Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Jul 10, 2014 at 8:12 Quote
fargle wrote:
so, I'm riding down Special K and about half way down I come across - a new trail, with big swooping bermy corners. Obviously still under construction. WTF? Not that I'm complaining. Thank you, trail fairies.

I found the top bit of K fairly rowdy with new erosion but fun. Speaking of trail fairies, thanks as well for the work on the berms lower down, trail was running brilliantly.

Many trail fairies have been talked into helping out with that. 70m to go and the section will be complete.

Posted: Jul 10, 2014 at 11:06 Quote
Rode 5th Horseman for the first time last night. Fun trail, kinda like C-ya but longer and steeper. Trail was in fine condition, not sure a puddle could accumulate on that grade!
About half way down on a rare level straight section, a young black bear and I made eye contact. I yelled a greeting but the magic moment was broken by him whirling around and taking off. I must say that the following steep sections were made slightly harder by trying to also keep an eye out for team bruin.
I didn't explain to my Girlfriend why I was talking so much and so loudly until we got to the bottom.

Posted: Jul 10, 2014 at 13:08 Quote
Hastings wrote:
Rode 5th Horseman for the first time last night. Fun trail, kinda like C-ya but longer and steeper. Trail was in fine condition, not sure a puddle could accumulate on that grade!
About half way down on a rare level straight section, a young black bear and I made eye contact. I yelled a greeting but the magic moment was broken by him whirling around and taking off. I must say that the following steep sections were made slightly harder by trying to also keep an eye out for team bruin.
I didn't explain to my Girlfriend why I was talking so much and so loudly until we got to the bottom.

5th horseman? wheres that?

Posted: Jul 10, 2014 at 14:24 Quote
Nshore3 wrote:
Hastings wrote:

Cypress Mountain in West Vancouver. Wink

There is a horseman-named trail in K-country as well but I'll refrain from posting directions to the trailhead as I'm not sure if its supposed to be common knowledge. Meet up with some of the guys from MMBTS and I'm pretty sure someone could point you in the right direction...

Posted: Jul 10, 2014 at 14:53 Quote
Or definitely dont check Strava.

Posted: Jul 10, 2014 at 21:16 Quote
Had a great ride around "the witch" on Wednesday with 99.9% dry conditions. What was not so great- discovering today that my camera went AWOL somewhere around the loop. This afternoon I revisited the most likely places for it to get loose- the tops of Sugar Mama and Snagmore, 2 places where I had my pack off briefly, but no luck.Frown .
Not a huge loss really as it was an inexpensive 7 year old sub-compact , and I own several other much better cameras, but...
On my search today I accessed the trails from Allen Bill, and was pleased to find some further improvements to Elbow ski trail, which is now completely dry up to the Sugar / Snagmore junction.
Between Wednesday eve and Thursday afternoon someone took care of the one deadfall on the south side of Snagmore tup .
One pair of downed trees (chainsaw worthy) remains on the N side of Snagmore.

Posted: Jul 10, 2014 at 21:42 Quote
Parabellum wrote:
Nshore3 wrote:
Hastings wrote:

Cypress Mountain in West Vancouver. Wink

There is a horseman-named trail in K-country as well but I'll refrain from posting directions to the trailhead as I'm not sure if its supposed to be common knowledge. Meet up with some of the guys from MMBTS and I'm pretty sure someone could point you in the right direction...

If it's the trail I'm thinking about, I had heard rumours here so thought I'd check it out last season. It was easy enough to find, with a bit of attentiveness looking for signs of human activity, which were confirmed by all those wands with green flagging winding through the woods Big Grin .
So if the builders want to keep it a secret- do a better job of hiding it. Razz .
FWIW as a mostly XC guy it was not really my cup of tea- too much riding the brakes due to steepness (or lack of skills lol )
Not my place though to reveal it here.

