203mm rotors for XC good or a bad thing

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
203mm rotors for XC good or a bad thing
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 30, 2008 at 6:19 Quote
What's everybody's opinion about 203mm rotors for XC use.Everybody can give there own opinion about it.

Posted: Mar 30, 2008 at 6:34 Quote
you do not need a 8 inch rotor, it ads more weight and it will not benifit you. a lot of DH'ers run 7 some times even. just roll wiith some 5 or 6's

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2008 at 14:49 Quote
would be pretty fun though

Posted: Mar 30, 2008 at 14:51 Quote
youd fall over the handle bars whenever you breaked!
that would not be fun clipped in.

Posted: Apr 1, 2008 at 4:26 Quote
its like riding a moped scooter in full racing leathers every day. if its all you got it will do but you are gonna get sh!t for it

Posted: Apr 1, 2008 at 4:29 Quote
seems rather pointless if u ask me
u want to carry your speed loads in XC otherwise u get worn out quicker
although for some techy courses u might need the extra power

Posted: Apr 1, 2008 at 6:16 Quote
its pointless you really dont need that amount of stopping power for anything except downhill and huge freeride, if anything 203mm rotas for xc are just extra weight, uneccesary

Posted: Apr 1, 2008 at 6:30 Quote
complete overkill, your not going to go over the bars because you have a bigger rotor but like mentioned above, save the weight, money, and the shit your gonna get from other riders on the trail.

Posted: Apr 1, 2008 at 6:32 Quote
With a set of multi-pot calipers with decent modulation 203mm discs would be very responsive.. but with the wrong calipers they will be a death trap!

Posted: Apr 1, 2008 at 9:26 Quote
If you are a heavy rider, and you like to take your XC bike down long, steep technical terrain then a larger disc might have some limited benefit. It will shed heat faster, and last longer before failing due to heat.

Personally, I would not worry about the weight of the larger components. We're talking a few hundred grams here. Not a big deal, unless your main goal is winning races.

Also, I wouldn't worry about what other riders think about your rotors. Who cares what someone else thinks about your brakes? Your setup should reflect how/what you ride, not the social status you aspire to.

That said, if you are NOT heavy, and you DON'T ride down a lot of long, steep hills, you could most likely find a better way to spend that money.

Posted: Apr 1, 2008 at 10:41 Quote
There was already a thread on this...Rolleyes

Anyways 203 just isn't necessary.

Posted: Apr 1, 2008 at 10:46 Quote
no go with 6 in

Posted: Apr 5, 2008 at 17:41 Quote
trekrules wrote:
What's everybody's opinion about 203mm rotors for XC use.Everybody can give there own opinion about it.

I have been using 8" rotors on my bikes since day one. Most of the bikes I have owned have been my one bike that gets used for everything, so it makes more sense to go larger in this case. It also depends on what kind of trails you ride, how much you weigh, and how you ride. I weigh over 200lbs and having a 203 up front works well for long downhills on xc rides. Smaller brakes can overheat when you are on an extended downhill. Having an 8" up front and a 6" or 185mm on the back works well if you are really aggressive on the dh.

Posted: Apr 6, 2008 at 18:38 Quote
1324 wrote:
no go with 6 in

I say ride whatever feels right to you. I put an 8" on my Dawg and I love it. I rode it in CO and VT setup like that and never looked back. I could care less what anyone else thinks. The only concern is that you should consider a through-axle or an upgraded QR due to the extra forces. I rode mine with a standard QR and never tore out any dropouts. YMMV.

Thanks,
Andrew.

Posted: Apr 6, 2008 at 18:46 Quote
codyloveskona wrote:
you do not need a 8 inch rotor, it ads more weight and it will not benifit you. a lot of DH'ers run 7 some times even. just roll wiith some 5 or 6's

Are you stupid? 8 inch rotors aren't much heavier than 6 inch rotors. Its stupid because its too much power, its over kill. Just like what everyone else is saying.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009031
Mobile Version of Website