Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Sep 24, 2007 at 15:45 Quote
x-ker wrote:
never wrote:
We saw a couple of the ROS builders and stopped to chat, they are definitely doing an amazing job on the trail. Remember their request for nails...we'll drop some off next time we're up there. It's a small price to pay to ride the trail they put all of that work into.

just a quick note - if you're planning on leaving things for the builders, they had mentioned to me that we leave any items below the ROS sign at the top of the trail

Even better than leaving supplies - come and help out! OR if you're riding by and are asking how to help out - no better time than the present! I'll gladly hand my hammer/shovel/pick over to a willing and able rider. (just dont touch my fiskars axe! Evil Wink ) It's extremely easy for me to keep track of the number of times that someone has put their bike down to help me out: one. It's actually embarrassing...

Hopefully something more substantial will get organized before the snow sticks up there..hopefully we'll get more than 6 helpers this time..pm me your name and email and I'll get you on the list.

Posted: Sep 27, 2007 at 9:55 Quote
Moosepackers! trail - Wednesday, September 26 (night ride)

Went and did packers! as a night ride yesterday (damn, that's such a fun way to do that trail).

- Snow on the trail up top on the "death cookie" downhill
- snow on the trail on the sidehill
- snow on the trail on what is usually that super high speed section leading to the switchbacks
- snow beside the trail (not on it) down the switchbacks
- damp on the road leading to Tom Snow
- big puddles / wet on Tom Snow

It probably wouldn't have been nearly as good in the day, but I'd give it 4 smileys because night rides are always more fun! (1 smiley deducted for the amount of cleaning necessary on the bike / clothes)

Posted: Sep 28, 2007 at 5:34 Quote
Iron Springs/Tom Snow - Thursday, September 27

If you enjoy wading through cow and horse shit, this is the ride for you. Tom Snow is what x-ker said above. Be nice to your bike and skip Iron Springs.

Posted: Sep 28, 2007 at 9:57 Quote
xcolin wrote:
Iron Springs/Tom Snow - Thursday, September 27

If you enjoy wading through cow and horse shit, this is the ride for you. Tom Snow is what x-ker said above. Be nice to your bike and skip Iron Springs.

Big Grin that's probably why it's better to ride it at night...you have no idea exactly what it is you're riding through Big Grin

Posted: Sep 29, 2007 at 14:40 Quote
Fish Creek, Saturday, September 29

I saw on the news the other day that all the bridges are re-opened since they got washed away 2 years ago. So we headed out to do the fun stuff from Votier's Flats. I could be imagining things, but the bridges are now in totally different locations.

We used to go in from the trail along the river that heads south from the parking lot, then cross the bridge (#5 i think) and turn left into the trees. Now it seems you have to head west along the paved pathway from the parking lot, and then cross at the new bridge you see, then turn left into what looks like a whole bunch of logs, which behind that will finally get you to the trails. Anyways, just an FYI.

Trail Conditions - greasy, but not sloppy. Easy to slide out on the off-camber stuff. Also, there are some neat things to play around with where that little natural bowl thing is and surrounding area.

Posted: Sep 30, 2007 at 16:53 Quote
Jumpingpound Ridge - Thursday, Sept. 27

A couple days late, but Jumpingpound was actually in great shape. We rode from the south end up to the mountain top then turned around and descended the way we climbed.

Pretty much dry w/ scattered puddles towards the top. The last 500m or so before the turn-off to go to the summit is a bit snowy, but not too bad.

Anyone ridden Moose this weekend?

O+
Posted: Sep 30, 2007 at 18:17 Quote
Sulphur Springs and Canyon Creek - Sunday 30th
Very dry, considering. A couple boggy spots but nothing too bad. I figured there would be snow everywhere since it rained/snowed in Calgary Friday night but there was nothing in the trees or on the trail.
Don't know what it was like higher up on Moose though. Might have been worse in the shaded areas.

Posted: Sep 30, 2007 at 21:34 Quote
Powderface Creek/Prairie Creek Long Loop - Saturday, September 29

Rode it clockwise...

To the link - some snow, bunch of mud, some dry spots.

