Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Sep 7, 2010 at 7:27 Quote
jamezyo wrote:
jONAH96 wrote:
then... do you know the story behind it's name? Just like seeing vids, there's nothing like trail stories. (Just tryin to get the down-lo. I have family out by Turner Valley & pass through often.)
jean guy was named by jerome in honor of his friend JEAN GUY the on the rocks part your gona have to ride it to figure that one out for your self. you will have a great time doin so!!!!!!!

Actually Jean-Guy is in honor of 2 people, one is Jean-Guy Boux. Those who know him, know how fast and smooth and big Jean-Guy can send it. The other person is my best friend who has been nicknamed Jean-Guy, even though he ain't french. The story behind it is silly.

For those who have ridden in Rossland, there is a trail that was called whiskey, then they added a section and called it Whiskey on the rocks. So after they shut down the initial entrance of Jean-Guy, I set about finding another entrance. After finding it, I decided to call it Jean-Guy on the Rocks cause there is a sh*t load of them in the newer version.

Posted: Sep 7, 2010 at 10:46 Quote
Thanks Folks! I don't know if it's my age but I find I reflect on trails, their builders, etc.

Jerome, mind if I drop you a pm in a couple of weeks for: building/maintaining/learning & maybe a bit of riding? (I'm an older boy that's just getting back into it. (I dropped biking after bmx.)

Jamesyo, your spot on man. I LOVE THE ROCKS! (and roots) I think I have played the T-W vid 20-30 times over the past 3 days. It looks killer!

Sorry T-Dubya, didn't realize when you hit the Trails Button that it brings up a general explanation page. (I was just hitting each trail specifically.) Jon.

Posted: Sep 7, 2010 at 11:22 Quote
pinkrobe wrote:
SJdude wrote:
Anybody up for a trail build to make JP Cox a loop? This fall/winter maybe?
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b85/cool_dude100/popcorn.gif

all righty then, lets pull out the slide rule and do some quick calculations. Geek

A trail paralleling the road from Dawson to Summit will be about 15,000m. A fit trail worker having a good day can rough cut about 10m/hr, or about 100m/day if they are really working hard. That's 150 man days to rough cut the trail.

So, With 5 hardworking fulltime people, good weather, no injuries, cooperative terrain, and weekends off, it will take about 6 weeks to establish a raw trail from Dawson to Summit. Eek

If you're looking for better trail quality than rough cut, you can hire a 2 man pro crew with a mini excavator, and they'll also cut about 500m/day. Tough to get those guys in without some sort of authorization from SRD.

OR, you can get a handfull of guys on dirt bikes and quads to hammer in a line over the weekend Wink

Posted: Sep 7, 2010 at 15:02 Quote
Rode the Highline trail yesterday from the top of Rider's of Rohan east to 3 Sisters Parkway. It was in awesome condition. Just a little moist, and no snow at all.

Posted: Sep 7, 2010 at 15:28 Quote
all righty then, lets pull out the slide rule and do some quick calculations. Geek

A trail paralleling the road from Dawson to Summit will be about 15,000m. A fit trail worker having a good day can rough cut about 10m/hr, or about 100m/day if they are really working hard. That's 150 man days to rough cut the trail.

So, With 5 hardworking fulltime people, good weather, no injuries, cooperative terrain, and weekends off, it will take about 6 weeks to establish a raw trail from Dawson to Summit. Eek

If you're looking for better trail quality than rough cut, you can hire a 2 man pro crew with a mini excavator, and they'll also cut about 500m/day. Tough to get those guys in without some sort of authorization from SRD.

OR, you can get a handfull of guys on dirt bikes and quads to hammer in a line over the weekend Wink [/Quote]

ok
how about all the way to canyon creek? prob 4km xtra.
jumpingpound is not a loop without the steep climb. it wouldve only been called jumping ridge, cuz all the pounding comes in the 5k rock garden after the switchbacks.
so 2o k of trail 20000m so 200 man days.
hey jon! after the 80 the markers should go up!
and when the logging starts happening over there, we will like not having to ride that rd.
Another good plan would b to connect Powderface Creek to Canyon Creek.
There is a trail there already but its a relic.
Then after that Ford Creek repair?!
someone is going to die on that road one day
Ive had a few close calls myself with hillbillies in pickups doin mach 1
Im sure SRD would probably approve moving us off the road.

Posted: Sep 7, 2010 at 16:03 Quote
ibisrox wrote:

So if there are 200 people out, it could be done in a day! Wink

Posted: Sep 7, 2010 at 18:22 Quote
never wrote:
ibisrox wrote:

Or in 2 hours with 2000 people!

Posted: Sep 7, 2010 at 19:09 Quote
dracones wrote:
never wrote:
ibisrox wrote:

Or in 2 hours with 2000 people!
A couple of years ago, 800+ people showed up for a trail day near Boulder. I was part of a small group farther south, where only about 250 of us were working. It can be done.

Posted: Sep 7, 2010 at 19:16 Quote
jONAH96 wrote:
Thanks Folks! I don't know if it's my age but I find I reflect on trails, their builders, etc.

Jerome, mind if I drop you a pm in a couple of weeks for: building/maintaining/learning & maybe a bit of riding? (I'm an older boy that's just getting back into it. (I dropped biking after bmx.)

Jamesyo, your spot on man. I LOVE THE ROCKS! (and roots) I think I have played the T-W vid 20-30 times over the past 3 days. It looks killer!witch tdub vid... dropins freeride coilition.thats my fav i watched it countless times, ive since cleand all the stunts on it... i think with help from that vid. sick vid..

Sorry T-Dubya, didn't realize when you hit the Trails Button that it brings up a general explanation page. (I was just hitting each trail specifically.) Jon.

Posted: Sep 8, 2010 at 8:19 Quote
elbow loop, sep. 7

skipped out of work to go see the pass. about 3-4" of snow covering the trail at the pass but clear everywhere else. the real problem was the wet sand, which was hard to ride through, and the pouring rain, which was refreshing at first, followed by irritating followed by terrible.
also it was VERY cold at the top of the pass, so any new rain is going to be snow and hang around for a while Frown

Posted: Sep 8, 2010 at 10:39 Quote
jamezyo wrote:
witch tdub vid... dropins freeride coilition.thats my fav i watched it countless times, ive since cleand all the stunts on it... i think with help from that vid. sick vid..
You know jamezyo I don't know. I saw it on PB. Can't remember the start but 1/3 or 1/2 way in the trail switched to, what looked like a rock filled/dried up creek or valley that just did not end. After watching that (endlessly) you can just call me Smilin' Bob!

Posted: Sep 8, 2010 at 15:36 Quote
jONAH96 wrote:

Jamesyo, your spot on man. I LOVE THE ROCKS! (and roots) I think I have played the T-W vid 20-30 times over the past 3 days. It looks killer!

Jonah - there's a trailday this Saturday at Moose - meeting 10:30AM at Ing's Mine Parking lot. The perfect opportunity if you're looking to build/maintain/learn & ride afterwards.

More details on www.MMBTS.com

Posted: Sep 8, 2010 at 18:15 Quote
Thanks. Unfortunately these next 2 weekends are out. (Due to work.) I chatted with Jerome and we're trying to meet up sometime the week of the 20th. (That's when I should be in Calgary.)

Thanks Everyone for being hella cool! Just trying to spread some of the inter-provincial love; so we can do the same, when you Folks make it out here to ride. I really can't believe how much riding there is out here besides the North Shore & the Resorts.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008530
Mobile Version of Website