Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Aug 28, 2021 at 12:33 Quote
There is filming but yesterday was only on 66 and limited crew.

Posted: Aug 28, 2021 at 15:48 Quote
zyphen wrote:
There is filming but yesterday was only on 66 and limited crew.

Thanks! Having read back saw there was a sow and cubs wandering Moose ways so I went to West Bragg, which was shockingly not packed. Except with cows.

I need to ride more, was a really great vibe out there.

Posted: Aug 29, 2021 at 13:27 Quote
Razors was primo today. Someone has been in doing a bit of cleanup. Raked some loose rocks, cleared some grown in sections of trail. Best it’s been in years.

Posted: Sep 7, 2021 at 21:18 Quote
A heads up regarding Wildhorse. While at the canyon today- I was informed by a rancher on horseback of a bear kill (a calf) site not far off the road leading to the canyon viewpoint. On my return I was able to easily indentify the spot by the horde of circling squawking ravens, while riding very quickly by, yelling like a madman with my spray close at hand. I have reported it to conservation. Other than that- great old school riding conditions, but I wouldn't recommend it right now unless you take the shortcut further north.
Calf killed by bear.

Posted: Sep 9, 2021 at 6:06 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
A heads up regarding Wildhorse. While at the canyon today- I was informed by a rancher on horseback of a bear kill (a calf) site not far off the road leading to the canyon viewpoint. On my return I was able to easily indentify the spot by the horde of circling squawking ravens, while riding very quickly by, yelling like a madman with my spray close at hand. I have reported it to conservation. Other than that- great old school riding conditions, but I wouldn't recommend it right now unless you take the shortcut further north.

Thanks for the heads up and wicked pics!

Posted: Sep 12, 2021 at 20:18 Quote
Not trail related but bike related. Thieves broke into my garage last night and stole 4 mountain bikes. If anyone sees them let me or Calgary Police know. Bikes are
2020 YT Decoy shred XXL grey and black (ebike) mullet set up
2018 devinci wilson. This was raced by dakota Norton in world cups so it says "norton" on the crown, and "Dak" on the rims as well as has a black box chain ring. Red and yellow with Atlas rims
Slime green evil insurgent. 27.5 with nylon flat pedals
2016 Nukeproof mega 290. It's green on green with mis-matched brakes.
All of these are pretty unique. Thanks for your help.

Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 7:36 Quote
employee7 wrote:
Not trail related but bike related. Thieves broke into my garage last night and stole 4 mountain bikes. If anyone sees them let me or Calgary Police know. Bikes are
2018 devinci wilson. This was raced by dakota Norton in world cups so it says "norton" on the crown, and "Dak" on the rims as well as has a black box chain ring. Red and yellow with Atlas rims

How did they get in to your garage? Hoping you can share to keep the rest of us just a little safer.

Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 15:33 Quote
zyphen wrote:
employee7 wrote:

How did they get in to your garage? Hoping you can share to keep the rest of us just a little safer.

What area of the city? Our neighborhood has had tons of garage break ins and bike thefts the last couple of years.
Close to Calgary Cycle.

Will keep an eye open for your bikes. Not very common bikes. Were they all XXL?

Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 20:03 Quote
Please post to Bike Index. I couldn’t find any of the bikes on there.

employee7 wrote:

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 16:29 Quote
Your slime green insurgent was spotted in Inglewood heading towards East Village today.

employee7 wrote:

Posted: Sep 16, 2021 at 6:44 Quote
Rode sulfur/pneuma/race of spades last night after the rain and cold. Lots of puddles, no real mud on the trails (seemed to drain well), inklings of snow up above 7-27 but definitely not a covering, more spotty tufts of snow and none on the trail itself. Tons of traction on Race of Spades except for the odd cross trail rooty slide.

Posted: Sep 17, 2021 at 21:32 Quote
Did you forget your coat at the top of Loamzilla? There is a Large Maroon Outdoor Research rain shell hanging on a tree waiting for you to come back.

Trails were awesome as well

Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 6:52 Quote
southernrockyflow wrote:
Your slime green insurgent was spotted in Inglewood heading towards East Village today.

employee7 wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. I have registered them on Bike Index. The nukeproof was recovereed by police. Some guy and his girl were getting rowdy in a tim hortons in the SE and the police were called. They found it in the bed of their truck. Lesson for everyone if you are going to do meth in a timmy's don't have stolen gear on you.

The thieves broke into the man door in my garage with a crowbar. They took only the 4 bikes. There was other stuff of value in there like skis and tools that they didn't take so it seemed targeted. No one else on my block was broken into. I'm guessing they walked by while the door was open (while I was loading up one day) and saw what was in there. I had an exterior light but not a motion sensor. I will put one of those up and am going to lock all my bikes to the floor in the garage moving forward.

Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 9:43 Quote
Make sure your new exterior light has an integrated LED. Last year, my garage was hit and they simply unscrewed the bulbs so they could work in the dark.

Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 21:03 Quote
employee7 wrote:
it seemed targeted. No one else on my block was broken into. I'm guessing they walked by while the door was open (while I was loading up one day) and saw what was in there.

In my case, my car was followed for several kilometers while I was driving home with the bike on my rack. I didn't think too much of it at the time, then my garage was hit a few days later. Like you, power tools and other valuables were untouched.

My suggestions for garage security, in order of priority:

1. Deadbolt lock that can't be "bumped".
2. Reinforced deadbolt pocket in the door frame, preferably attached to the framing of the garage with long screws.
3. Steel reinforced door frame, attached to the framing with long screws.
4. Strong door that's unlikely to be broken.
5. Bars on the windows.
6. Car door with an automatic deadbolt to deter car jack attack (prying the door up with a wrecking bar, then a car jack).
7. Lights and camera, but these really don't do much.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010638
Mobile Version of Website