Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Nov 3, 2014 at 7:07 Quote
Dolla-Bill wrote:
jitenshakun wrote:
Moose has a wee bit too much snow for entirely sensible biking. However, it is in good shape for senseless fun Razz

May have seemed senseless, but all smiles and fun nonetheless!!

Exactly! And besides being a lot of fun, getting fat in the winter will keep you from getting fat. I guess there is the exercise aspect of biking to think about sensibly in addition to the fun and keeping your climbing legs out of hibernation.

Posted: Nov 3, 2014 at 8:51 Quote
Tis the season, and I am once again considering getting fat. New offerings from Norco arent making it any easier.

Anyone run studded fat tires? Are the 5" studded Dillingers from 45 North really $250 / tire?

Considering the melt / thaw / traffic we get around here, it can certainly get skating rink icy. If I'm going to go fat, I dont want to be standing in my garage debating whether to take the fatty or the studded trailbike.

Maybe homemade studded 4" Vee, for $120 a set + a few hours time.

O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2014 at 10:32 Quote
lazyname wrote:
Tis the season, and I am once again considering getting fat. New offerings from Norco arent making it any easier.

Anyone run studded fat tires? Are the 5" studded Dillingers from 45 North really $250 / tire?

Considering the melt / thaw / traffic we get around here, it can certainly get skating rink icy. If I'm going to go fat, I dont want to be standing in my garage debating whether to take the fatty or the studded trailbike.

After a couple of spectacular and painful wipeouts due to ice I took my stock Nates and put studs in them. 100% worth it and it extended my fat bike season later with the freeze/thaw spring cycle. Was looking for the studded Dillinger but it was sold out everywhere last winter and they're $$$!

Posted: Nov 3, 2014 at 11:00 Quote
BNJ99 wrote:
lazyname wrote:

After a couple of spectacular and painful wipeouts due to ice I took my stock Nates and put studs in them. 100% worth it and it extended my fat bike season later with the freeze/thaw spring cycle. Was looking for the studded Dillinger but it was sold out everywhere last winter and they're $$$!

Curious what you used to stud up your Vees? What did you use?

O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2014 at 11:17 Quote
Came across these recently.
Haven't tried them though.

http://www.gripstuds.com/Bicycle.php

Posted: Nov 3, 2014 at 12:59 Quote
aireeek wrote:
BNJ99 wrote:
lazyname wrote:

Curious what you used to stud up your Vees? What did you use?

I dont have a fatty. I've done 3 different tires (2.1-2.5"), with various length screws. Usually drill a pilot hole through the knob, then drill the screw length to leave 2-3mm. Healthy does of duct tape inside the tire.

They work great, just takes lots of time, and probably weight to put enough screws in. I went back and doubled down on the screw count on 1 of them.

I've been lucky not to faceplant onto the tire, but even changing tires, moving the bike etc. it takes some extra care to not be putting holes in your hands, tears in your clothes, or scratches on your other other bikes / car.

Posted: Nov 3, 2014 at 13:05 Quote
aka-bigsteve wrote:

$$!! So $120 for 4" Vee's from pricepoint and $300 for studs, plus you get to install 300 studs. I'd be interested if they were 10% the price.

O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2014 at 13:23 Quote
lazyname wrote:
aka-bigsteve wrote:

$$!! So $120 for 4" Vee's from pricepoint and $300 for studs, plus you get to install 300 studs. I'd be interested if they were 10% the price.

That's what I used. Got 2 packs of 100. Used about 150-160 of them. 90 in the back tire 65 or so in the front. Still cheaper than a set of new dillingers only because I already had the tires.

Posted: Nov 3, 2014 at 13:48 Quote
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYOO26FAT/on-one-floater-fat-tyre

These are a good deal, don't think they are making spiked yet though but I am sure that will be coming soon. Support the companies that will drive down the pricesGeek

Posted: Nov 3, 2014 at 20:11 Quote
Moonraker trails were great today, and Mount 7 all the way to the top if you're itching to ride dry dirt.

Posted: Nov 3, 2014 at 22:12 Quote
this is good to know, im there tomorrow. Salute

Posted: Nov 4, 2014 at 8:22 Quote
Fernie is still fantastic for any folks that migrate south for the extended brown pow season.

Posted: Nov 4, 2014 at 12:50 Quote
What are the trails in Canmore like atm? Was canmore hit by snow storm?

O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2014 at 12:53 Quote
BNJ99 wrote:
lazyname wrote:

I studded Bud/Lous with grip studs last year and love it. Studs definitely give you more confidence on dh. The Bud/Lous are great tires but feel like overkill sometimes. 4" is probably the best all-around width imho.

O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2014 at 14:43 Quote
RestlessOblivion wrote:
What are the trails in Canmore like atm? Was canmore hit by snow storm?

Should be damp but GTG as Canmore had less snow than Calgary or Bragg Creek. Here is a link to the webcams: http://skierbob.ca/web-cams/

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018763
Mobile Version of Website