What chainsaw?

PB Forum :: Trail Building
What chainsaw?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 20, 2008 at 10:00 Quote
I am mainly looking at husqvarna chainsaws. Shall i look at the electric ones?

or shall i get the small gas one?

are there any expert builderss that can give me advice.
im not planning on taking any big trees down. like 30-40ft max

Posted: Mar 20, 2008 at 10:10 Quote
get a stihl they are the best saws made i have a small one and an o66 (bigger one) they are exelent have never had problems with them

Posted: Mar 20, 2008 at 10:13 Quote
ok great
thanks

any others i shoudl look into?

shall i bother with an electric one?

Posted: Mar 20, 2008 at 10:24 Quote
no electrics are usless
but stihl's in my mind are the best husqavarna's are also good
my dad is a logger and he has a bunch of friends qwho are fallers so he tells me alot

Posted: Mar 20, 2008 at 10:29 Quote
ok cool
im just looking for a smaller one.
how much am i looking to spend in canada( canadian money)
??

Posted: Mar 20, 2008 at 10:31 Quote
uh probly around 300-400 brand new

Posted: Mar 20, 2008 at 10:34 Quote
Height of the tree has nothing to do with how big of a chain saw you need, get a stihl or husky, with a 18 or 20 inch bar/blade, if your falling treets under 20inchs in diameter. 300-400 dollars new will get a decent recreational chainsaw.

Posted: Mar 20, 2008 at 10:42 Quote
See Husqvarnas have three distinct advantages. They are easier to maintain and find parts for. They are also a LOT easier to control for a given horsepower especially when ripping. Lastly they have significantly more power per weight and displacement across their entire range. I'll agree that finish quality is better on Stihls but Huskys just flat perform better. If you get a quality pro level saw instead of some homeowner crap they last for years. I have several Husqvarna saws. My go to saw which I HIGHLY recommend for an all around saw is the 346XP. GREAT SAW. Very versatile, dependable, and easy to control. It's also a good intermediate size. Look for an 18" bar stock and the ability to run a 20-22". If you go any smaller it will fall short when you start getting into ripping. I also have a 455 Rancher. This is a great saw if you want a little bigger displacement without spending too much. I find that my smaller saw actually rips a little smoother though. Then my REAL big saw is my 395XP. Again it's another GREAT saw but you don't need anything near that size. I also have a small 339XP that I use mostly for limbs but that's not what you need. I've had several Stihls and I keep going back to Husqvarna because I just love the power and feel.

Posted: Mar 20, 2008 at 11:59 Quote
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/tls/606708220.html

I'm no expert but it seems like a good deal.

Posted: Mar 20, 2008 at 12:02 Quote
kylechapman wrote:
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/tls/606708220.html

I'm no expert but it seems like a good deal.

That's retail on that saw. I would NEVER buy a saw used or otherwise not store bought new.

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 10:10 Quote
yeha most of those saws u see used have been ratbagged for a year then the guys try to sell them for a little less then what they payed

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 15:32 Quote
stihl is your best bet... i have a 036 60cc with a 18" bar, and its amazing...it will cost more then a husky but iv never had a problem with mine... the reason husky parts are cheaper is becasue they brake more often then stihl's. best thing would be a 036 stihl (same as mine) take good care of it and the most important part, sharpen your chain often, i do mine after every use... abit overkill but it cuts like butter

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 15:37 Quote
roy-boy23 wrote:
the reason husky parts are cheaper is becasue they brake more often then stihl's.

After owning 3 Stihls, 7 Huskys, and a Dolmar I can say with absolute certainty that you are wrong. The only thing Stihl has going for it is finish quality and low end power. The thing about Husky is that the vast majority of the ones out there are homeowner models because that's who they do most of their marketing too. The opposite is true of Stihl. If you get a pro level Husky then you are just flat wrong.

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 18:10 Quote
i have a stihl ms 170 that i use in the dakine builders pack for trail building and it works great! everyone will have a opinion. if you get a good saw and take care of it you can expect to have years of fun. i painted mine camo to not attract attention when building trails. it looks really cool. take a look at my album. thats my 2 cents. look in random goodness in my album, first picture. enjoy.

Posted: Mar 21, 2008 at 19:29 Quote
thats nice saw, not a big fan of camo tho.... plus some 1 will hear you b4 seeing you lol

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.047194
Mobile Version of Website