After the link - mainly snow covered over the rocky climb portion, the rooty portion before the ridge was wet and muddy with some snow.

The descent was snow-free but wet and the roots were slippery. It was pretty fun but the suspension stiffened with the cold air up making things rougher.

The road was great, packed and dust free.

Prairie Creek was pretty much all snow-free but was only dry in a few sections. Some sections were slick and others were rather muddy and wet.

Posted: Oct 1, 2007 at 7:08 Quote
Reclaimer/Rider's of Rohan/Ridgeline - RRRRRRRRRooooarrrr!!! - Sunday, Sept 30th

That's a lot or R's for trail names eh? I wonder what the Hippies in Canmore were smokin' when they decided to name these trails? Oh ya...I went for a bicycle ride, quite a lengthy one I might add, namely cause I ate a Fricken huge breakfast and didn't want to feel like a Fat SOB like I did on Saturday just sitting on the couch. HA HA (Nelson Voice)

Ok to my actual point...

Reclaimer: been there, done that, got the t-shirt, still a wicked rip though! - 1Smile

RofR: steep, down, rocky, a little snow up top, but added nicely to the sketch factor - 1Smile

Ridgeline - 3 Razz - This is a bit of bold and overzealous use of the smiling measuring scale, but honestly I haven't smoked corners like this in awhile. This new addition to the Canmore trail riding scene is a welcome one. I believe the "idea" of this trail is that of multi-use traverse to connect the Three-sister's side of things to that of the Grassi lakes side. In the process though some rather smart and intelligent builders decided to put some "berms" in. I'm not talking Massive played out berms like Fernie Bike Park berms nor' brick layered railer berms like Aline in Whistler. I'm talkin Smokin, Drill'n, fresh black earth, throw all your weight into the corner and drrrriiiiffftttt to you hearts content type corners. Needless to say me and the SC4x just about pee'd ourselves when we got to the bottom!

If you like to corner...and ME likes too, then you'll fricken love this trail.

The only down side was having to pedal straight up it A HR of 175+ for 15-20mins sucks...but it gets you to the top without walking. Either I like pain, or my Mom dropped me on my head when I was a kid?

But...all you "All-Mtn" extra rad people like to pedal, so I'm sure this we be a welcomed experience.

Keep er' pinned.
Qn'r Wink

Posted: Oct 1, 2007 at 14:13 Quote
Hey Quinner, where are these trails in Canmore? Are they off the left hand side of Spray Lake Rd as you are heading up towards Goat Creek? I think I've seen a few riders suddenly disappear when we were climbing the road but didn't really know where they went. Cheers,

Posted: Oct 2, 2007 at 6:27 Quote
Yep, you'd be correct! Reclaimer, Riders of Rohan (Pipeline) all run of the Spray Lakes Road. Get out and enjoy.

Posted: Oct 6, 2007 at 18:16 Quote
Quiner:
Where do you access the Ridgeline trail? Where's the trail head? Is it officially open now?

Thanks.

Posted: Oct 6, 2007 at 20:14 Quote
Howdy Folks,

It's been a while. It feels weird in here with the new digs.

So, how much did it snow out there? I'm needing an epic tomorrow and am hoping to be heading somewhere in the morning. How many cheeseburgers would I need to do JP/Cox hill?

Posted: Oct 6, 2007 at 20:21 Quote
Moose had anywhere from 4 inches to nearly a foot on Special K today. Don't know about the west of the road. Anything out there with an eastern exposure will prolly be unrideable for at least a few days.

Posted: Oct 9, 2007 at 16:13 Quote
Hi folks!

Have any of you cross country guys posted any videos? I'd love to see some of the local riding from 07, even if it's just bits and pieces on a cheap camera. I'm also really interested in seeing something from some of the more all mountain folks doing some of the Moose mountain 'newer' trails.

I was taking advantage of Pink Bike's new video section, and uploaded a couple of vids. My riding season was limited, and mostly without a working camera, so it's older stuff that some of you may have seen before. http://vonrock.pinkbike.com/channel/TwoStinks/

I'll put a couple more up in a day or so. Post 'em if you got 'em.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014626
Mobile Version of Website