Technique for pumping jumps - getting maximum air... (yes i have searched)

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Technique for pumping jumps - getting maximum air... (yes i have searched)
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 5, 2008 at 5:35 Quote
Search came in with 3250 results, mainly about 'pump tracks' so forgive me if this has been posted before and i'd be grateful if you directed me to a thread with the relevant info.

Right I genrally ride with my knees bent, so i can be prepared for any changes in the ground, as i've just started dirt jumping i use this same technique here - hitting the jumps with my knees bent.

Can someone explain or give me some tips on how i should pump a jump. I've watched this http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-2148960985559597240&q=pumping+bmx&total=22&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=2

Which i'm definately going to give a go next time, however i belive to get maximum air you have to j-hop at the peak of the jump, if you've already pumped your legs will be straight so hence you can't spring into a j-hop - a little clarity on this would be great.

Cheers if you read all that, and thanks in advance for any help!

Posted: Apr 5, 2008 at 5:50 Quote
just my two cents: i dont really dirt jump but i skated alot and i use the same idea/principal for jumping on bikes. its like pumping a ramp in skateboarding, you pump through the transition, but the motion is not as exaggerated as you may think. watch any video with people skating or biking transition, youll notice that they dont really pump that hard unless you have ample amounts of transition and vertical. and dont forget to pump the tranny on the way down either as this can give you lots of speed and more time to setup for the next trick. also, probably practicing somewhere like a skate park will help you as the transitions tend to be smoother and more perfect for learning the technique; where as, dirt jumps tend to have a different ramp up and are not always ideal for learning..... thought i would share

Posted: Apr 5, 2008 at 9:55 Quote
downhilllumpy wrote:
just my two cents: i dont really dirt jump but i skated alot and i use the same idea/principal for jumping on bikes. its like pumping a ramp in skateboarding, you pump through the transition, but the motion is not as exaggerated as you may think. watch any video with people skating or biking transition, youll notice that they dont really pump that hard unless you have ample amounts of transition and vertical. and dont forget to pump the tranny on the way down either as this can give you lots of speed and more time to setup for the next trick. also, probably practicing somewhere like a skate park will help you as the transitions tend to be smoother and more perfect for learning the technique; where as, dirt jumps tend to have a different ramp up and are not always ideal for learning..... thought i would share

Hi dude, that helps a lot thanks!

@all: How do i then boost my height - do i jump at the top of the ramp after i've pumped?

Posted: Apr 5, 2008 at 14:46 Quote
if your talking about dirt jumping, a j hop is american for a bunny hop?! when you hit the peak of a launch leaning aback ever so slightly will help for air and exstending your arms and legs into the downslope will help for speed. pushing your frount wheel into the tip of the landing helps to. pumpiing isnt really that important. keeping shit smooth and riding the trails as if they were soild cammel humps is far more important than pumping.

Posted: Apr 5, 2008 at 16:10 Quote
It depends if you are riding lines you camel.

Posted: Apr 6, 2008 at 6:21 Quote
I think i have the speed pretty naturally.. Just was seeing if i could get any more hieght, but i guess you just let the jumps do the work?

I'm riding lines yes.

Posted: Apr 6, 2008 at 10:12 Quote
yeah just really flow over the trails like they were big humps follow the line of the jump perfectly, landing as high up the downslope as posible. if you want to go higher like i said leaning back and exstending your legs will help. failing that make your jumps steeper.

Posted: Apr 7, 2008 at 7:30 Quote
It doesnt particularly matter about the height.

Posted: Apr 22, 2008 at 13:08 Quote
If you want more height, then pull back ever so slightly go light and tuck the bike up, to pump and get speed over a jump, as soon as your front wheel leaves the lip, push forward ever so slightly, this will keep you low and then pump down the lander, but watch out for nose caseing.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010194
Mobile Version of Website