Which frame'd you choose for AM and Enduro?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Which frame'd you choose for AM and Enduro?
Posted: Apr 18, 2008 at 18:54 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
I don't really have a point. I was just saying that you call people out for no apparent reason. I have seen a Reign put through its paces and I have also ridden one it is definitely one of the better frames out there. Are you honestly going to say that a Bottle Rocket is better than a Reign? A Specialized SX frame is more expensive and is heavier than the Reign. The only bikes that may be better or are equally as good are the Nomad and 6.6. Unfortunately, the premium one pays for those frames really isn’t worth it. if you can purchase frame that is two-thirds of the cost of another frame and then reinvest that money into better components, you can have a killer rig. I used to ride an RM9, same Thrust Link design and the swingarm was notorious for flexing, there was a ton of noticeable pedal bob because of the suspension design, and it would chew threw sets of bearings to no end. The only thing that really changed on the new RMX versus my RM9 is that better bearings were utilized so they wouldn’t have to be replaced a couple times a season.

First I didn't call you or anyone else 'out', I just find what you say really funny sometimes and you overreacted. This is just your opinion, you don't see me crying about you calling me out bashing on my RMX lol.

Second you are comparing an RM9 to my 08 RMX...ROFL...maybe you chew thru bearings because you ride like a hack? j/k and as far as the swingarms they are different as well, I wonder if your game on the trail is as good as your game is on PB.

Posted: Apr 18, 2008 at 18:56 Quote
and btw when did I even mention a BR, personally I don't like Transition that much but it's just my opinion. Go pop a Midol lol

Posted: Apr 18, 2008 at 19:27 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
I don't really have a point. I was just saying that you call people out for no apparent reason. I have seen a Reign put through its paces and I have also ridden one it is definitely one of the better frames out there. Are you honestly going to say that a Bottle Rocket is better than a Reign? A Specialized SX frame is more expensive and is heavier than the Reign. The only bikes that may be better or are equally as good are the Nomad and 6.6. Unfortunately, the premium one pays for those frames really isn’t worth it. if you can purchase frame that is two-thirds of the cost of another frame and then reinvest that money into better components, you can have a killer rig. I used to ride an RM9, same Thrust Link design and the swingarm was notorious for flexing, there was a ton of noticeable pedal bob because of the suspension design, and it would chew threw sets of bearings to no end. The only thing that really changed on the new RMX versus my RM9 is that better bearings were utilized so they wouldn’t have to be replaced a couple times a season.

Laurie, do you know what the 08 Reign frame is worth? I was just wondering. Imo, there is a bunch of frames out right now that are as good or better than the Nomad or 6.6. I just came off of a Chumba Evo and it was the ducks nuts for a do everything rig. Burly enough for hucking and it was an excellent pedaling bike. No pedal feed back, noticeable bob, or brake jack. It was a Horst link design and I would pick it over a 6.6 and Nomad easily. No contest.

I just checked out a Banshee Rune at Bow Cycle a little while ago and it is also at the top of the heap. The Rune is a hybrid dw/short link 6" suspension design. I have talked to riders who have gone from a Nomad to the Rune and they think the Rune is a better bike. The Rune also uses bushings instead of bearings and it is cheaper than a Nomad or 6.6 and comes stock with a seat post, extra hangers and hardware. If Banshee had the advertising budget of SC or Giant, the Rune would be the most talked about bike right now. I like the small company vibe though and having a bike that every Tom, Dick, and Harry isn't riding is a bonus. I think the Rune is going to be very popular though. It also comes down to opinion and there are a few different suspension designs that work very well and it is impossible to name a clear winner. I think the newer hybrid DW link/short link designs are very cool though. I also think that a well designed Horst link frame works very well. Chumba, Titus, Knolly, and Nicolai are popular smaller companies doing very well with the hl. I prefer both the DW design and HL to vpp. Just my preference.

Some other frames that I would rather have than a vpp bike.

Canfield Balance or one
Knolly Endorphin
Turner RFX or 5.5 spot
Nicolai
Giant
Devinci makes a very nice HL frame.
Titus El Guapo
Ventana El Terremoto or X-5

Mod
Posted: Apr 18, 2008 at 19:34 Quote
ronny wrote:
Canfield Balance or one
Knolly Endorphin
Turner RFX or 5.5 spot
Nicolai
Giant
Titus El Guapo

Nice list of bikes there to choose from. I guess you could always throw Scott into the mix too. Only problem is that a lot of the frames listed are very expensive.

