Fox DHX 5.0 Air or Coil

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Fox DHX 5.0 Air or Coil
Posted: Mar 19, 2008 at 12:36 Quote
sorry but mbuk reckons that the rp3 is more reliable,and they are still having issues with the dhxa reliability.

you trust everything you read in a magazine?? ha ha

the RP3 and DHX Air are very different shocks, and the RP3 isn't available in configurations to fit many freeride or downhill frames, and won't handle anything like the abuse

Posted: Mar 20, 2008 at 2:05 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
sorry but mbuk reckons that the rp3 is more reliable,and they are still having issues with the dhxa reliability.

you trust everything you read in a magazine?? ha ha

the RP3 and DHX Air are very different shocks, and the RP3 isn't available in configurations to fit many freeride or downhill frames, and won't handle anything like the abuse

well yes and no,with the advent of forums and the internet i read mbuk less and less,but at the same token you can't believe everything you read on forum's either.

what is evident is that air will never feel like a coil and and for me i just like coil better all round,and weight wise i aint that fussed.

but i suppose i should eat my own humble pie as i have only ridden one air shock and based most of my opinions on magazine's article's.

what does come of intrest to me though is the distinct lack of air shocks on dh bikes,where you would think that the extra weight savings would be unmeasurable,but even the pro's prefer coil even though they have full service facilities,worth thinking about in retrospect.

Posted: Mar 22, 2008 at 16:52 Quote
Except to a few select racers, a perfectly dialed DHX air will be entirely indiscernible to a DHX coil.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 9:01 Quote
I advise not getting the dhx air until fox has worked out all the problems. On mtbr, out of 52 reviews they have a 2.88/5 rating.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Rear_Shock/product_125339.shtml

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 9:06 Quote
It depends on what you want to do? If you want hard DH you want coil. If you want a shock good for climbing and FR get the air.

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 9:11 Quote
TRISTON123456789 wrote:
It depends on what you want to do? If you want hard DH you want coil. If you want a shock good for climbing and FR get the air.

actually, air shocks are very fun to ride dh on Smile and have u ever considered a vivid?

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 9:13 Quote
PNWrider wrote:
TRISTON123456789 wrote:

actually, air shocks are very fun to ride dh on Smile

Not really they kind of suck for dh turst me i have owned both

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 9:13 Quote
what i mean is air suck for dh

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 9:14 Quote
TRISTON123456789 wrote:
PNWrider wrote:
TRISTON123456789 wrote:

actually, air shocks are very fun to ride dh on Smile

Not really they kind of suck for dh turst me i have owned both

oh, well i only rode it once in dh so you probly have a better say than me Smile but dude, look into a vivid

O+
Posted: Apr 1, 2008 at 8:39 Quote
can you set up an air shock to be super rebound-y?

Posted: Apr 1, 2008 at 12:44 Quote
truffles wrote:
can you set up an air shock to be super rebound-y?

Yes. You can set the rebound on my DHX air to be faster than anyone would ever need.

Posted: Jan 11, 2013 at 18:03 Quote
im going to trade my dhx5 spring for air ones... can you imagine... my bike has 180mm of travel and has a 240mm shock and i wheight about 65kg i had to get a 250ibs spring i had to buy a brand new one and i still had to wait 2 months for they get one for me... on air if im going to do dh i pump less air and fr more air... without the problem of get coils for it... or even replace them... now imagine if i had to get it all TI springs... i would have to spend a fortune... and air ones are lighter ... and i dont have to change springs every ride... and its still lighter... the reliability comon guys... are you that lazy? i service my bike myself... on that way i know for sure that everything was done properly...

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 13:00 Quote
Way to grave dig bro....

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 21:04 Quote
veet-88 wrote:
Way to grave dig bro....

Straight up.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014426
Mobile Version of Website