Freecoaster - All You Need To Know **NEW**

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Freecoaster - All You Need To Know **NEW**
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 22, 2008 at 17:50 Quote
Freecoaster-

How they function

The typical free-coaster works off of a screw mechanism.

The driver will have a screw shape coming off of it into the hub. And the clutch will have it on the inside, so that when the driver is turned, the clutch will move in toward the diver.

But what if the clutch just moves forward with the driver(you might ask)? Well, that is the work of the resistance. In most coasters this resistance is created by a spring running along the axle. The spring will prevent the clutch from moving forward easily with the driver, so the threads on the driver will pull the clutch in toward itself.

As it moves toward the driver, ridges on the clutch will come into contact with the hub shell and turn it with the whole mechanism. The harder you crank down the more the clutch will push into the shell and pull it forward.

When you stop pedalling, the forward movement of the hub shell will push the clutch slightly back off of the driver threads and disengage the hub. In this way, the clutch never moves unless the driver moves, so the hub shell is free to move in either direction with out binding.

Slack

Slack is the rotational gap between the clutch being fully disengaged and fully engaged, measured in fractions of a turn either at the crank or rear sprocket. For example, a typical cassette might take up to a 1/20th of a revolution to engage, while a typical coaster might take 1/8th of a revolution.

Maintenance

Freecoasters NEED to be taken care of and taken care of properly if you fail to do this you will be out money and you have no one to blame but yourself.

Good Run Throughs Of How To Take Apart A Freecoaster

http://www.bmxdirect.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1692

http://www.khebikes.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=208&Itemid=48

Anymore questions? Post them below...

If you can't read or are just plain stupid, sit back and watch this(no its not a queen video)

[YT=https://youtube.com/watch?v=12I8iK12oqA]

Posted: Mar 22, 2008 at 18:23 Quote
nickwhite wrote:
You just wasted your time.

www.free-coaster.com

you just wasted your time...that went no wheres...

Posted: Mar 22, 2008 at 18:25 Quote
norcoman-1314 wrote:
nickwhite wrote:

www.free-coaster.com

Type it into your browser.

Posted: Mar 22, 2008 at 18:27 Quote
thats not on pinkbike so its not really a waste of time, im hoping with this there will be less threads in the future asking about freecoasters, if you have anything productive to add let me know now...

Posted: Mar 22, 2008 at 18:33 Quote
the vid gave me a good idea of the differnce

Posted: Mar 22, 2008 at 18:33 Quote
good thread..learned alot!

Posted: Mar 28, 2008 at 18:00 Quote
solid thread man. liked the video. really broke it down.

Posted: Mar 28, 2008 at 22:18 Quote
nickwhite wrote:
norcoman-1314 wrote:
nickwhite wrote:

www.free-coaster.com

Type it into your browser.

both places are pretty informative... so you guys can stop fighting little girls..

Posted: Mar 29, 2008 at 0:33 Quote
nice work...but like most threads dedicated to helping people out and stopping lots of useless threads...it probably wont stop a lot of people....making lots of threads makes noobs feel good about themselves i think....

Posted: Mar 29, 2008 at 0:41 Quote
drewfunk wrote:
....making lots of threads makes noobs feel good about themselves i think....

Cough pinkpeardrums cough cough...sorry

I'm sure this thread will help a bit, even if someone still makes a thread now we can just post a link to this one instead or just bitching at them. Atleast I learned a bit

Posted: Mar 29, 2008 at 6:10 Quote
jumpman2334 wrote:

both places are pretty informative... so you guys can stop fighting little girls..

i donno what you read but that wasn't fightinglol

anyway new section, How to Assemble your Freecoaster, let me know if im missing anything...

Posted: Mar 31, 2008 at 13:52 Quote
norcoman-1314 wrote:
thats not on pinkbike so its not really a waste of time, im hoping with this there will be less threads in the future asking about freecoasters, if you have anything productive to add let me know now...

Productive.... Nickwhite... in the same sentence? Never seen that before.

Posted: Mar 31, 2008 at 15:37 Quote
no need to say that...

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010807
Mobile Version of Website