Santa Cruz V10

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz V10
Posted: Jun 16, 2015 at 14:28 Quote
V10

Hey guys I'm after some advice on fork/shock settings on my v10^

I am around 85kg with gear on and running a 450 spring with 150 psi (Fox Dhx rc4) also running 72psi in the forks (40 float)

Both were serviced by mojo in the last 2 months and have just ran with their settings (i will confirm what these are) but am interested in what others are running in terms of LSC, HSC, rebound.

Cheers in advance tup

Posted: Jun 16, 2015 at 14:35 Quote
I think it's time to show my bike. I know it's getting a bit older, but I absolutely love it.
It's the 2012 V10.4 C repainted in satin black, covered in custom made vinyl decals.
Finished with 6 coats of satin clear coat. (the look i went for is something between the V10.5 and Cedric Gracia's V10.4).
Because of the old descendant cranks I chose to cover them as well.
Then it was just a no brainer to match the F40. (and Yes it's the hope direct mount crown, weighted only 5 grams more than the original+direct mount with ti bolts, But I just like the look of it).

Weights 16,5kg last time I checked, before going tubeless (which isn't great with the ex721's).
So the only upgrades I can still think off are Hope Cranks and Notubes Flow rims.

Sorry for the crappy phone pics.

Posted: Jun 16, 2015 at 19:13 Quote
Super original dude!

Posted: Jun 16, 2015 at 21:47 Quote
That paint job is most excellent

Posted: Jun 17, 2015 at 1:03 Quote
mostly the paint job is excellent........mostly

Just kidding, looks sick!

Posted: Jun 18, 2015 at 0:56 Quote
Hi there, i've seen that they are already selling the fox dhx2 shock and 40 2016 fork in somes online stores... So i want to order a v10cc but i wonder if can i already order the bike with those suspensions? The Santa Cruz website doesn't say anything about it...
Sorry for my bad english...

Posted: Jun 18, 2015 at 2:02 Quote
alanthepwner wrote:
Hi there, i've seen that they are already selling the fox dhx2 shock and 40 2016 fork in somes online stores... So i want to order a v10cc but i wonder if can i already order the bike with those suspensions? The Santa Cruz website doesn't say anything about it...
Sorry for my bad english...

Your best bet is to keep an eye on their own website ;-) I can check later today though since we sell Santa Cruz bikes at the shop, but I don't think it's possible yet.

Cheers, Juriaan

Posted: Jun 18, 2015 at 7:44 Quote
sampers wrote:
I think it's time to show my bike. I know it's getting a bit older, but I absolutely love it.
It's the 2012 V10.4 C repainted in satin black, covered in custom made vinyl decals.
Finished with 6 coats of satin clear coat. (the look i went for is something between the V10.5 and Cedric Gracia's V10.4).
Because of the old descendant cranks I chose to cover them as well.
Then it was just a no brainer to match the F40. (and Yes it's the hope direct mount crown, weighted only 5 grams more than the original+direct mount with ti bolts, But I just like the look of it).

Weights 16,5kg last time I checked, before going tubeless (which isn't great with the ex721's).
So the only upgrades I can still think off are Hope Cranks and Notubes Flow rims.

Sorry for the crappy phone pics.

Painted yourself or sent somewhere to get it done?

Posted: Jun 18, 2015 at 10:27 Quote
Did it myself (with my brother).

This was one of the other looks the bike has had in the past.

Just had the decals custom made to my liking. I chose every color, once I was happy with the rendering they were sent to me. These were done by Nemeth Laszlo Designs. (only on Facebook).

I wanted the paint to be satin black. (as the Fox forks are satin, not matte).
First I sanded the frame by hand. Important is to start with 140 grid or similar and work your way up to 600 grid. And don't skip stages. You must go from 140 to 240, 320, 400, 600. If you go from 240 to 600 there will still be scratches. (wetsanding for the win!)

Then paint it with good quality paint. First a good primer, several coats. Then your desired color. (these days a rattle can is a good option as you can have any good paint put into a can). But you'll have to find a good supplier.
I suggest you'll look online to car/motorcyle paint info that's how we started too. The info I'm giving is just what I found to be useful for the bike specifically. When you find a good supplier for the paint, they can give you all the info on that paint as well. So you'll know how long to wait, how to degrease the frame before painting...

