Whistler: giant reign x zero or SC V10?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Whistler: giant reign x zero or SC V10?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 25, 2008 at 4:42 Quote
i have just got a 2008 giant reign x zero, and it kiks ass! i alos own a 2007 santa cruz v10, iv bin around the race circuit in the uk on it, i have been to les gets and morzine on it, i have raced in switzerland, iv raced 3 world cup courses etc. pics below etc/ problem is going to whistler and doing SGC and another 2 weeks riding and dont know what bike to take. I went to whistler 2 years ago on the v10 and it was ace... but i think in hindsight its myb too much of a DH killing machine for whistler... i rode every single trail on the mountain, all the bonyard stuff with exception to the road gap to step up and the last wodden drop that was there at the end. favourite trails were a-line/ dirtmerchant,/ crabapple hits, whistler dh, wish id ridden freight train more....

pics of both bikes below, sligtly old pic of v10 but its basically the same.

for the giant going to whistler id buy a new rear wheel : pro 2 on 729's, and but my v10 front wheel on there. 200mm rotors, 2.35 dual ply high roller, mrp/ e-13, iv got a diablous bar and stem lying around so wap that over... n i have a new thompson elite seatpost on the way... so that wud be the spec of it....

photo

photo

so what bike ?

Posted: Mar 25, 2008 at 4:59 Quote
also might put the hope mono 6 pots from the v10 on the giant...

Posted: Mar 25, 2008 at 5:06 Quote
I would take the V10 but i have not ridden either of the bikes before, bt the V10 looks way beefier and would keep going for the 2 weeksBig Grin

Posted: Mar 25, 2008 at 5:10 Quote
problem is it sort of.. sounds weird, but it makes riding too easy... everything is super smooth, nothing phases it. + seeing as its coil all the way its IMPOSSIBLE to use at the airdome.. you drop in and then the 18 inches of suspension basically stop you... the reign : just pump it up depending on what ur doing etc... juts by swapping the parts over i think it would be the best of both worlds..

Posted: Mar 25, 2008 at 5:14 Quote
Yeh suppose, the Giant would b easier to throw around and b awesome on A Line:P
These new all mountian bikes are all bein adapted to freeride and therefore are made really strong

Posted: Mar 25, 2008 at 5:21 Quote
thats the thinking anyway, and to be honest im fairly smooth on my bikes: i have broken 1 pedal, 1 bar, 2 mechs and a few spokes. nd thats over 4 years of riding and racing.

Posted: Mar 25, 2008 at 5:41 Quote
wow , SGC ! , Lucky guy.
anyhow , i think really depends on the ridding you want to do. Personally , i have been riding a Reign X1 since last year and cant say anything bad about it. The only thing that you should think about it the fork , nothing wrong whit Fox but i think it's a little to versatile for gravity/DH riding , basically , if you want to use the Reing X as a miniDH (like i do ) i would change the Fork before schreading in BC.(Totem or 66)

The SC is a super bike but it's really a race bike and i think it's at it's best in the rougher places in Europe , Whister is flowy , buffed super fun stuff.

Posted: Mar 25, 2008 at 5:56 Quote
welli have never heard any bad things about fox's, and never heard of broken fox's either.. i just like the fact its all air: so if im al-line i can pump everything up a tad, its not exactly rough and GNAAR is it.. totem is fair point: just i can justify spending the cash really. and yea the rougher tracks in europe tell me about it...

roughest track in the world, no question : is Laax: especially in summer after a race was held there the week before in the wet, so it was BRAKING bumps central. 5.10's made no difference, i didnt manage a run with out being rattled off Smile

in whistler tho, roughest is going to be... whistler dh? or one run off the garbo.. cant remmeber the name of it...

im just feeling the "freeride-ness" of the giant. i just think i might have more fun: i think the v10 will hold be back a little.

SGC for a week and then another 2 weeks Smile

Posted: Mar 25, 2008 at 8:55 Quote
also to spend all that money on a fork that I don't actually need seems a little silly. Anything else people would like to add?

Posted: Apr 18, 2008 at 19:51 Quote
sell your fox fork and then get like a totem or some thing

if i were you id also upgrade the rear shock to a dhx 5 coil or something

Posted: Apr 18, 2008 at 21:14 Quote
charlesdavid17 wrote:
in whistler tho, roughest is going to be... whistler dh? or one run off the garbo.. cant remmeber the name of it...

Captain Safety

I did that one in the rain on a hardtail DJ bike with a 4" front fork. f*ck Captain Safety.

O+
Posted: May 11, 2008 at 8:49 Quote
i got a 08 reign x1 and want to know if its possible to throw on a fox 40 and fox dhx 5.0 great bike just need a bit more travel

Posted: May 11, 2008 at 19:52 Quote
Dude, Reign X0 for sure. Thats what a lot of good riders ride nowadays up there. You can put pedal to the metal! The Reign X0 is plenty beefy I don't know what the other guys are saying. It WILL NOT break on you. But I agree on the Fox 36 Talas fork, could use a beefier fork upfront. If you're used to it then fine, should be good. Your bike is nice, I've seen much worse being ridden on the trails. Besides, its time to take the new bike to whistler. The V10 had its chance already. And have fun!! Big Grin

Posted: May 11, 2008 at 19:53 Quote
pbnjelly wrote:
i got a 08 reign x1 and want to know if its possible to throw on a fox 40 and fox dhx 5.0 great bike just need a bit more travel

Lol, almost like a Glory DH eh?

Posted: May 12, 2008 at 4:18 Quote
yea its all about the reign x.. making a few minor changes, and it will be pike park ready! Big Grin

and then its all about getting the shred on!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013822
Mobile Version of Website