connector trails between the east and west which would help with staying on the trail more and not having to ride the paved trails with all the other people on them. At the end of the day I'm happy if they fix the existing problem areas that don't drain well and help with keeping user groups conflicts at a minimum.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.030105
Mobile Version of Website