Broken Neck

• Previous Page
Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 11:07 Quote
Hey so on september 15, 2007 i was riding white hills and i nosed cased a landing and broke my neck. i broke the c5, c6, c7 vertebrates, im not paralized, and im wearing a brace instead of being in a halo. i should make a full recovery but I cant play any sports that i enjoyed so i gotta pick up new hobbies other than bodybuilding and now im restricted to excersizes once i get the brace off. im gonna be in it for 3 months so i was just wondering if any of you guys were once in this same situation. I'm done with freeriding and dirt jumping and shit now but I'm trying to decide whether or not to get a road bike or a cross country bike. I have no exprience with either but i want to ride anything I can and thats all I will be allowed to ride. so i want your input if you were once in the same situation, thanx.

Mark

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 11:18 Quote
awww man i feel so bad for you... u shuld get into xc !... dont give up on biking Big Grin

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 11:20 Quote
Dont you think you should be counting you lucky stars And walk away while you Can I would HINT HINT

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 11:22 Quote
well man how bout looking at schoolin for a bike mechanic and work in a shop and do a little xcing.. im so sorry to hear bout that man gert better soon

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 11:23 Quote
Mark,

I'm goin into surg for my back in a matter of days (16th). I've been sidelined for the last 2 yrs and in that time have had to do some soul searchin as well. Im mostly xc, ss and road but also have the big ride in the garage. Im hopin for a full recovery that will allow me to get back into the swing of ridin by spring or summer. But, am also aware that this may not work out for me as planned. In the time off I have lived vicariously through my friends and the riders around me using a camera. Its been fun and a learning experience.

As far as riding with a neck injury, road riding is harsh on the neck and shoulders. I remember the transfer from the trainer/rollers to the hwy in the spring and no matter how many miles I have put in over the winter, I would feel that first spring ride for the remainder of week. If you were to take up rd ridin, I would recommend a recumbent. You know those funky lookin things you see people touring across the country on... It was recommended to me for my predicament, but Im gonna hold off for now. XC ridin is a similar fit to the road bikes for me. I think Im gonna have to change my set up a little. Ie. short stems, risers. Just not as aggressive and low slung in the front. My racing days are over, but hopefully not my riding days.

Good luck..

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 17:42 Quote
wa2wider wrote:
Mark,

I'm goin into surg for my back in a matter of days (16th). I've been sidelined for the last 2 yrs and in that time have had to do some soul searchin as well. Im mostly xc, ss and road but also have the big ride in the garage. Im hopin for a full recovery that will allow me to get back into the swing of ridin by spring or summer. But, am also aware that this may not work out for me as planned. In the time off I have lived vicariously through my friends and the riders around me using a camera. Its been fun and a learning experience.

As far as riding with a neck injury, road riding is harsh on the neck and shoulders. I remember the transfer from the trainer/rollers to the hwy in the spring and no matter how many miles I have put in over the winter, I would feel that first spring ride for the remainder of week. If you were to take up rd ridin, I would recommend a recumbent. You know those funky lookin things you see people touring across the country on... It was recommended to me for my predicament, but Im gonna hold off for now. XC ridin is a similar fit to the road bikes for me. I think Im gonna have to change my set up a little. Ie. short stems, risers. Just not as aggressive and low slung in the front. My racing days are over, but hopefully not my riding days.

Good luck..

Thank you for the great reply and I wish you all the luck in your surgery and i hope you make a full recovery.

thanks for the other great replies guys.

camazar - i realize how lucky i am and you dont understand how thankful i am, but the doctors dont want me to give up on biking, because they believe i will get a full recovery and my bones well strengthen almost perfectly, they just dont think its a good idea to get back into agressive riding. I well have alot of physio before i can get back to the place i love most - the gym. the muscles i had built up in my neck saved my life. i dont plan on riding as much i just want to stay at it because i love the sport so much.