The Reign X frame is listed on Giant USA's website for $1250. It comes with a Fox DHX 3.0 which isn't the best rear shock in the world but for the price, you can't beat it.

O+
Posted: Apr 18, 2008 at 19:43 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
ronny wrote:
Canfield Balance or one
Knolly Endorphin
Turner RFX or 5.5 spot
Nicolai
Giant
Titus El Guapo

Nice list of bikes there to choose from. I guess you could always throw Scott into the mix too. Only problem is that a lot of the frames listed are very expensive.

The Reign X frame is listed on Giant USA's website for $1250. It comes with a Fox DHX 3.0 which isn't the best rear shock in the world but for the price, you can't beat it.

I was actually contemplating buying a Reign X0 frame and I was quoted a little over$1600 CDN here in Calgary, $3800 for the whole bike. I ended up going with the Rune (btw, I agree with you wholeheartedly, Ronny) out of loyalty to Banshee but I think a Reign X0 is an excellent choice too.

Posted: Apr 18, 2008 at 19:49 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
ronny wrote:
Canfield Balance or one
Knolly Endorphin
Turner RFX or 5.5 spot
Nicolai
Giant
Titus El Guapo

That is a good price for the Reign. The Banshee Rune lists for 1499 US with an rp23. There is a 16 dollar up charge for the evolver isx6 on the Rune. The Chumba EVO also lists for 1499.00 US. The Chumba XCL lists for $1349.00. The rest on my list are at the 2k range or more.

I do think the Giant Reign offers the best bang for the buck in the biz. Hard to go wrong.

Posted: Apr 18, 2008 at 19:55 Quote
yes mastro suspension rules!!!!!

Posted: Apr 18, 2008 at 20:07 Quote
slish wrote:
laurie1 wrote:
ronny wrote:
Canfield Balance or one
Knolly Endorphin
Turner RFX or 5.5 spot
Nicolai
Giant
Titus El Guapo

Hey Slish, how did you set up your Rune and have you had it out yet? I am really close to pulling the trigger on one of these puppies. l might go for a fork deal as well. I am still considering a couple of other frames though. I liked my Chumba but wouldn't mind trying out a different suspension design.

I was actually contemplating buying a Reign X0 frame and I was quoted a little over$1600 CDN here in Calgary, $3800 for the whole bike. I ended up going with the Rune (btw, I agree with you wholeheartedly, Ronny) out of loyalty to Banshee but I think a Reign X0 is an excellent choice too.

Posted: Apr 18, 2008 at 20:23 Quote
louis2468routier wrote:
X0 has overall lighter parts. You put a lighter wheelset (Mavic Crossmax SX) and your a little over 30 pounds...
if by a little, you mean almost 4 pounds, then yeah, just a little.

if you go for the reign, get a complete. they come really well spec'd for the price. giants are the best deals in the industry

Mod
Posted: Apr 18, 2008 at 20:25 Quote
The Reign X0 is pretty light. I think this was 30-31 pounds.
photo

Posted: Apr 18, 2008 at 20:29 Quote
no way. i see he swapped the fork for a float which is a bit lighter and he swapped the brakes, but realistically speaking, he didn't lose 2-4 pounds by doing that. the x0 stock, is 33.7 according to MBA's scale, not giant's

O+
Posted: Apr 18, 2008 at 20:31 Quote
It also looks like they swaped out: Wheels, seat, chainguide, and pedals.

Mod
Posted: Apr 18, 2008 at 20:32 Quote
In deed. You are underestimating what was done to it.

Posted: Apr 18, 2008 at 20:41 Quote
dylanvarkonja wrote:
It also looks like they swaped out: Wheels, seat, chainguide, and pedals.
chain guide would add weight and MBA weighed it with spd clipless pedals, so flats would add weight. i have no clue how much those wheels weighs o i won't comment; but the stock saddle is a wtb race saddle, not exactly chunky, so i doubt he lost any weight there.

O+
Posted: Apr 18, 2008 at 20:45 Quote
I never said he lost weight with any of those changes, I was just stating that he also swapped those parts out.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015649
Mobile Version of Website