Why V-Brakes?

• Previous Page
Posted: Oct 8, 2007 at 20:27 Quote
Why do most trials riders prefer hydraulic V's instead of Hydraulic Disks?

Just Curious Smile

-RuSty

Posted: Oct 8, 2007 at 20:29 Quote
maybe the rotor getting in the way, of like hiiting it on a ledge or something? just a thought...Confused

Posted: Oct 8, 2007 at 20:31 Quote
rotor getting in the way, maybe some weight differences and i know for sure they grab more considering most trials riders take angle grinders to their rims or tar

Posted: Oct 8, 2007 at 20:33 Quote
hyddraulic disks blow out.... im not a big trials rider but thats what i would say is the resion... v brakes are more reliable and you can trust them when you are riding hard on your back wheel

Posted: Oct 8, 2007 at 20:42 Quote
V-brakes are the most powerful brakes for trials period.

discs are nice, but you can feel a lot of spoke flex and the don't have grab of a well set-up V.

Posted: Oct 8, 2007 at 20:49 Quote
sorry to jack the thread but, im getting into trials and building up a basic bike and for the rear, can a solid well tuned v brake get the job done?

O+
Posted: Oct 8, 2007 at 20:49 Quote
Disc brakes are stronger when used in a downhill type application, that is slowing the wheel down from speed, due to the physics involved in the leverage ratio. However, for trials riding, a good set of rim brakes (usually hydraulic) have far more holding power. This is important as trials bikes do not reach high speeds, but when the rider is balancing they must not slip. And, as was mentioned before, Rim brakes are not as likely to get totalled in a missed hop or bail.

Posted: Oct 8, 2007 at 20:53 Quote
i have heard the reason is(correct me if i am wrong), but with a disc brake your stopping is on the hub so if your doing all kinds of stalls and manuvers on your back wheel there can be alot of force. if theres to much force the brake may stop the hub but not the rim which would wreck the wheel. with v's all the stopping power is on the rim itself.

Posted: Oct 8, 2007 at 20:55 Quote
street55dirtjumper wrote:
sorry to jack the thread but, im getting into trials and building up a basic bike and for the rear, can a solid well tuned v brake get the job done?

anyone?

Posted: Oct 8, 2007 at 21:05 Quote

anyone?

Yes, but I would only recommend a very very good brake. Such as a high end avid or shimano. Splash out on Magura Hs-33s if they are in your budget. They are by far the best rim brakes.

On another note. Hope Makes a trials disc brake. By all accounts they are pretty good i hear...

Posted: Oct 8, 2007 at 21:06 Quote
konasarkprimo wrote:

anyone?

Yes, but I would only recommend a very very good brake. Such as a high end avid or shimano. Splash out on Magura Hs-33s if they are in your budget. They are by far the best rim brakes.

On another note. Hope Makes a trials disc brake. By all accounts they are pretty good i hear...

thanks for your time that was helpful

Posted: Oct 10, 2007 at 19:24 Quote
Hydraulic rim brakes are preferred because of a few reasons:
zero modulation- when tuned properly they are either on or off
no roll back- while balancing on the back wheel a disc break will occasionally allow you to roll back
inferior disc break technology until the last couple of years

At this point in time more and more trials companies are building bikes with disc f and r because of current break technology. However; nothing beats an HS33.

If you are going to use v-brakes, Avid Ultimate is the only way to go. Those with a solid brake booster and a good grind on your rim (with some plasmatic pads) and you will be good to go.

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 10:12 Quote
[Quoten]zero modulation- when tuned properly they are either on or off
[/Quoten]
That's not always a good thing, especially if you're one to do manuals.
bigquotes However; nothing beats an HS33.
An Echo brake will school an HS 33 ANY day. I've had both and the echo brake is far superior.

To the OP:
Disc brakes are not as often used for a few reasons:
1. They tend to slip backwards, or just not have the best hold. They modulate very well, but a strong lockup is more difficult to attain.
2. Rotors can get in the way, especially if you sidehop to the left, it only takes one little mistake, and you've got a badly bent rotor, which makes the brake not work properly or not work at all.
3. Disc brake mounts arn't nearly as strong. It's quite common for disc brake mounts to SNAP off when used for trials.

If you use a rim brake, the only worry you'd have is whether or not the rim is true. But it'll let you know when it isn't Smile

Also, Disc brakes can't really be tuned as much. If you use a rim brake, you can grind the rim, or put some tar on the rim to increase friction on the brake pads.

And to note, larger disc rotors= more power, because the brake would have greater leverage over the wheel. It's kind of like using a longer allen key to get a bolt really tight. A rim brake is near the outmost part of the wheel, so it would have the most leverage to keep the wheel locked.

Hope this has helped.

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 11:13 Quote
Basically said the same shit I did, you just needed to pound your chest a little. I get it. Well, much like the 5'4" guy in a lifted truck, you just keep pounding.

Bottom line: Get a rim brake.

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 18:40 Quote
my guess is that their lighter, or are more trustworthy so you don't have to worry about it giving out or something.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011520
Mobile Version of Website