Once the paint has dried. you can apply the decals. Heat them a little to follow curves and have a good contact with the frame. After that we put on multiple layers of clear coat to protect everything. Watch out you have clear coat that works on vinyl too. Otherwise it might come lose on top of it.

There are lot's of movies on how to apply decals, but the main thing is, you'll have the white see through sticky paper on top of your decal, leave that on and you can put adhesive tape on top of it so you can position the wole decal at the right place. And then remove the backside and stick it to the frame. Then work your way to the other side of the decal.

Posted: Jun 18, 2015 at 16:09 Quote
@sampers - that is AWESOME!
Bike looks O P. I rather someone do it for me tho; as I live in an apartment in London so dont have space for sanding and the dust, drying or painting :-(

Did someone help you with the renderings or did you do it yourself?

Posted: Jun 19, 2015 at 2:24 Quote
I could have done it myself but I knew he (Nemeth Laszlo) had the template for the frame, forks and cranks. So I just drew a quick example in photoshop so he could understand how to change it to my liking. At first it looked more like the syndicate world champs bike from a few years back with national flag...

I am pleased with the result but for other decals on my XC bike I tried Slik graphics, those are even better quality and his english is better, nicer website, much nicer sent through mail. (no folds)....
Just haven't seen any V10 decals on his website so maybe he does make them, maybe he doesn't.

When I'll change my decals next year, I'll sure ask him first.
www.slikgraphics.com

Can't remember the price out of my head, but I found it pretty decent.(both guys).

As for the sanding, I did it in my apartment (don't tell my gf). But it isn't that dusty. Hence the wet sanding by hand.
It's a little dirty but it's not a big deal when you put something under the frame and don't wear your best clothes.

The painting we did outside out of the wind. On a hot day and let it dry inside over night.
What I forgot to mention is that the aluminium swing arm has influenced the choice in primer so the paint would stick nicely. (had to sand down a few bits to bare aluminium to remove scratches).

Anybody knows if you can get a carbon 10.5 swing arm separately?

Posted: Jun 19, 2015 at 8:20 Quote
I am looking at some input from those of you who have owned an older V2 or V3 aluminum v10.

A bit of the back story... I currently own a 2006 VP Free with a Marzocchi 66 up front. Used to use it for everything including DH and trails. Since then, I have bought a Norco Range that is very capable descending and much lighter on for the pedal up. Not surprisingly, the VP Free is now only getting used for park and DH riding.
My thoughts are to get a dedicated DH rig since it is no longer being ridden up.

A lot has changed since I was in the market for a DH bike and am wondering, for sub $1500, if an older V10 (probably 2006-2008 ) still makes sense or if it is worth saving a little longer and get a more modern bike?

Posted: Jun 19, 2015 at 11:36 Quote
blueman wrote:
I am looking at some input from those of you who have owned an older V2 or V3 aluminum v10.

A bit of the back story... I currently own a 2006 VP Free with a Marzocchi 66 up front. Used to use it for everything including DH and trails. Since then, I have bought a Norco Range that is very capable descending and much lighter on for the pedal up. Not surprisingly, the VP Free is now only getting used for park and DH riding.
My thoughts are to get a dedicated DH rig since it is no longer being ridden up.

A lot has changed since I was in the market for a DH bike and am wondering, for sub $1500, if an older V10 (probably 2006-2008 ) still makes sense or if it is worth saving a little longer and get a more modern bike?

Depends on cash flow, we all like new v10s, but for sub $2k I would aim to get a Giant Glory 2010 or newer, maybe an Intense Socom, or Specialized Status and try to build it light. You'll like a setup with low bb and slack head angle I reckon.

Posted: Jun 19, 2015 at 14:57 Quote
Save a little, parts for a V10.2 are expensive and scarce. And you'll most likely have to replace all axles and bearings and if you're out of luck, the dropouts. I think they don't even have one of the two anymore at SC.

A mk3 would be your best bet but I think if you try to save up you could get a decent much newer bike. Devincis are of very good value, the Wilson XP for instance. Just don't get tempted into the lower end brands with high end parts. It's never better than a high end frame with medium quality parts. Which you can upgrade easily.

Posted: Jun 24, 2015 at 15:20 Quote

After 4 months 6 shocks and 2 front ends its finally sorted!!

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013145
Mobile Version of Website