Trail Conditions for Calgarians
O+
Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 14:39 Quote
Prairie View Jewel is running great. A few icy spots, but 99% great

O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2022 at 15:27 Quote
danny wrote:
Prairie View Jewel is running great. A few icy spots, but 99% great

Seconded - icy down onto the bridge on top of Jewel Falls, then some clear ice sections from the bottom out past the power line to watch for. Up top the descent was grippy and smooth, very few ruts (maybe a few of the upper corners have short sections).

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2022 at 11:50 Quote
Slightly off topic but what's the current consensus on rear racks for trucks?

I've got a NSR-4 but am contemplating going for an NSR-6 and wondering what else is out there...

I know there was a certain brand that started off well but then the welds started failing???

Doesn't need to work for road bikes but does need to work for fat bikes....

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2022 at 12:11 Quote
I had an NSR-4 and replaced it with a Mammoth Mounts four bike rack in the fall. They also make a six bike model. I'd say both brands of rack weigh about the same and have roughly the same quality of hardware.

Pros:
Mammoth has an anti-wobble device, better than hammering in a washer as per the NSR instructions
It's made here
You can go and pick it up, avoiding shipping costs
Works for fat bikes, road bikes, kids bikes
Paint looks to be more durable than the matte black on the NSR (galvanized and powder coated)
Very sturdy structure - the joints are mostly overlapping with no structural welds

Cons:
I have only used it a few times before winter set in so I can't comment on long term durability
Holds the handlebars so if you have a lot of GPS/light accessory stuff going on in the bar/stem area that might need a re-work
It's not the standard issue NSR, where re-selling one down the line is easy
It might be slightly faster to load an NSR but not by much

Edit: I don't have a DH bike so I can't comment on the dual crown bracket/hooks.

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2022 at 7:17 Quote
sweaman2 wrote:
I've got a NSR-4 but am contemplating going for an NSR-6 and wondering what else is out there...
I know there was a certain brand that started off well but then the welds started failing???

How many bikes are you loading on a regular basis? I use the Thule T2 Pro XTR for 4 bikes. I don’t believe there is a better built bike rack out there! Yes, it is pricey, but you get what you pay for!

http://https://www.ridleys.com/product/thule-t2-pro-xtr-2-2-bike-389495-1.htm?variations=606510,606512,606511&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxc2416bh9QIV4jo4Ch2PVAExEAQYAiABEgITV_D_BwE

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2022 at 7:38 Quote
I'm mostly loading 4 but sweajnr is growing and sometimes he wants more friends so occasionally 5 at least would be nice. Also I'm finding that with all the bikes being boost / superboost / fat bike means that even 4 bikes on a NSR 4 can be tight around the rear axles and sometimes it'd be nice to have some extra space.

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2022 at 11:25 Quote
sweaman2, I hope you are getting a trip bonus for every bike you load! LOL! That is a lot to carry! WOW!

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2022 at 12:24 Quote
sweaman2 wrote:
I'm mostly loading 4 but sweajnr is growing and sometimes he wants more friends so occasionally 5 at least would be nice. Also I'm finding that with all the bikes being boost / superboost / fat bike means that even 4 bikes on a NSR 4 can be tight around the rear axles and sometimes it'd be nice to have some extra space.

Have you looked at the 5X by Velocirax? Solid reviews, I’ve talked to people who have them and are quite happy. Think that’ll be my next rack as I have two juniors pedaling this year. And apparently that rack is great if mrsswea loads and unloads the bikes.

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2022 at 13:08 Quote
sweaman2 wrote:

Which brand was that?

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2022 at 13:25 Quote
I honestly can't remember (and it being winter I've not been to Ings recently) which was part of the reason for initiating a discussion.

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2022 at 21:39 Quote
It was Recon racks that was having failures. However I see that they have changed their wheel capture design so that issue may have been fixed. They also appear to be manufactured (or at least distributed) by 1-up now, who are known for their ultra sturdy tray racks.
We own one of the VelociRAX, a 5 bike model. Seems fairly well constructed though we have not tested very hard. It's easy to load and the hydraulic lift and lower system is really quite clever. We purchased a couple of Fatbike wheel holders for it that work well also. The weakness that I have found is that since the wheel securing devices are rubber straps there is a fair amount of movement of the bikes when being transported on rough roads. So, great as a highway transport rack, but I don't like it on the rough shuttle roads as the bikes can move independently and potentially make contact with each other. That was always the advantage of the North Shore, once the wheels are firmly secured the bikes don't move relative to each other.
There is another Canadian brand called Shuttlerack.ca that I have seen around and looks similar to the Recon and velocirax, don't know anything else about it.
My current favorite is the Khyber Rack. It has really heavy duty construction and a non-elastic wheel capture that can really lock down the rear wheels. I rode in the bed of a truck up the Matheson Creek rd. outside of Fernie at a fairly high rate of speed. They were impressively stable the entire way. They would be the only choice if they weren't so darned expensive.

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2022 at 17:44 Quote
Friend has a Mammoth 6 bike rack. It is pretty beefy compared to NSR and the price is good too. The anti rattle system is pretty sweet too. Also helps in securing the hitch. Those hitch locks are very easy to break.

I think my next rack will be a Velocirax 5X. I like the additional spacing and not having to worry about pedals hitting frames.

O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2022 at 7:30 Quote
Sharkon wrote:
sweaman2 wrote:

How many bikes are you loading on a regular basis? I use the Thule T2 Pro XTR for 4 bikes. I don’t believe there is a better built bike rack out there! Yes, it is pricey, but you get what you pay for!

http://https://www.ridleys.com/product/thule-t2-pro-xtr-2-2-bike-389495-1.htm?variations=606510,606512,606511&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxc2416bh9QIV4jo4Ch2PVAExEAQYAiABEgITV_D_BwE

I use this as well, but just the 2 bike. how do you find the 4 bike if youre just moving 1 bike? i dont have a ton of use for the extra attchment unless im shuttling

Posted: Feb 9, 2022 at 9:03 Quote
Update on WBC from last night. Getting pretty icy out there. Lots of trees down too. That said, some amazing people have cleared lots of the trees again. If you wanna fat bike, snowy owl is your best bet. The boundary part you NEED studs, the rest on the west side of ranger summit you can ride without probably.

Basically, ride with studs or risk broken limbs.......

Posted: Feb 9, 2022 at 15:37 Quote
Any recent eyes on Billy, Toothless, Jean Guy? Would think the hope a window dirt poaching might not be absurd, as they usually dont have a mud phase when that wind is blasting.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015420
Mobile Version of Website