Trail Conditions for Calgarians

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trail Conditions for Calgarians
Posted: Nov 4, 2014 at 16:19 Quote
Heading to Cranbrook in 2 weeks. Might be trying to twist a beginner's arm into going for a ride or 2 if weather is decent.

Any thoughts on Community Forest trails / eager hills? Looks like it'd be good for shoulder season riding.

Posted: Nov 4, 2014 at 17:53 Quote
Minnewanka was good today for a dry and decent XC loop, my first time on it, I'll be saving it for times like this when desperate to get a ride in. Most of Canmore looked like its G2G and I suspect Prospectors as well.

Posted: Nov 4, 2014 at 17:59 Quote
brucie1 wrote:
RestlessOblivion wrote:
What are the trails in Canmore like atm? Was canmore hit by snow storm?

Should be damp but GTG as Canmore had less snow than Calgary or Bragg Creek. Here is a link to the webcams: http://skierbob.ca/web-cams/

It's dry on the North side of the valley, bring lights if you are going after 5 pm

Posted: Nov 5, 2014 at 7:32 Quote
lazyname wrote:
Heading to Cranbrook in 2 weeks. Might be trying to twist a beginner's arm into going for a ride or 2 if weather is decent.

Any thoughts on Community Forest trails / eager hills? Looks like it'd be good for shoulder season riding.

Great place for a beginner. Lots of easier trails, but also has some more challenging runs. Don't believe all the "black diamond" signage. Some of those runs are no trickier than a green run. (this is based on last fall, which was when I rode out there)

Have a great time!

-Dale

Posted: Nov 5, 2014 at 12:56 Quote
Does anyone know if the Snakes and Ladders trail is still going to be completed ?
Also,why is Sugar Mama still not a recognized trail?. Its existance is not exactly a secret.

Posted: Nov 5, 2014 at 14:09 Quote
If I remember correctly, SRD's ecologist that reviewed all the trail proposals 3-4 years ago rejected Sugar Mama because of its location and its part in the overall density of new trails in the area. Kinda late on that one since Sugar Mama was already "built".

Posted: Nov 5, 2014 at 15:10 Quote
Anybody up for a hike tomorrow? I need a partner or two to do some trail scouting out at Moose. Send me a pm if you can hike Thursday.

Posted: Nov 5, 2014 at 17:42 Quote
chrissa wrote:
If I remember correctly, SRD's ecologist that reviewed all the trail proposals 3-4 years ago rejected Sugar Mama because of its location and its part in the overall density of new trails in the area. Kinda late on that one since Sugar Mama was already "built".

I always find it a tad unbelievable that this is an issue in an area full of clear cuts and active logging. New trails seem to come under a lot of scrutiny vs. the logging plans which seem to change on teh whims of SLS.

tourendo wrote:
Does anyone know if the Snakes and Ladders trail is still going to be completed ?

This trail looked like it would have created some great loop opportunities with Ridgeback. I though I recall someone posting that this was delayed until the logging was done or sorted out. I can understand that the SRD doesn't want to ruin the environment by adding another trail in a sensitive area until after the fire smarting/pine beetle buffers/clear cuts are done.

I thought about riding down this to see how far it went then was distracted by the prospect of a rip down Sugar Mama and that was that. Does anyone know how far this goes before it stops (which is my assumption).

Posted: Nov 5, 2014 at 18:31 Quote
I did it last year but didnt revisit this year. It bombs straight down to the creek @ 20%. I followed some faint cattle trails and was pretty close to connecting to bobcat, but turned around and came back.

Bobcats existence has me riding Special K more often. From station flats (sulpher, pneuma special k, bobcat up, back down bobcat or down sugar momma). Or from West Bragg up moosepackers, special k, bobcat, strange brew.

Its nice to get two good descents in.

Posted: Nov 6, 2014 at 6:34 Quote
Any updates on West Bragg or Bow Valley conditions? Are trails ridable or is it still a mucky mess out there?

Was hoping to get a ride in today.

Posted: Nov 6, 2014 at 7:25 Quote
Looks like a small bit of coverage up top, but I'm sure south facing aspects could be interesting (read: Wet). I'm heading out, probably start out at west bragg and then head up to moose packers. Here's hoping the trails are staying clean!

Posted: Nov 6, 2014 at 8:01 Quote
lazyname wrote:
I did it last year but didnt revisit this year. It bombs straight down to the creek @ 20%. I followed some faint cattle trails and was pretty close to connecting to bobcat, but turned around and came back.

Bobcats existence has me riding Special K more often. From station flats (sulpher, pneuma special k, bobcat up, back down bobcat or down sugar momma). Or from West Bragg up moosepackers, special k, bobcat, strange brew.

Its nice to get two good descents in.

Agreed, I use Bobcat mostly as an easy uphill return on longer loops taking in both WB and Moose.
Don't know what the plan is for snakes and ladders but I doubt that it will follow the existing line.I rode the original trail known as House of Pain maybe 4-5 years ago. It plunged from ranger down to the creek, then muddled around a bit in the drainage before climbing steeply up the other side to join ridgeback 3 just south of the highpoint.

Posted: Nov 6, 2014 at 13:59 Quote
Bragging Rights and Merlin are pretty gtg for mountain biking with Long Distance a little too muddy for me. I'd assume everything on the otherside is fatbikes fun.

Is Pnuema a mess this time of year?

Posted: Nov 6, 2014 at 15:35 Quote
Benchlands was primo this afternoon.

Posted: Nov 6, 2014 at 17:05 Quote
prospector primo too

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009800
Mobile Version of Website