Santa Cruz V10

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz V10
Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 11:31 Quote
I'm 6' / ~200 lbs so a V10.6 size XL with a 550 spring should be fine?

Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 16:07 Quote
inshane-himself wrote:
tingmax wrote:
inshane-himself wrote:
Picked this up a few months ago. Way better than the last generation of v10.
Running a 550 spring and its amazing. I am 5'11" and the large is perfect.

Hi, very good build. Nice color choice simple and efficient
In my life i have ride:
v10.2 (the tank)
v10.3 (best v10 i have ever ride) best result in downhill with it
v10.4 (bi carbon, bi alloy) (i ride it 5 years)
v10.6 (first in 27.5) in white.. (i ride it 3 years)

but i have hesitation to ride this new . You say "better than the last generation of v10", can you develop ?
You ride it on 27.5 or 29 model ? can you develop your choice ?

i think if i buy it -> 29.. because i have the last in 27.5.

I have a large 27.5 version of the v10.7. I find this bike doesn't blow threw the travel as fast. Biggest thing is the new updated suspension design. The "Lower leverage rate for optimal shock performance." Way more progressive. It sits higher in the travel and jumps extremely well. The shock travel ramps up nice. I also have the option to run a much higher spring rate if I want to hit bigger stuff as well. I am 5"10 and 195 pounds, larger reach is perfect now.

I also have the 27.5 v10.6 still. It has a 550 pound spring and i found the bike sits extremely low and squats in the corners. Any sizeable hits and id blow threw the travel no problem.. I tried a stiffer coil and it was dangerous. The heavier spring is to powerful for the shock, it cant control the rebound. I had slipped a 650 spring and it constantly wanted to throw me over the bars and I still blew threw the travel like crazy.

Hope this helps and makes sense. Im just typing everything I can think of before bed hah.
Cheers!
Seems to me like you're a good candidate for a revalve.

Posted: Jan 9, 2020 at 9:20 Quote
inshane-himself wrote:
tingmax wrote:
inshane-himself wrote:
Picked this up a few months ago. Way better than the last generation of v10.
Running a 550 spring and its amazing. I am 5'11" and the large is perfect.

In my life i have ride:
v10.2 (the tank)

but i have hesitation to ride this new . You say "better than the last generation of v10", can you develop ?

Hi.

Thanks a lot for your reply. Smile
Have a nice day and a nice ride with this beast ihih

I have a large 27.5 version of the v10.7. I find this bike doesn't blow threw the travel as fast. Biggest thing is the new updated suspension design. The "Lower leverage rate for optimal shock performance." Way more progressive. It sits higher in the travel and jumps extremely well. The shock travel ramps up nice. I also have the option to run a much higher spring rate if I want to hit bigger stuff as well. I am 5"10 and 195 pounds, larger reach is perfect now.

I also have the 27.5 v10.6 still. It has a 550 pound spring and i found the bike sits extremely low and squats in the corners. Any sizeable hits and id blow threw the travel no problem.. I tried a stiffer coil and it was dangerous. The heavier spring is to powerful for the shock, it cant control the rebound. I had slipped a 650 spring and it constantly wanted to throw me over the bars and I still blew threw the travel like crazy.

Hope this helps and makes sense. Im just typing everything I can think of before bed hah.
Cheers!

Posted: Jan 10, 2020 at 3:58 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
inshane-himself wrote:
tingmax wrote:

In my life i have ride:
v10.2 (the tank)

Cheers!

^I’m with Ajax on this one. I got a custom tunes avalanche woodie and it feels like the bike finally handles as it was meant to. The problem isn’t the bike’s suspension, but your weight relative to fox’s valve tune.

Posted: Jan 10, 2020 at 11:09 Quote
MindPatterns wrote:
Hey there, does anyone know what kind of fork offset the V10 (29") is build around?

58mm is the current Fox 49.

Posted: Jan 11, 2020 at 19:31 Quote
Shartriloquist wrote:
ajax-ripper wrote:
inshane-himself wrote:

Cheers!

^I’m with Ajax on this one. I got a custom tunes avalanche woodie and it feels like the bike finally handles as it was meant to. The problem isn’t the bike’s suspension, but your weight relative to fox’s valve tune.