Posted: Jul 13, 2014 at 14:47 Quote
PV-Razor's-Jewel today. Actually getting dusty in spots. We saw a grizzly on the way up Quaite, above the campground. It took off into the bush but anyone heading there tomorrow might want to keep that in mind.

Posted: Jul 14, 2014 at 9:20 Quote
If you have had your fill of mini donuts and pancakes, how about meeting your riding buddies and giving a little back to the trails.

Tuesday July 15 @ 7:00 pm, meet at Ing's Mine Parking lot for a couple of hours of work. Anyone can help out, no experience necessary. We provide plenty of jobs, tools, you just bring your community spirit.

The Next Trail Evening is on August 20th.

Posted: Jul 14, 2014 at 13:49 Quote
Made my trip out and visited little elbow, MM, WBC, and PL park the last week. Great conditions and hot. Tom snow has its boggy spots but I didn't get my feet wet transversing around them.

I also met two groups doing the Mbike ride to Mexico through Elk Pass. One on a fatbike. Smile

Anybody know how far one can get in on Big Elbow trail? I made it 6 km without any significant issue and had to turn back (it was a late day quick jaunt).

Posted: Jul 14, 2014 at 21:15 Quote
MooseMountain wrote:
If you have had your fill of mini donuts and pancakes, how about meeting your riding buddies and giving a little back to the trails.

Tuesday July 15 @ 7:00 pm, meet at Ing's Mine Parking lot for a couple of hours of work. Anyone can help out, no experience necessary. We provide plenty of jobs, tools, you just bring your community spirit.

The Next Trail Evening is on August 20th.

I could come out, although I need a ride!

Posted: Jul 14, 2014 at 22:36 Quote
How's canmore been?

A little survey about hiking (not biking) in the Calgary area! Some people are trying to figure out what makes people get off their bikes and pound some steps out

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RXKZ6YL

Participants greatly appreciated and given extra special good juju vibes for their next ride.

Posted: Jul 15, 2014 at 5:33 Quote
kwtoxman wrote:
Made my trip out and visited little elbow, MM, WBC, and PL park the last week. Great conditions and hot. Tom snow has its boggy spots but I didn't get my feet wet transversing around them.

I also met two groups doing the Mbike ride to Mexico through Elk Pass. One on a fatbike. Smile

Anybody know how far one can get in on Big Elbow trail? I made it 6 km without any significant issue and had to turn back (it was a late day quick jaunt).

We rode Little Elbow just past the junction to Elbow Lake and its a mess. We actually lost the trail at a really bad wash out where the river had been flowing down the trail a few K into the Big Elbow return trail and decided to turn around. Every single low point in the trail has been obliterated. Any downhill finishes with a hike across a boulder and carnage field. Some had 10' deep washouts and downed trees, others were a few feet wide and not too bad. Several washouts were over a hundred metres wide.

It took us 2 hours to the top of the pass, and an hour trying to rout find at the last washout. Then we had to climb back to the top of the pass and do it all over again on the way back. Took around 5 hours. In the end we only got 24 k into the loop ccw.

I want to go back and see if the first 4 k of Big Elbow exists anymore to access Forgetmenot Mountain Rounder. Anyone else tried?

Posted: Jul 15, 2014 at 8:22 Quote
acdownhill wrote:
I could come out, although I need a ride!

If you're on Twitter tweet @mmbtsinfo and maybe someone will catch it.

Razor's Edge was in great shape last night.

Posted: Jul 15, 2014 at 8:38 Quote
hand surgery... that's my only reason for not being on a bike for the next few weeks, I had the surgery to make my hands better for biking... that's how rad biking is.. hiking , meh , okay but biking ..AWESOME!!

slipperypete wrote:
How's canmore been?

A little survey about hiking (not biking) in the Calgary area! Some people are trying to figure out what makes people get off their bikes and pound some steps out

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/RXKZ6YL

Participants greatly appreciated and given extra special good juju vibes for their next ride.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007371
Mobile Version of Website