High Pivot Hellscape

Previous Page | Next Page
O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2023 at 2:20 Quote
Hey you beautiful people!

I'm high pivot curious and have been since the first Forbidden Druid came out. I just watched Lewis Buchanans new video on the Trek Slash ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idjOvULJKGw ) and boy would I be dissapointed if that was me... So I thought I would ask here and gain some internett wisdom.

I want to hear those of you THAT OWN OR HAVE OWNED a modern high pivot enduro bike. Is it a chore? Is it like having a high maintenance girlfriend? What is it like to actually own, work on and run one of these bikes as your daily driver over an extended period of time? I don't care if your bike is a Forbidden, Norco, Deviate, Kavenz, GT, Cannondale, Trek, Devinci or whatever. I want to hear the good, the bad and the ugly.

Posted: Oct 3, 2023 at 9:10 Quote
I started watching that but got bored - what’s the failure - just the chain falling off - or something more catastrophic?

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 3, 2023 at 14:53 Quote
I've owned a Kavenz for 18 months and would buy one again. Before that I was riding a Stumpjumper Evo.

I have never dropped a chain on my Kavenz in the time I've owned it. The Kavenz's idler wheel uses narrow wide teeth and has a chain guide so that probably helps. The Slash has very small teeth on the idler wheel and it doesn't look like narrow-wide to me. There are a lot of other variables though so it's hard to say what ultimately contributed to Lewis' problems.

The Kavenz is a very easy bike to live with. The only additional maintenance I do compared to my old bike is wipe off the idler wheel when I clean the drivetrain. This adds maybe a minute or two to my bike maintenance. That's it!

I will say, the Kavenz is probably one of the easier high pivot bikes to own due to the relatively simple design. There are no complex suspension linkages, shock tunnels, or difficult to reach areas. It's just a horst link with vertical shock and it works damn good.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.043472
Mobile Version of Website