Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2022 at 7:06 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Thank you for the updates, leftypumpkin. Is there potential for another Drycember / Juneuary on southwest exposures, or is there enough snow for that to be a long way off, if at all?

Snagmore/Sugar Daddy last weekend was starting to show a little dirt through the ice at the sunny spots. I think it could get to be patchy at best!

Posted: Nov 23, 2022 at 10:30 Quote
husstler,

Thank you for the information! Snagmore has never been one to fully dry, as it's more sheltered from the warm winds, but Sugar Daddy is a good candidate.

Looks like we may be getting more snow early next week.

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2022 at 17:50 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Thank you for the updates, leftypumpkin. Is there potential for another Drycember / Juneuary on southwest exposures, or is there enough snow for that to be a long way off, if at all?

Haven't hit too many south/west exposures yet so no info to pass along yet. I'll keep it in mind when I'm out. You could always try a Billy Dog or Toothless shuttleSmile , road is open for a few more days.

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 19:26 Quote
leftypumpkin wrote:
R-M-R wrote:

Haven't hit too many south/west exposures yet so no info to pass along yet. I'll keep it in mind when I'm out. You could always try a Billy Dog or Toothless shuttleSmile , road is open for a few more days.

@R-M-R: had a quick look down Billy Dog today - looked bare from where you drop in to down as far as I could see. Definitely snow above (from the road down to where Billy Dog leaves Family Guy). There were a couple of old tracks in the snow leading to the drop in point but nothing recent.

Posted: Nov 27, 2022 at 13:55 Quote
leftypumpkin wrote:
@R-M-R: had a quick look down Billy Dog today - looked bare from where you drop in to down as far as I could see. Definitely snow above (from the road down to where Billy Dog leaves Family Guy). There were a couple of old tracks in the snow leading to the drop in point but nothing recent.

Thanks again for the update. And now it's all going to change this week!

O+
Posted: Nov 27, 2022 at 14:46 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
leftypumpkin wrote:

Thanks again for the update. And now it's all going to change this week!

Yep. Sugar Daddy was probably 1/2 bare today (at least before the snow squalls - there was at least an inch of new snow on the double tracks between Snagmore & Boundary), punishing for sure on ridgid fat bikes, and the hikers at the top of Strange Brew said Sugar Momma was a ribbon of ice.

O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2022 at 17:04 Quote
Race of Spades was running good today, even the mid-trail climb was climbable. The ride-out to Tom Snow was pretty lumpy at the end due to hiker traffic.

O+
Posted: Dec 3, 2022 at 21:22 Quote
leftypumpkin wrote:
Race of Spades was running good today, even the mid-trail climb was climbable. The ride-out to Tom Snow was pretty lumpy at the end due to hiker traffic.

Fatbike? I’d guess yes.

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2022 at 9:23 Quote
husstler wrote:
leftypumpkin wrote:

Fatbike? I’d guess yes.

Yes - snow wasn't super deep but deep enough in spots to need it. I did see a skinny track on the shoulder riding back from Station Flats though. Amazing how lumpy hiker packed snow will spike your heart rate.

O+
Posted: Dec 10, 2022 at 16:56 Quote
There are now tracks down Puma Grande - we pushed up to the top but that wasn't really worth it for us (the combination of not steep enough and super deep resulted in lots of pushing, plus we pushed up through deep snow drifts to get to the top). There was a time during the middle of the trail where the combination of snow depth & fall line were perfect before the curve turned again and the plummet to snow depth ratio was upside down (too much plummet, not enough snow).

TLDR - there is a track now and I'm not saying you should ride it but you could ride it!

O+
Posted: Jan 2, 2023 at 15:31 Quote
Jean Guy was running good today - no recent tracks (other than the deer), three of us ploughed a line down (I got to lead with my big 4.6" tires cutting a slow and methodical line for the other two guys to rip along).

O+
Posted: Jan 8, 2023 at 14:38 Quote
Shaft was running slow up top (suggary snow with not much fall line), but as soon as the switchbacks turned down the riding was good.

Family Guy is packed and easily climbable, some clear ice-y bits on the three or four steep parts going up and there is some sideslope snow near the upper pipeline/powerline clearing.

7-27 is fast, lots of skinnies riding today. Watch out for the clear ice-y bits in the trees near the bottom. No real ruts yet.

Stones Throw was lumpy on Thursday night from horses, less so today after the weekend traffic. Lumpiness goes away after Elbow Valley.

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2023 at 12:39 Quote
Lomazilla was real good, only a tiny bit of ice and a few small dirt patches. Lower sidetracks has a decent bit of ice on it, but still pretty good.

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 7:01 Quote
Telephone Loop -> Disconnect -> Reconnect -> Merlin up + down -> snowy owl -> Snakes and Ladders -> Strange Brew. All running super fast with hard pack snow and ice. About a cm of fresh snow on top enough to hide ice sheets. Bunch of dirt poking out on top half of snakes.

Pneuma -> 727 -> Stone's throw loop is also running great. 727 is such a riot

O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2023 at 11:03 Quote
beware the tracks into Special-K - the guys didn't really ride it, the top was deep with a crust and no real tracks so hiked back out.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.024926
Mobile Version of Website