29'er info & discussion.

PB Forum :: 29ers
29'er info & discussion.
O+
Posted: Feb 11, 2016 at 20:39 Quote
Oh wow I have a few trails here that get super tricky to thread with a low bb, but you're right corners are a blast. Yours was sick with the squishy fork. I'd think if someone were to run a karate monkey with chubby tires, a 120mm fork would be minimum.

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2016 at 7:07 Quote
lumberjerk wrote:
Krampus has a sub 12.5" bb height iirc, which combined with smaller dia b+ setup = crank destruction.

Thought about the Krampus, but yeah, the BB height will be crazy. I'd like to avoid buying a new fork too (Salsa Cromoto 15mm exisiting) and that would drop the bike even more.

If my stupid Kona Unit frame could just fit these tires I'd be sorted. It's so close, yet so far...

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2016 at 7:57 Quote
JesseE wrote:
lumberjerk wrote:
Krampus has a sub 12.5" bb height iirc, which combined with smaller dia b+ setup = crank destruction.

Thought about the Krampus, but yeah, the BB height will be crazy. I'd like to avoid buying a new fork too (Salsa Cromoto 15mm exisiting) and that would drop the bike even more.

If my stupid Kona Unit frame could just fit these tires I'd be sorted. It's so close, yet so far...
Whats the biggest you've been able to go with your unit?

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2016 at 8:06 Quote
GravityCandy wrote:
JesseE wrote:
lumberjerk wrote:

I've got a 2011, and with that frame a 2.35 Nobby Nic starts to scrape paint off the stays when it's muddy. So, I've deduced from that that there's no way a 2.8 of any sort will fit right. The stays run back straight for about 3-4inches which means even a smaller wheel won't bring the fatter tires into an area with more clearance. I measured it and it's about 70mm which I think is what a WTB 2.8 measures up at on a wider rim.

Maybe new units have more clearance?

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2016 at 8:17 Quote
I've seen a few honzos running chubby tires, and those frames can be had fairly cheap.

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2016 at 8:19 Quote
JesseE wrote:
GravityCandy wrote:
JesseE wrote:

I've got a 2011, and with that frame a 2.35 Nobby Nic starts to scrape paint off the stays when it's muddy. So, I've deduced from that that there's no way a 2.8 of any sort will fit right. The stays run back straight for about 3-4inches which means even a smaller wheel won't bring the fatter tires into an area with more clearance. I measured it and it's about 70mm which I think is what a WTB 2.8 measures up at on a wider rim.

Maybe new units have more clearance?

I don't think so, biggest ive had is 2.3 an i had no problems. From pictures they look the same. Its too bad since the fork looks like it could take a pretty hefty tire.

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2016 at 9:06 Quote
lumberjerk wrote:
I've seen a few honzos running chubby tires, and those frames can be had fairly cheap.

yeah, would a pretty good option for sure, but this would be my rigid "other" bike and the Honzo is designed around too long a fork for me. I've got a new fork on my UNIT that is the same length pretty much as the stock fork. Wasn't cheap and I'm not really to ditich it.

Posted: Feb 12, 2016 at 9:10 Quote
Wow! Now I have seen the LIGHT having just ridden my Surly.

The chubby tyres really are worth their weight in gold. Dirt Wizards make confidence ooooze.

Shame bout the rider who's not currently fit enough to make full use of it YET.

Funnest bike by a long shot. Might have to get rid of my superbike builds and keep this and the SS. ( lovin it simple I'm lovin like this ) ;-d

Posted: Mar 15, 2016 at 12:08 Quote
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://oldglorymtb.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/44-bikes-29+-hardtail.jpg

O+
Posted: Mar 15, 2016 at 14:22 Quote
Hey guys, my friends looking into getting a 29er for all mountain/enduro style riding, and I wanted to know what would be considered good geo for a 29er in that discipline which would be optimal for both climbing and descending? Would it be different than that of a 27.5 or 26? For example a ht angle of 69,is that similar to say a ht angle of 67.5 on a 27.5 wheel? I'm new to 29er stuff and just looking to help him find a right bike. Thanks!

O+
Posted: Mar 15, 2016 at 15:24 Quote
sopro13 wrote:
Hey guys, my friends looking into getting a 29er for all mountain/enduro style riding, and I wanted to know what would be considered good geo for a 29er in that discipline which would be optimal for both climbing and descending? Would it be different than that of a 27.5 or 26? For example a ht angle of 69,is that similar to say a ht angle of 67.5 on a 27.5 wheel? I'm new to 29er stuff and just looking to help him find a right bike. Thanks!

CHECK OUT the Yeti SB95. Could probably get a good deal on one since they stopped making them. Jenson was blowing them out. They handle very well.

Posted: Mar 16, 2016 at 17:54 Quote
The Ibis Ripley LS has dialed geometry.

Posted: Mar 17, 2016 at 11:43 Quote
Transition Smuggler, Kona Process 111

Evil Following and Wreckoning

Spesh Enduro

Posted: Mar 17, 2016 at 12:09 Quote
Los5 wrote:
sopro13 wrote:

CHECK OUT the Yeti SB95. Could probably get a good deal on one since they stopped making them. Jenson was blowing them out. They handle very well.

Titus had El Guapo 29ers frames for dirt cheap recently. Not sure if they still do though.

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2016 at 15:15 Quote
turnbull
  turnbull

Morning ride at Turnbull. Not sure if I had posted since I went 1X

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015235
Mobile Version of Website