Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
| Next Page
Posted: May 20, 2022 at 20:59 Quote
Stopped to have a look at Billy Dog on our way up the Moose Road tonight - probably 2" of wet packed snow with no tracks yet. Family guy looked wet/clear to the south and snowy/untracked to the north from Billy Dog.

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 6:39 Quote
2022 08 09 Baldy Pass logging update

After turning south onto the doubletrack, the doubletrack is alternately packed and dusty from heavy vehicle tracks. Encountered some serious machinery on the road; the operators courteously allowed us to pass as soon as they noticed us. It's a buzzkill if you're seeking wilderness and solitude, but only a minor inconvenience if you just want to get to the downhill.

The singletrack portion of the climb is the same as ever. Getting overgrown, so please snap a few branches as you go!

The descent is the same as ever.

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 16:01 Quote
we missed you ryan.

Posted: Aug 14, 2022 at 16:46 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
2022 08 09 Baldy Pass logging update

After turning south onto the doubletrack, the doubletrack is alternately packed and dusty from heavy vehicle tracks. Encountered some serious machinery on the road; the operators courteously allowed us to pass as soon as they noticed us. It's a buzzkill if you're seeking wilderness and solitude, but only a minor inconvenience if you just want to get to the downhill.

The singletrack portion of the climb is the same as ever. Getting overgrown, so please snap a few branches as you go!

The descent is the same as ever.

Haven't been up there in eons! Last time was just after the last round of logging.

I have fond memories of discovering the crack in my first Cannondale up there (somewhere in the last couple of up corners on the back side), taking it easy going down the front side then turning right at the highway as everyone else turned left, watching the crack open and close with each pedal stroke as I slowly made my way back up the highway towards barrier lake (it was on the top tube right at the seat tube junction), and watching a car full of Americans come to a screetching halt on the shoulder just up ahead of me only to watch all four of them jump out with cameras to go take photos of the two (yes two) grizzlies eating grass on the downhill side of the highway, thinking to myself 'yay, keep those bears busy while I try to escape cause there is no way I'm going to outrun them if they decide I'm tastier looking than the grass.'

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 15:43 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
we missed you ryan.

And I miss some of you! lol

I'm still here, it's just that the interactions were becoming more unpleasant than enjoyable, so I mostly stay out of the forums. Still reply to PMs and emails. Still ride. Meet me on the trail some time!

Posted: Sep 4, 2022 at 19:25 Quote
I lost some Smith goggles up the Lusk climb today on my Cox Ride. I am not sure where. They are purple with clear lenses if anyone comes across them.

Thanks
Josh

Posted: Sep 5, 2022 at 7:57 Quote
Billy Dog was pretty loose up top, better down on the lower half.

Posted: Sep 5, 2022 at 18:23 Quote
For anyone that has a gravel bike or just likes to get off the main trails Tom Snow North has been fully revitalized. Not sure if it's common knowledge but rode it today with a link-up of PF Road and it was pretty cool.

Pretty remote feeling but well-built and not terribly difficult. Pretty nice.

Posted: Sep 12, 2022 at 14:56 Quote
diabsoule wrote:
For anyone that has a gravel bike or just likes to get off the main trails Tom Snow North has been fully revitalized. Not sure if it's common knowledge but rode it today with a link-up of PF Road and it was pretty cool.

The re-routed and renovated TS north makes a great stick for a 32 km xc lollipop loop of Kestrel-Merlin-Kestrel from the Spruce Woods trailhead area off Hwy 68, with the return north on Tom way faster and more fun than you might expect. Or just with Merlin-Kestrel or vice versa for a 27 km ride. Can be a bit confusing the first time starting from that end...
New Tom Snow Access

Posted: Sep 13, 2022 at 19:50 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:
diabsoule wrote:

The re-routed and renovated TS north makes a great stick for a 32 km xc lollipop loop of Kestrel-Merlin-Kestrel from the Spruce Woods trailhead area off Hwy 68, with the return north on Tom way faster and more fun than you might expect. Or just with Merlin-Kestrel or vice versa for a 27 km ride. Can be a bit confusing the first time starting from that end...
New Tom Snow Access

I get your 'confusing' comment. When we crossed the Moose wellsite road after encountering 'Moose Loop' and where the old Tom Snow trail picked up again I was feeling a little lost. Thankfully someone had carved 'fOlloW rOaD' in the Tom Snow signs.

Posted: Sep 15, 2022 at 10:16 Quote
diabsoule wrote:
aka-bigsteve wrote:
diabsoule wrote:

New Tom Snow Access

I get your 'confusing' comment. When we crossed the Moose wellsite road after encountering 'Moose Loop' and where the old Tom Snow trail picked up again I was feeling a little lost. Thankfully someone had carved 'fOlloW rOaD' in the Tom Snow signs.

The revitalized Tom Snow North is nice, I like the way the trail was built. Do OHV have access in the winter months ?

Posted: Sep 16, 2022 at 5:07 Quote
Looking like just the gravel road for snowmobile use...

https://open.alberta.ca/publications/0778501136

Fxtim wrote:
diabsoule wrote:
aka-bigsteve wrote:

New Tom Snow Access

The revitalized Tom Snow North is nice, I like the way the trail was built. Do OHV have access in the winter months ?

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012772
Mobile Version of Website