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 17:52 Quote
mtbmarknf wrote:
wa2wider wrote:
Mark,

Good luck..

Thank you for the great reply and I wish you all the luck in your surgery and i hope you make a full recovery.

thanks for the other great replies guys.

camazar - i realize how lucky i am and you dont understand how thankful i am, but the doctors dont want me to give up on biking, because they believe i will get a full recovery and my bones well strengthen almost perfectly, they just dont think its a good idea to get back into agressive riding. I well have alot of physio before i can get back to the place i love most - the gym. the muscles i had built up in my neck saved my life. i dont plan on riding as much i just want to stay at it because i love the sport so much.

I hear you BROTHER I know it would be hard to give it up Just glad to hear you can if your Doc say you can then Giver I wish you a full Recovery God Speed!!

Posted: Oct 17, 2007 at 13:20 Quote
hey man i was in the same position when i was 8 i was a hell of a dj and dh rider and naw im 15 and cant ride dh or dj anymore so i took up cross country unicycling and road racing on a bike

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 at 2:13 Quote
Speedy recovery to u mang. Good luck

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 at 2:34 Quote
yer i was in a back brace for a year, a boston brace there so shit, they cover your hole body pretty much and you can bearly bend. Im just coming out of it, well i did kind of cross country, downhill. The first few months i didnt ride at all, so if its only three months just i wouldnt ride for the first month, a really little the second month and maybe some cross country(gay) or just ride around town instead of using the car on the third month.

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 at 2:52 Quote
Ahh man, That sucks. It's shitty to hear of a fellow Newfoundlander going down HARD. I wish you a speedy recovery man and if you can't Freeride or dirtjump anymore(dont give up!) then start XCing, Wish you a speedy recovery and all the best.

Healing vibes!

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 at 3:56 Quote
camazar wrote:
Dont you think you should be counting you lucky stars And walk away while you Can I would HINT HINT

Once its in your blood, you can't walk away. I broke my c2 vertebrae back in 99 on my motorcycle, a GSXR 600, so I know where you're at. I had the full halo to go with it. Since that wreck, I have transferred my two wheel obsession to bicycles. I still ride street bikes, hell I bought another one in less than a year after the wreck for my birthday. You may find yourself longing for a day of freeriding and jumping again, you'll just be more cautious. I ride a roadbike along with my MTB and haven't had any problem with my neck. If I do extremely long rides on any of my bicycles, or if I'm just tired, my neck gets sore just from having my pack on all day. The days suck when you can't do anything, but it's a hell of lot better than what could have happened. Just listen to your doc and what he tells you is okay to do. If he says your 100%, then be thankful and enjoy life.

Glad to hear you're okay. It sucks, I've been there. You'll be surprised at what you can do when it's over. Just give it time, the mental scars from the wreck will probably hurt you more than the physical.

Posted: Oct 18, 2007 at 7:01 Quote
I'm with you too bro. I know its impossible to see right now, but always keep in mind that in time these days WILL PASS. Road riding will get you more fit than you've ever been in your whole life...I highly recommend taking it up when your body is ready. Just don't push it, always listen to your doc and take what he says seriously. Take it easy and let your body heal, and you'll be riding again.

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 at 18:04 Quote
hey, well i thought this thread was dead until i just checked it, so far the recovery is still going well without any pain so i hapy for that, i have around 55 days left, i got my big doctors appointment coming up now in 2 weeks in which i will get a ct scan to see wat things are looking like. thanks for the greats comments it sounds kinda corny but it deffiantly helps keep my hopes up.

slyfoxcrc09 you broke your c2, thats crazy isnt that like the bone that does the tilting for the head, the doctors told me i was so lucky i didnt breeak that. were both super lucky though along with everyone else out there that can still walk.

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 at 18:07 Quote
Sorry to hear... But honestly stay with the biking. Go XC and you will still enjoy the mountains!Cool

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012555
Mobile Version of Website