Can I lower a Manitou Flick or Breakout to 100mm?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Can I lower a Manitou Flick or Breakout to 100mm?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 14:16 Quote
Hey, i am currently riding a specilized p. cromo and it has dirt jumper 4's on it. I am looking to buy a cheap fork that is better than what i have, and i found a manitou flick. can i lower these to 100mm for dirt jumping and street? And if so how much will it cost??

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 21:26 Quote
basicly with the flicks they havce an option to be lowered for light trail ridig and light purposes, well if you ride it hard in that setting guess what...it will stay like that.
I guess if you wanted to cheaply lower it that will do, but they do not fell very good at all.
basicly save up your money buy a newer fork, old parts have alot of fatigue and a high risks of cracks, especialy flicks

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 21:28 Quote
yes you can lower it. The person above me is COMPLETELY wrong. It can be done very well.

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 21:36 Quote
alright sick. so they can be lowerd to 100mm withought ruining it?

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 21:37 Quote
When did i say it couldent be done right?
i was just saying you can do it a really cheap way, you can also do it right, but for the amount it would cost and the trouble it takes to do it you might aswell buy a new fork since he doesent even own the flick yet.
buy a fork that is designed to be riden at 100mm

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 21:37 Quote
jordanmolby wrote:
alright sick. so they can be lowerd to 100mm withought ruining it?

Ruin it? It will make it much better.

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 21:38 Quote
brad-maxwell wrote:
i was just saying you can do it a really cheap way, you can also do it right, but for the amount it would cost and the trouble it takes to do it you might aswell buy a new fork since he doesent even own the flick yet.

The amount it cost to do it right. You mean like $30-40?

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 21:41 Quote
brad-maxwell wrote:

so basicly the flick isnt ment to be riddin at 100mm? if i lower the fork down to 100mm will that make it weaker?

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 21:42 Quote
jordanmolby wrote:
brad-maxwell wrote:

so basicly the flick isnt ment to be riddin at 100mm? if i lower the fork down to 100mm will that make it weaker?

He's wrong.

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 21:46 Quote
alright thats good to know. all i want is a fork that like, i wont be scared to ditch my bike in mid air and worry about how the bikes outcome will be once it hits the ground. if i bought a 400$ arglye or gold label i would be so scared to scrach it or something like that. thats why im going with something cheap that could be turned into a nice dirt jump fork for next to nothing.

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 21:47 Quote
wow, way to let another member express there opinion, seriously unless your an engineer for manitou dont flat out say im wrong.
the way i see it i fork that was desiged to be ridden at 130mm (i think thats the normal travel might be wrong) will ride as good at 100mm. In my opinion you are better off buying a fork that is meant for that travel.
I have seen more than enough forks get butchered by people cheaping out and lowering them instead of buying a proper fork.

and p.s. sure it might only be 40 to lower it but you do realise he dident buy this fork yet right?
why not take the money and put it towards a newer fork that is designed around 100mm.
Metal fatigue happens, no way around it unless it was never riden, your chances of it breaking are way higher than a new fork of a similiar quality.

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 21:48 Quote
a flick can be lowered no problem

just like most forks

it would be cheap too

O+
Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 21:48 Quote
Plus, the Sherman series is nice (in my opinion).

Posted: Mar 23, 2008 at 21:51 Quote
Hombre3000 wrote:
Plus, the Sherman series is nice (in my opinion).

'one of the better series manitou made

in my opinion the Travis is king of manitou(sorry dorado) but back on topic

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010785
Mobile Version of Website