question about crashes?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
question about crashes?
Previous Page |
Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 17:23 Quote
just wondering about how many times one crashes a week, because i seem to be doing it fairly often lately, about 5-6 times a week

p.s. if this post is in the wrong section, im more than happy to change itBig Grin

peace

Mod
Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 17:29 Quote
normally 0 to 1.. unless I am riding Whistler... than like 1 to 2 times a day.

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 17:44 Quote
It really depends what I'm riding where I'm riding and if I'm trying new tricks or just riding. And it depends on what you define as a crash. Not landing the trick? Or being separated from your bike? Actually falling onto the ground?

If I'm trying a new trick, the sky's the limit. At the moment I've been riding a lot of street so generally 1-5 times just because I like to go big tup .

I do have some of the best falls around however Wink . My buddies can back that one up. Beer

Brandon

Mod Plus
Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 17:51 Quote
Depending on severity of falls I would say at least once a day just from trying new things... but generally thats just falling on my ass or something mild like that... I usually have a big crash about once every two or so weeks where I get to eat dirt and clean up some cuts.

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 19:17 Quote
I have crashed a bunch in a day trying things. There was a point where it was 2 or 3 a day. If you count ejects then lots, but on avrage 1 or 2 a week. The last few years though I tried to cut that down. I think last year I crashed twice and this twice, both were pretty harsh. No broken bones but I heard a ligiment snap in my ankel and damadged my ACL I had replaced last fall.

Posted: Oct 11, 2007 at 19:33 Quote
If you dont crash you arent riding hard enough. I usually try new stuff everyday, so tons a day. But I haven't had a crash were I got beaten up for a while.

Posted: Oct 15, 2007 at 17:58 Quote
when i ride street like 20 times a day but djs like 3-4 times a week

Posted: Oct 15, 2007 at 18:02 Quote
if im ridin trails, 2-4, i always try to go faster and brake less, and i usually crash a decent bit, and foir djs, usually never if im just hitting them, but if a trying a new trick, a decent amount, usually 3 times a day

Posted: Oct 15, 2007 at 18:40 Quote
Don't worry about crashing mate it's all part of it, it being the learning process. As people have said in other posts if you don't crash you're not trying hard enough or new things. This sport like most things is all about progression. In my crashing experience and believe me I've had my share the most important thing is not to tense up and go a little limp and generally you come out sweet, but sometimes shit happens and you get hammered. Also remember that speed is your friend keep the hammer down as sometimes brakes can be your worst enemy!! Just bang on that protective armour and rip it up. Last year I broke my ankle and my wrist and 3 months ago earned a nice wee flight in a rescue chopper from braking a vertabra, 2 ribs, splitting my sternum and collapsing a lung....It was awesome, got a good story to tell, a month off work and a new helmet and front wheel, Very Nice!! tup

Posted: Oct 15, 2007 at 18:42 Quote
i havnt crashed since june 25th

Posted: Oct 15, 2007 at 19:15 Quote
i really only crash when i'm trying new stuff, or getting lazy with old stuff. when im trying new tricks on djs, i crash until i get the trick. or sometimes, when im just doing old simple stuff, i crash (whipped out on a jump awkwardly, nosed, feet slipped off, lost my pedals, and crashed into the next berm, or screwed up a no footer, and crashed into the next berm or jump.

most of the crashes i have are just stupid crashes, front tire slips off of bridge, i lose my pedals, i whip out too much, lean back in a manual too much, slide out, w/e.

a funny one i had a while ago was i was trying my friends fully rigid bike on djs. i go around our rythem track, towards the two big tables. right before the first big table, i hit some bumpy section, sketch out, launch full speed off the table, land on an angle, try to go for the next table. at this point i know i can't make it so i try steering for the hip to the right of the table's lip. (placed 2 or 3 feet before the table). i lose my balance, and i get thrown off the bike as it goes up the hip and i go towards the regular table lip. i land side first onto the edge of the lip after being projected a few feet into the air. that was fun.

i sometimes go weeks without crashing, i sometimes can't go an hour without crashing.usually though its about 0-3 bad crashes a day, depending on how cautious, energetic and extreme i'm feeling.

but crahsing is all part of the learning experience, so i do not regret it.

Posted: Oct 15, 2007 at 19:48 Quote
when i ride park/street i fall atleast 4 times a day just doing lines i can already do.
When i ride park/street and try new lines/ tricks it can be way too many times to count in one day, either till im to tired to ride or till i injure myself or i run out of day light. its hard to say how much u crash in a week becasue every week is diffrent, and u cant always ride every day of the week. but i guess in an average week 20+ crashes. if u classify bails and landing on feet and running away, and fall. 80+ bails/crashes

Posted: Oct 15, 2007 at 21:02 Quote
scottthedjking wrote:
i havnt crashed since june 25th

you're not trying hard enough.

Posted: Oct 15, 2007 at 21:04 Quote
just broke my collarbone trying an x-up last saturday. loved every minute of it

Posted: Oct 16, 2007 at 16:14 Quote
I make the mistake many i am sure have made when watching too much Ryan Leech stuff.

Last week, i was sitting at home doing a 200th re-run of the collective DVD, and at 9am in the morning going straight from my lounge i found myself trying to balance on this 2inch skinny rail which was about 30mtrs long & 2ft high whilst my buddy ran his video on my new 24" NS Suburban.

No warmup, nothing, (What was i thinking?)

OK no run up to the rail, as the bike has to be lifted up onto the rail whilst i balance against the wall.

Ok, Balancing and wobbling as i try to crank forward and then:

Front wheel slip - Crash
Back wheel slip - Crash
Bike side slips - Crash and backslam
Front Wheel slips again, - Crash Shoulder Slam

10 try's and 10 crash's later, i looked at my mate and said:

"Maybe we should do this another time" and with that we both cracked up and headed off to the skatepark.

Ones gotta know ones limitations, but i will no doubt visit that rail again some time soon.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013357
Mobile Version of Website