Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 21:34 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
employee7 wrote:
it seemed targeted. No one else on my block was broken into. I'm guessing they walked by while the door was open (while I was loading up one day) and saw what was in there.

In my case, my car was followed for several kilometers while I was driving home with the bike on my rack. I didn't think too much of it at the time, then my garage was hit a few days later. Like you, power tools and other valuables were untouched.

My suggestions for garage security, in order of priority:

1. Deadbolt lock that can't be "bumped".
2. Reinforced deadbolt pocket in the door frame, preferably attached to the framing of the garage with long screws.
3. Steel reinforced door frame, attached to the framing with long screws.
4. Strong door that's unlikely to be broken.
5. Bars on the windows.
6. Car door with an automatic deadbolt to deter car jack attack (prying the door up with a wrecking bar, then a car jack).
7. Lights and camera, but these really don't do much.

1. Security system
2. Guns

CM!

O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 4:41 Quote
Cro-Mag wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
employee7 wrote:
it seemed targeted. No one else on my block was broken into. I'm guessing they walked by while the door was open (while I was loading up one day) and saw what was in there.

In my case, my car was followed for several kilometers while I was driving home with the bike on my rack. I didn't think too much of it at the time, then my garage was hit a few days later. Like you, power tools and other valuables were untouched.

2. Reinforced deadbolt pocket in the door frame, preferably attached to the framing of the garage with long screws.
5. Bars on the windows.
6. Car door with an automatic deadbolt to deter car jack attack (prying the door up with a wrecking bar, then a car jack).

1. Security system
2. Guns

CM!

Bolts in the rails for main door so it can't be lifted. They push the top of door in and use a coat hanger to catch the release.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 14:45 Quote
brucie1 wrote:
Cro-Mag wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

5. Bars on the windows.

1. Security system
2. Guns

CM!

Bolts in the rails for main door so it can't be lifted. They push the top of door in and use a coat hanger to catch the release.

Slap a zip tie on the release, makes it almost impossible to pull with a coat hanger, and easy enough to cut if you need to use it.

O+
Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 8:40 Quote
I would add to that, store your bikes inside your home if possible or lock the bike inside the garage with a heavy chain or quality u-lock.

R-M-R wrote:
employee7 wrote:

5. Bars on the windows.

O+
Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 13:15 Quote
some tips for those that store bikes in the garage.

I put an occupancy sensor on the main light switch and i have motion sensor lights all around. any time the door opens (man door or car door) the light will turn on. I do have a camera in the garage as well but as others said, i dont know that this helps much if at all, but it does send my phone and watch a notification - having said that if im asleep, good luck, I wont be woken by it (a person could run an IFTTT to turn on a bedroom lamp or something if you wanted to). I will be putting up security cam signs as well just as a hopeful deterrent.

next summer I will be bolting an anchor on the floor of my garage for my bike(s). i only keep my hardtail (lower value) in my garage and keep the nice ones inside but i'd certainly prefer to keep them in the garage - just dont want to risk having them stolen. in the winter, they all get stored in the basement.

and of course....use a beefy lock....not just a cable lock. i use the kryptonite chain locks (~$175) that cant be cropped.

O+
Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 13:49 Quote
Anyone hiding gps trackers in their bikes? Thinking of a tile or something similar you can put in a difficult to find spot and then trace with your phone.

Then you can lead the cops there, or handle as you wish Smile

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 18:10 Quote
I’d be more inclined to use an airtag because any iOS device would help locate it as opposed to only those with a Tile app.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 19:10 Quote
There are limitations to these approaches:

• Police are rarely very interested in visuals of the thieves. There was an example a couple years ago of a thief who dropped his driver's license with his current address, and the police stated they had no intention to follow up.
• Unless you have all the serial numbers - assuming the thieves haven't already removed them - and/or positive identification of your frame, the police can't get a conviction. Without a conviction, it's not worth their time.
• If you locate and take back your property, you may be guilty of theft or other crimes. Not worth it.
• If you make an insurance claim, you're out the deductible (plus increased rates), and the insurance company becomes the owner of the bike. They won't make an effort to hunt down the thieves, so there's no potential for conviction ... and you're still out the deductible.

As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Prevent it from being stolen in the first place, because there's little to be done after the fact. Secure your garage and don't worry about jumping at every alert to your phone or what to do when you're asleep or away from the house. The steps I mentioned previously can be done for the price of a wireless derailleur.

I was even involved in two attempted sting operations by providing positive identification of some of my stolen components being sold by two of Calgary's biggest bike theft groups, and both operations fell through when the thieves got suspicious and simply didn't answer the door.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 19:19 Quote
If we don't mind getting off topic for a trail report ...

Lusk Pass ascent to Jumpingpound Ridge - 2021 09 24

I'd heard it was a brutal climb, blown out, etc., but it was actually good. More challenging than the Summit Trail climb, but not much more so. Trail condition was mostly good and the steep sections weren't unrealistic. Similar to the Cox Hill climb below treeline.

The physical challenge is probably at the limit for average riders, so there's potential for big time gaps between riders with fairly similar fitness on either side of the pedal vs. walk threshold.

O+
Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 7:18 Quote
WBC - Ranger, Snakes and Strange Brew all had better than 50% snow coverage, probably ~1/2"+ of packed snow. Surprisingly tacky for our skinny summer bike tires but any off-camber roots were definitely slippery.

O+
Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 7:59 Quote
Areas around Calgary (Moose Mtn, Bragg Creek, Paskapoo) are all in great condition! A bit chilly in the early am but warms up nicely by 10am! The riding days are numbered so get your azz out there and ride . . .

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 20:24 Quote
How’s Canmore for a Friday early afternooner? Any snow ?

O+
Posted: Oct 15, 2021 at 4:09 Quote
dihanventer wrote:

No snow in Canmore & trails are good! Only 8C for a high today so dress warm!

O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 13:26 Quote
dihanventer wrote:

i rode prospector in exshaw and nordic center on the saturday and it was great. i suspect we have a couple weeks left still of no snow riding.

O+
Posted: Oct 23, 2021 at 21:13 Quote
blamalamadingdong wrote:
dihanventer wrote:

i rode prospector in exshaw and nordic center on the saturday and it was great. i suspect we have a couple weeks left still of no snow riding.

I was out to Bragg Creek on Thursday afternoon (Braggin Rights/Merlins) and there was 0 snow, anywhere! Awesome conditions, sunny, and not busy! Killer rides on my new Yeti 130 TLR! Thanks Chris!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.019571
Mobile Version of Website