Yea the only option I had for the 10.6 was purchasing a different shock with a specific tune. I had spent time with the fox factory mechanics from Californian and a few local shops but they couldn't get it working. Just wasn't possible with the x2. The high leverage ratio didnt fit my style of riding. I do more freeride / dirt jumps so I like a stiff bike. Dont get me wrong tho im not bashing the 10.6, its an amazing bike.
The lower leverage ratio of the 10.7 fits my needs perfectly. Ill be riding a 650-700 pound spring in the summer.

Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 22:57 Quote
Kiran wrote:
MindPatterns wrote:
Hey there, does anyone know what kind of fork offset the V10 (29") is build around?

58mm is the current Fox 49.

Thanks. That sounds like a lot compared to the options you have with the Boxxer Smile

Posted: Mar 4, 2020 at 18:45 Quote
Bump: rear shock for V10.6?

Looking at rear shock options for my V10.6. My frame came with a Vivid Air and during a 3 week trip in Whistler last year, I was just blowing through all of the travel all the time. It's definitely due for a service but I'm thinking of just replacing it.

Options I'm looking at:
- Fox X2 (air) - currently have one on another bike but in need of a service
- Fox DHX2
- DVO Jade
- Marzocchi Bomber CR?

Trails I ride:
- Jump trails (A-line, Dirt Merch etc.)
- Slow, steep tech.
- Not interested in racing.

Other info
-~185 pound/85 kilos kitted up
- running 26" wheels so not blowing through travel/pedal strikes is important

Seems like the V10.6s don't play so well with air shocks? So maybe a coil is the way to go? Any opinions/help is appreciated.

Posted: Mar 7, 2020 at 20:12 Quote
autechre wrote:

Looking at rear shock options for my V10.6. My frame came with a Vivid Air and during a 3 week trip in Whistler last year, I was just blowing through all of the travel all the time. It's definitely due for a service but I'm thinking of just replacing it.

Options I'm looking at:
- Fox DHX2
- DVO Jade
- Marzocchi Bomber CR?

Trails I ride:
- Slow, steep tech.

Other info

Seems like the V10.6s don't play so well with air shocks? So maybe a coil is the way to go? Any opinions/help is appreciated.

i bought a new 19 air x2 after extensive reasearch.., better bump stop in 19, similar riding style as you, LOVED it.... but it blew up after 4 solid days, i got a used dhx2 coil from a shop that had one from a factory v10, gave it hell for over a year and still dampens well, the v10 puts alot of stress on the shock it seems, id reccomend coil unless you know how to rebuild the air. it was superior for me but the service life had me scared, fox nicely rebuilt it for free after explaining the issue but i wound up selling it here.

Posted: Apr 5, 2020 at 7:56 Quote
I have a 10.5 that came with the 2014- version of the vivid air and hated it up until I put a volume spacer in. Now it’s buttery up top and while still maintaining bottom out protection o the big stuff. Overall, with just one spacer it acts a lot more like a coil spring. Cheap easy fix, but let a bike shop do it. Definitely B+ to A- technical skills needed.

Posted: Apr 21, 2020 at 18:54 Quote
azaneitor91 wrote:

loving that colour of rims and grips! nice

I just got a V10 the other day. Pumped to post some pics!

Posted: Jun 5, 2020 at 17:34 Quote
2016 V10 Large
XO Drivetrain
Raceface SixC Handlebar
Raceface SixC Crank
Raceface Atlas Pedal
Hope V4 Front & Rear Brake
Hope 203mm Rotor
Enve 27.5 M90 Wheels
Ceramic Speed Wheel Bearing
DT Swiss 240s Wheel Hub
REV Grip
Rock Guardz Downtube Protector

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 17:24 Quote
chaosmtb wrote:
autechre wrote:

Options I'm looking at:
- Fox DHX2
- DVO Jade
- Marzocchi Bomber CR?

Trails I ride:
- Slow, steep tech.

Other info

i bought a new 19 air x2 after extensive reasearch.., better bump stop in 19, similar riding style as you, LOVED it.... but it blew up after 4 solid days, i got a used dhx2 coil from a shop that had one from a factory v10, gave it hell for over a year and still dampens well, the v10 puts alot of stress on the shock it seems, id reccomend coil unless you know how to rebuild the air. it was superior for me but the service life had me scared, fox nicely rebuilt it for free after explaining the issue but i wound up selling it here.

It’s not just the V10 being harsh on the Air X2, unfortunately I made short work of one on a bronson as well before the telltale squishing jelly noises set in... Fox needs to head back to the drawing board, this design if flawed in a number of ways from an engineering standpoint for the sake of cost/customer external adjustment...

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010966
Mobile Version of Website