I love my bike but it weighs a tonne! Help!

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
I love my bike but it weighs a tonne! Help!
Previous Page |
Posted: Apr 13, 2008 at 4:45 Quote
Hi,

Basically i love my bike, ive had it for a few months now and its been amazing however compared to all of my friends bikes it weighs a tonne! Could anyone help me find what part of my bike weighs so much! Im getting argyle 318s soon so that might reduce things abit.
Here are the specs:

Frame - 24Seven Ltd. Edition Dark Angel Slacker
Forks - 2007 White DJs
Bars - 24Seven Suicide
Stem - Gusset
Rims - Halo SAS White
Hubs Blue Hope Pro 2
Pedals - Red Primo (soon to be getting white N.S Pancakes anyone reccomend them?)
Crankset - 24seven Superfat i think...
And everything else is just 24seven stock, saddle seat post etc.

What can i change that isn't going to cost me an arm or a leg to get a lighter bike! Im not too sure what the weight of it all is but it is heavy compared to p2s and the like that my mates have its heavy but amazing!

Thanks for your help! here are some pics!

Thanks

Posted: Apr 13, 2008 at 4:51 Quote
Frame - 24Seven Ltd. Edition Dark Angel Slacker
Forks - 2007 White DJs alot of lighter forks out there
Bars - 24Seven Suicide
Stem - Gusset - change to a lighter stem
Rims - Halo SAS White - that is quite a heavy rim
Hubs Blue Hope Pro 2
Pedals - Red Primo (soon to be getting white N.S Pancakes anyone reccomend them?) great pedal awsome grip
Crankset - 24seven Superfat i think... you could get some primo hollowbites
And everything else is just 24seven stock, saddle seat post etc.

not that its gunna make a big difference but hollow bolts, cut your bars down a little. there aint much you can do without spending some

Posted: Apr 13, 2008 at 4:53 Quote
yeah i thought so...
hmmmm.....
What about my rims? I've heard that compared to mtxs and mavics they weigh alot?
Any other suggestions guys?

Posted: Apr 13, 2008 at 4:55 Quote
The cheapest thing to do, which invole no money is to cut your bars and seat post down and remove the front brake.

You could put a rigid on the front that would cost no more than £100 otherwise it will cost to save weight.

Everything on that bike can be replaced with lighter parts but it will cost, depends what you want to do first but concentrate on the back and front of the bike, the middle doesn't matter right now as you feel weigh loss more at the extremities of the bike (front and rear)

Mirco drive would save a lot of weight but leave that till the very end.

Your best bet is the first two thing I mentioned along with rigid forks.

Posted: Apr 13, 2008 at 4:58 Quote
Yeah, i have actually literally cut of my seat post and cut down my bars to the max in my opinion to still have a comfortable ride... I'm still wondering about these rims though, what do you think a pair of sun mtxs, single or double track would do? I'm also not too keen on the idea of rigids, lol but thanks for your help guys! Really appreciate this Smile

Posted: Apr 13, 2008 at 5:03 Quote
yeah ive just got myself some mtx's and there is deffinately a difference between the two

Posted: Apr 13, 2008 at 5:16 Quote
Maybe take off the rear disc and caliper and put a V-brake. Calipers are quite heavy.

Posted: Apr 13, 2008 at 5:18 Quote
dom19 wrote:
yeah ive just got myself some mtx's and there is deffinately a difference between the two

Hey dom did you used to have SASs then? in 24"? How do they compare with each other? Big Grin

Posted: Apr 13, 2008 at 5:52 Quote
i would recomend changin the rims to dtswiss 5.1 they only weigh 500g per rim wich is 80g lighter than a ex721. my mate had them and they wer amazing. also try and cut ur seatpost and get a lighter seat, bar, stem, cranks (hollowbites was a good call)

Posted: Apr 13, 2008 at 5:53 Quote
oh and take ur front brake off. thats around 500g saved...

Posted: Apr 13, 2008 at 8:37 Quote
On the rim side, Sun Rhyno Lite XL lovely rim and built properly it will put up with enough abuse.

Posted: Apr 13, 2008 at 8:49 Quote
MCHardmanUK wrote:
On the rim side, Sun Rhyno Lite XL lovely rim and built properly it will put up with enough abuse.

So true, I've got one on the front of my 416. Most people are like "eww rhyno lite, shittiest rims ever"

But mine has outlasted a double track, and still doing great. Might be in part due to the front end not taking too much abuse, but that's one way you can save weight.

Stem, crankset, front brake.
Those are the 3 biggest things weighing your bike down.

Posted: Apr 13, 2008 at 9:36 Quote
Rhion lites built well are fine. I have heard MANY complaints about double tracks, even from shop owners. You are running a solid sprocket, which could be lighter. I would not worry about that till it wears out as you won't feel a differance changing it. You'r crank looks pretty heavy. You could cut your steerer and lower your stem. I hate my bars that high but you might like them up there so that's personal. As for the front brake, it will save minimal weight so if you use it, keep it. Rims and cranks can add a ton to a bike as well, some tires are really heavy. A soild stem will add butit's not really noticable. If you spend the cash and make enough small changes you will feel it.

Posted: Apr 13, 2008 at 12:33 Quote
Hmm i've done quite alot of research of weights of my parts and the ones that you have all kindly reccomended but i seriously can't see the difference, the biggest difference for example would be my SASs over these sun rhino rims or mtxs, its the biggest difference at 200g. Also the smaller parts that you have suggests such as my stem at 345g compared to a deity stem at around 275g... Will these differences really make a bigger deal and are they worth the investment? The crankset is also interesting... i couldnt find a weight for 24seven superfat cranks and wondering if i should invest in a new set after ive bought my forks?! Haha i might aswell have holes in my pockets lmao Razz

Posted: Apr 13, 2008 at 12:35 Quote
DekuDude wrote:
Hmm i've done quite alot of research of weights of my parts and the ones that you have all kindly reccomended but i seriously can't see the difference, the biggest difference for example would be my SASs over these sun rhino rims or mtxs, its the biggest difference at 200g. Also the smaller parts that you have suggests such as my stem at 345g compared to a deity stem at around 275g... Will these differences really make a bigger deal and are they worth the investment? The crankset is also interesting... i couldnt find a weight for 24seven superfat cranks and wondering if i should invest in a new set after ive bought my forks?! Haha i might aswell have holes in my pockets lmao Razz
thing with wheel whights is that its not just about when yo pick ur bike up it feels lighter it increases pedaling efficiency handling and braking. its one of the most important things to keep light

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006930
Mobile Version of Website