STANS NO TUBES!! - does it acually work?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
STANS NO TUBES!! - does it acually work?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 10:57 Quote
Hey! Im thinking of investing in the 'Stans No Tubes!' sealant kit!

What I was wondering was, has anyone tried it? does the kit actually work? In terms of it succsessfully converting your tube wheelsets to tubeless.

And also, what are the weight saving benefits compared to a 'proper' tubeless wheelset and tyres?

Thanks!

Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 11:02 Quote
yh i am pretty sure it works but is it easy to fit

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 11:04 Quote
use the forum search function, there are already threads on this subject. Yes, the kit works. See other threads for more info.

Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 11:15 Quote
I've used it for 2 years. it works great. some tires are harder than others to get the bead to set on the rim. you definately need an air compressor that will deliver a large blast of air if your gonna do it your self. the only thing to keep in mind is you have to change the sealant every few months. i can'te give you exact weights but when i've gone tubeless on mine i drop a little more than a pound all together. the improved traction you'll get will amaze you, and you gain pedaling efficiency too. you'll be running lower tire pressure to, which makes the tire more supple. on loose terrain your tires will sound like they are flat, which is weird at first but its normal.

Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 11:33 Quote
cthorpe wrote:
I've used it for 2 years. it works great. some tires are harder than others to get the bead to set on the rim. you definately need an air compressor that will deliver a large blast of air if your gonna do it your self. the only thing to keep in mind is you have to change the sealant every few months. i can'te give you exact weights but when i've gone tubeless on mine i drop a little more than a pound all together. the improved traction you'll get will amaze you, and you gain pedaling efficiency too. you'll be running lower tire pressure to, which makes the tire more supple. on loose terrain your tires will sound like they are flat, which is weird at first but its normal.

Sweet! I want to invest in some now, I like the sound of the weight savings and traction too.

I have a compressor so it'll be no problem inflating them. Have you ever had any punctures?

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 11:49 Quote
Weight savings are negligible, if not non-existant. The rim strip in the kit will weight rougly the same as a tube, not to mention the sealant added to the tire. The main benefits of the system is the ability to run lower pressures with less risk of getting flats, and getting less flats overall.

Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 12:58 Quote
huckoveraduck wrote:
cthorpe wrote:

Sweet! I want to invest in some now, I like the sound of the weight savings and traction too.

I have a compressor so it'll be no problem inflating them. Have you ever had any punctures?

several punctures but the sealant seals it very very quick, you'll usually just loose a couple lbs of pressure. a've also rolled the bead off several times, everytime but once it simply reet itself and kept going. that should really happen unless your running large tires, like 2.7 or bigger. if you want to do it cheaper you can get a road tube cut the outer half of it off and use that as the rim strip. its even lighter than the stans rim strip. my buddy tried it and i worked fine. hit up your lbs they might have some punctured ones they'll give you.

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 13:01 Quote
yea, its works great, my dad uses it and now i am thinking about getting some

Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 13:32 Quote
recomend not using kenda tires with tubless, unless its a tubless specified tire. the beads tear easily with the added pressure on the sidewalls. they even have a disclaimer about it on their web site. thought i'd let you know. i've had several tear on me in the last year and a half.

Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 13:48 Quote
I freakin love it. Just mounted a new set of (non-UST) Minion DHFs 2.7f/2.5r using the strips and sealant. Friggin awesome traction. You can run lower pressure without having to worry about pinch flats but IMO the real benefit is that the tire feels like it's at a lower pressure than the same tire with tube at the same pressure. I usually run 30-36 front 32-38 rear depending on the terrain and the tires "act" like they are running at 5psi less. By "act" I mean that they are more supple, able to comform to the terrain and grip the shit out of it becuase there is no tube that it stiffening the casing of the tire.

I've never rolled a bead but I did burp the rear a tiny bit once. There was plenty of pressure left to finish the ride though.

Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 14:05 Quote
SS-Bottlerocket wrote:
I freakin love it. Just mounted a new set of (non-UST) Minion DHFs 2.7f/2.5r using the strips and sealant. Friggin awesome traction. You can run lower pressure without having to worry about pinch flats but IMO the real benefit is that the tire feels like it's at a lower pressure than the same tire with tube at the same pressure. I usually run 30-36 front 32-38 rear depending on the terrain and the tires "act" like they are running at 5psi less. By "act" I mean that they are more supple, able to comform to the terrain and grip the shit out of it becuase there is no tube that it stiffening the casing of the tire.

I've never rolled a bead but I did burp the rear a tiny bit once. There was plenty of pressure left to finish the ride though.

aint it wonderfull!!

Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 14:31 Quote
haha! you guys have actually got me stoked for this stuff now! I can't wait to get some!

Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 14:36 Quote
ive got the kit to do mine and the tyres as well. im just waiting to wear out my existing tyres a bit more. one question though, a friend said that putting tubeless tyres on rims is really hard and should be done by a lbs. is that what everyone else has done? or can i do it myself?

Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 14:38 Quote
henryf wrote:
ive got the kit to do mine and the tyres as well. im just waiting to wear out my existing tyres a bit more. one question though, a friend said that putting tubeless tyres on rims is really hard and should be done by a lbs. is that what everyone else has done? or can i do it myself?

He doesn't know how to mount a tire. There is no tire or rim on the market that's not easy to mount if you know how.

Posted: Mar 26, 2008 at 14:41 Quote
cthorpe wrote:
huckoveraduck wrote:
cthorpe wrote:

several punctures but the sealant seals it very very quick, you'll usually just loose a couple lbs of pressure. a've also rolled the bead off several times, everytime but once it simply reet itself and kept going. that should really happen unless your running large tires, like 2.7 or bigger. if you want to do it cheaper you can get a road tube cut the outer half of it off and use that as the rim strip. its even lighter than the stans rim strip. my buddy tried it and i worked fine. hit up your lbs they might have some punctured ones they'll give you.

By rim strip do you mean the nylon spoke tape?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.028511
Mobile Version of Website