wheelie, bunny hop, manual tips

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
wheelie, bunny hop, manual tips
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 13:06 Quote
i have been riding XC pretty hard, for most of my life, im not amazing or anything, but i have the skill to keep up pretty darn good. i just got the opportunity to buy a new bike, and after having riddin friends bikes i think im ready for the move, it is a norco rampage, i dont have it yet, i just switched riding styles, nmore freeride/shore stuff, as well as sdome XC. anyways i want to learn how to wheelie, bunny hop, and well after wheelie manual. but having been an XC rider for most of my life wheelies are not something i do all the time, i can get her up there but i cant keep it going, i have been practicing for a lil over 2 years now, and am NOT getting ANY better Frown im prolly doing something wrong that limits the ability of my wheelies, ANY suggestions would be amazing!!

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 18:12 Quote
well i can help you with the whellie and bunnyhop..... for the wheelie u should be gojng quiet slow ahve it in around gear 4...on front sprocket 1 or 2....then once going slow..very slow...im not kidding super slow....pullup and start to pedal..once pedaling lean backa bit..to help the front wheel stay up.....to keep itfr om flipping over....stop pedaling for half a second or a second. if it does go to flip...jump off the pedals.... and as for bunnyhopin. put both feet parallel....then push down on the front fork...and pull ur body towards the back of the bike this should make ur front wheel come up..once that is done throw ur body ffoward but do not flip over the handlebars Razz this will push down and will akke the back of your bike flip up....and balance.....once learned this..try the 180 degrees turn. thats what i am working on...once you learn how to do a standard bunnyhop..you can cahnge certain tings for ur style of riding that will amie u go higher or farther. good luck

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 18:14 Quote
Hard to explain, but the guy made it well, but the real thing is to pratice, find your point of balance ( not sur we can say that in english Razz ) and watch videos, best 2 things ! Cook

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 18:18 Quote
for manuals just lean back at a good speed and find your balance point and tap the rear brake when you go over too far its that simple

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 18:23 Quote
do you want to bunny hop or j hop because there is a BIG difference

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 18:34 Quote
just so you know, wheelies and manuals aren't really all that similar. they may look close to the same but they are way different. i'd say skip wheelies and go straight for manuals. they may be a little harder but look way sicker! with wheelies (sitting down) you are just using your legs to pedal to keep your front up. but with manuals (standing up) you are just positioning your body over your bike to keep it balanced (i.e. it pretty much looks like you are humping your bike [which isn't a bad thing if your bike is hot enough]Smile ) but just go to a parking lot and try to manual over one parking spot and once you got that, move on to two parking spots and so on.... keep practicing!

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 19:33 Quote
xxburton4lifexx wrote:
i dont know the diff btwn bunny hop and j hop..lol

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 19:40 Quote
livinontheline wrote:
xxburton4lifexx wrote:
bunny hop is where both of your tires leave the ground at the same time and a j hop is where you spring off the back tire (i.e. more air) bunny hops are for little kids.

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 20:35 Quote
willems wrote:
livinontheline wrote:
xxburton4lifexx wrote:
bunny hop is where both of your tires leave the ground at the same time and a j hop is where you spring off the back tire (i.e. more air) bunny hops are for little kids.
kk j-hop lol

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 at 21:46 Quote
manuals are really different from wheelies as someone said earlier. To do a manual, its just like finding a balancing point and maintaining it. if you tip over the back tap the brake, but what I've found useful when teaching people to manual is that when u need to pitch the bike back don't shift you body weight back as much as push down with your legs. It is hard to explain this but imagine like pushing the back wheel down and forward with your lower body rather than pulling up or down with your arms.

People refer to J hops and bunny hops these days so assuming your trying to learn J hops, practice this while not even on your bike. pull straight upwards on your handlebars then push the bars straight outwards at a 90 degree angle. If you practice this standing next to your bike you will more easily learn them on the bike.

Good luck.

Posted: Mar 19, 2008 at 18:54 Quote
midgetguy wrote:
manuals are really different from wheelies as someone said earlier. To do a manual, its just like finding a balancing point and maintaining it. if you tip over the back tap the brake, but what I've found useful when teaching people to manual is that when u need to pitch the bike back don't shift you body weight back as much as push down with your legs. It is hard to explain this but imagine like pushing the back wheel down and forward with your lower body rather than pulling up or down with your arms.

People refer to J hops and bunny hops these days so assuming your trying to learn J hops, practice this while not even on your bike. pull straight upwards on your handlebars then push the bars straight outwards at a 90 degree angle. If you practice this standing next to your bike you will more easily learn them on the bike.

Good luck.
do yuu have to be moving fast? or what lol

Posted: Mar 27, 2008 at 16:24 Quote
ive been practicing j hopping and wheelies for a while could not get off the ground, now im getting of the ground and clearing small objects (a 6x6 peice of wood lol) and anyways ive been doing this for about 2 weeks now and i cant seem to get higher than the block.., i tried to push myself and clear a small ditch just for the fun of it.. but cased it really bad fell over the back and pretty much went for a swim lol.. it was fun tho, but do yuu have any suggestions on how to get higher, i prolly just need to improve my form but in any case it is going pretty well. thanx any other tips would be amazing!

Posted: Mar 27, 2008 at 16:30 Quote
well bunny hop on a freeride bike is mad hard for me i clear fire hydrants with a bmx but i cant clear a 2x4 with my freeride bike but wheelies deffinatly try them going up hill first in like 4th gear maby third but thats all practice after that

Posted: Mar 28, 2008 at 13:31 Quote
if you are trying to hop on a full suspension you need to preload the suspension before pulling up. but as far as getting higher with j-hops, lift weights and practice. The vast majority of it is form, but there is a strength component involved.

Posted: Mar 30, 2008 at 14:23 Quote
haha sounds good.. if yuu know anyone with good tips tell em abou this thread too!!! kk we need as many tips as possible.. and thanx by the wayy all tips are helping so far..

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013944
Mobile Version of Website