wheelie, bunny hop, manual tips

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
wheelie, bunny hop, manual tips
Posted: May 14, 2008 at 9:07 Quote
Hey
I do my wheelies and manuals and hopson a hardtail specialized and for wheelies i go in 2nd sprocket on the front (32t) and 5 on the back about 16 t i get a fairly good run up standing up then pushon the pedals hard and pull up and sit down. This really works as my longest wheelie has clocked 1.12 miles Big Grin . and for manuals i pedal hard agen then pull up like a wheelie wait till im balanced and stop pedaling whilst sitting down then use my back brake. As for j hops it just took time:P

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 13:05 Quote
I found the easiest way to learn bunnyhops/j-hops is to master doing endos without your brakes. To do this, while going slow, feet parallel (3 and/or 9 o'clock) lean forward, transferring your weight to your upper body, and push back on your pedals with your feet. really concentrate on weight transfer and pushing back with your feet, not trying to pull up on the pedals but pushing back. do this a lot. till it becomes as natural as pulling up your front end for a wheelie.
slowly try to combine the two. pull your bike up for a wheelie, and as the wheelie peaks, push back on your pedals and bring your weight forward.
hope this helps.

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 13:09 Quote
ferraridude348 wrote:
Hey
I do my wheelies and manuals and hopson a hardtail specialized and for wheelies i go in 2nd sprocket on the front (32t) and 5 on the back about 16 t i get a fairly good run up standing up then pushon the pedals hard and pull up and sit down. This really works as my longest wheelie has clocked 1.12 miles Big Grin . and for manuals i pedal hard agen then pull up like a wheelie wait till im balanced and stop pedaling whilst sitting down then use my back brake. As for j hops it just took time:P

you should learn to manual while standing up, it looks so much better

Posted: May 14, 2008 at 17:15 Quote
well i can help with the j-hop
i think its more of a bar hump motion the first thing your going to want to do is pull your bars up to you waist the more you pull up the higher you go. once you are in the bar hump position you want to push the bars forward and tuck the seat up in between your legs there you go!

im sure that was pretty bad but i triedSmile

Posted: Aug 29, 2008 at 22:22 Quote
well i'm pritty good at j-hops but i have a single speed kona/hardtail and i jsut cant wheelie i get started but once i start to get up i feel like i'm guna fall back or i get going then i have to peedle faster and faster till i cant peedle any quicker and it last like 3 seconds ... any suggestions for me ??

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 1:18 Quote
Don't know about manuals as I haven't got that far yet, but for the past couple of months I've been practicing wheelies on a daily basis to and from work.

When I started out I could hardly get the front wheel off the ground, then I went through a stage of constantly hopping off the back because I kept pulling up too hard, etc etc... anyway now I'm getting to a point where I'm no longer hopping off the back, I can kind of control it with the back brake and occasionally I do (what I think) is an ok wheelie.

I guess it's just practice, and mentally trying to work out what you're doing wrong and focus on improving that. I'm by no means good at wheelies, but hopefully with alot more practice one day I'll get the hang of it so I can hit a 1 mile wheelie Big Grin

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 1:22 Quote
Dlubke wrote:
well i'm pritty good at j-hops but i have a single speed kona/hardtail and i jsut cant wheelie i get started but once i start to get up i feel like i'm guna fall back or i get going then i have to peedle faster and faster till i cant peedle any quicker and it last like 3 seconds ... any suggestions for me ??

Doesn't sound like you're finding your balance point, try leaning back a tiny bit more, and keep a finger over your rear brake just in case you lean too far back Wink

Once you find your balance point pedaling should just be the same a normal, and quite relaxed. Occasionally, if you find the front dropping just put in a slightly harder crank to lift it back up.

FL
Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 1:36 Quote
manuals are pretty easy if u just lift the front and lean back and a bit of help from the back brake Smile

FL
Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 1:40 Quote
sixtyten wrote:
Dlubke wrote:

Doesn't sound like you're finding your balance point, try leaning back a tiny bit more, and keep a finger over your rear brake just in case you lean too far back Wink

Once you find your balance point pedaling should just be the same a normal, and quite relaxed. Occasionally, if you find the front dropping just put in a slightly harder crank to lift it back up.

if your finding it hard 2 do wheelies for a long time because of your pedaling go slower, ive got a kona singlespeed hardtail aswell i go slow for wheelies and fast for manuals Wink

FL
Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 1:41 Quote
ferraridude348 wrote:
Hey

u cant manual u dont pedal 2 get the bike up

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 1:56 Quote
ferraridude348 wrote:
Hey

If your sitting down its not a manual its a coaster.

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 2:28 Quote
Why are you pedaling to get started in a manual? Suburbans are retarded easy to manual, that should help you.

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 3:08 Quote
I need to know a few things about the manual.
How fast should i be going when i pull up?
and how much do you have to pull your back brake for you're front to go down?

Posted: Aug 30, 2008 at 11:52 Quote
You can go as fast as you want, doesn't matter. Back brake you feather if you think you're going to die going downhill

Posted: Sep 15, 2008 at 12:25 Quote
Hmmm thanks guys on the tips i will try them and if it doesnt work after a few weeks i will have to get back on here and ask a few more Razz ...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014219
Mobile Version of Website