203mm rotors for XC good or a bad thing
Posted: Jan 12, 2013 at 19:32 Quote
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
my bike for now
might build it to 650b an swap wheels and forks to my dj so my girlfriend can ride with me. i hate the back shock. have to have it way pumped up so it dosnt eat travle. but fox has a volume spacer kit heard it does wonders.

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 3:12 Quote
What about your brakes??

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 9:02 Quote
Saint 4 piston 203s up front talk about to much power

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 12:09 Quote
tylerthegiant wrote:
Saint 4 piston 203s up front talk about to much power
Is that a zee I see in the rear?

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 13:21 Quote
No all saint brakes.

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 19:05 Quote
Nice, m810 or m820? Either way almost same brake setup ive got, but ive got a zee in the rear and saint in the front with 203 front and back

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 at 23:06 Quote
Wasmachineman-NL wrote:
tylerthegiant wrote:
Wasmachineman-NL wrote:
If you're still overheating brakes, you'll need this: Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://images.ridemonkey.com/index.php?size=full&src=http%3A%2F%2Ft3.gstatic.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcR2xJRhMXy_4nMhOVESaNASCZGPPPCMK4gAnbKkmPUNvMQk13p6%26amp%3Bt%3D1
what is this awesome thing
Shimano's water cooled disc brake prototype with a vented disc, Insanely powerful, I think these brakes could be used on a highly tuned moped, as the drum brakes tend to fail/overheat at speeds over 50mph/80kmh, AFAIK the riders of this brake needed to purposely contaminate their pads otherwise they just go OTB when braking.

Never, if they're good brakes

There is NO SUCH THING as too much power. There is only poorly modulated power. If your brakes are off/on get new brakes!

Posted: Jan 15, 2013 at 22:05 Quote
ferday wrote:
Wasmachineman-NL wrote:
tylerthegiant wrote:
what is this awesome thing
Shimano's water cooled disc brake prototype with a vented disc, Insanely powerful, I think these brakes could be used on a highly tuned moped, as the drum brakes tend to fail/overheat at speeds over 50mph/80kmh, AFAIK the riders of this brake needed to purposely contaminate their pads otherwise they just go OTB when braking.

Never, if they're good brakes

There is NO SUCH THING as too much power. There is only poorly modulated power. If your brakes are off/on get new brakes!

Agreed. As well, if you've ever tried (I've done this dozens of times for kicks) you can skid your front tire with a strong rearward weight shift and only locking your front brake. If you go OTB trying it, you aren't far enough back. Purposely contaminating a disc is a recipe for a mess - I don't care how crappy of high end the system is. I advise against this unless you want to experiment chucking pads in the trash, resanding rotors, blah blah.... A nightmare in my experience.... That cooled brake is pretty funky however it just looks like a little gimmicky transmission cooler or something. I wonder how good it really is as bike rotors are well vented anyway.

Posted: Mar 4, 2013 at 10:44 Quote
foxmtbing wrote:
codyloveskona wrote:
you do not need a 8 inch rotor, it ads more weight and it will not benifit you. a lot of DH'ers run 7 some times even. just roll wiith some 5 or 6's

Are you stupid? 8 inch rotors aren't much heavier than 6 inch rotors. Its stupid because its too much power, its over kill. Just like what everyone else is saying.

In XC terms, those extra grams can mean a worlds difference. There's actually some significant weight difference between a 6 inch and 8 inch rotor.

Posted: May 31, 2013 at 13:33 Quote
203/180 all the time.

O+
Posted: Jun 14, 2013 at 13:44 Quote
I've been running Avid Elixir R's with a 203 airotor up front for a couple of years. No problems here. Its also mounted on a Sid race, which they say the max. Is 185mm.

Posted: Jun 14, 2013 at 18:28 Quote
Been running 203 rotors front and rear since the first gen XT's came out in 2000 or so. Larger guy 230+ with gear. Never let me down. Any weight savings i culd want would be in skipping the cheeseburger

Posted: Jun 17, 2013 at 3:09 Quote
Screw it go with 220mm no jk. I monster garaged a shimano 203 ice tech rotor on my avid caliper. They work really good. I go down trails built on a ski slope couldn't be happier!

Posted: Aug 25, 2013 at 2:48 Quote
203 all the way, the weight you gain compared to the power you gain from braking is nothing - and when you are in a situation when you need to STOP - you can, and living in a hilly location i tell you i'd never go back to a smaller rotor

Posted: Aug 25, 2013 at 4:20 Quote
longride wrote:
If you are a heavy rider, and you like to take your XC bike down long, steep technical terrain then a larger disc might have some limited benefit. It will shed heat faster, and last longer before failing due to heat.

Personally, I would not worry about the weight of the larger components. We're talking a few hundred grams here. Not a big deal, unless your main goal is winning races.

Also, I wouldn't worry about what other riders think about your rotors. Who cares what someone else thinks about your brakes? Your setup should reflect how/what you ride, not the social status you aspire to.

That said, if you are NOT heavy, and you DON'T ride down a lot of long, steep hills, you could most likely find a better way to spend that money.

Best answer here!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.033389
Mobile Version of Website